Is my weight ok?

Options
terrafwa
terrafwa Posts: 3 Member
Hello!

People in my family think I'm underweight. What do you think? I’m currently a 21 year female. I am 4’11, & 87.3 lbs. I’ve always been tiny,& small framed. I eat pretty healthy,& trying to cut out dairy as I think it upsets my stomach.

Replies

• 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    It might be helpful if you post a pic. It does sound like you are underweight but a picture would be more helpful.
  • candicew70
    candicew70 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I weight close to twice what you do lol :) If they're concerned because you don't eat, don't seem to be taking care your health, etc, that makes sense. But what do YOU think? Do you follow good eating habits? Do you think you need to gain weight to be healthier? If you want to make a change, do it for you--not because someone else thinks you should. It sounds like you have a very small build. I'd genuinely thank them for their concern, and let them know that you're fine.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what you expect people to say here... all we can say is that according to BMI charts, you are underweight (but close to the cut-off).

Has your weight changed recently, or is there something specifically that your family is concerned about, like avoiding dairy?
    Have you had a check-up recently?
  • terrafwa
    Options
    Honestly, my family eats crap (lots of processed,& sugary foods),& I try to eat healthy as possible,but I allow myself a treat once a day. So that could be it. And I love cheese & yogurt, but I always feel sick after. Which sucks

Nothing has changed with my weight much,
  • dolcezza25
    dolcezza25 Posts: 136 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You're underweight. I'm 4'10.5" petite framed and my healthy weight is 107 (size 0 at that point). I have a friend who is 4'11" who can get down to 95 and look good but no lower for her - I look sickly below 104. Point being, everyone is different, but that is very very low.
  • try2again
    edited August 2018
    Options
    terrafwa wrote: »
    Honestly, my family eats crap (lots of processed,& sugary foods),& I try to eat healthy as possible,but I allow myself a treat once a day. So that could be it. And I love cheese & yogurt, but I always feel sick after. Which sucks

Nothing has changed with my weight much,

So, is avoiding dairy a recent thing? Because I can see where, if you are already underweight and then they see you beginning to cut out an entire food group, that would cause concern. Are they aware of your dietary issues and are they seeing you make an effort to replace those calories with other things? And again... why not have your doctor weigh in on this?

What do you consider a "healthy" diet, BTW?

• terrafwa
    Options
    I eat basically eat everything else! Nuts(PB addiction here), grains(rice, whole grains, sweet potatos, quinoa, oats, stuff like that), animal products(eggs, fish, chicken, turkey, beef,& pork), fruit,& veggies.

Yes, I try to make up for it. I’ll have almomd milk + protein powder,& I’m currentely trying to find decent DF yogurt(so far everything I’ve had suck, suggestions welcome.) & cheese
  • try2again
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I eat basically eat everything else! Nuts(PB addiction here), grains(rice, whole grains, sweet potatos, quinoa, oats, stuff like that), animal products(eggs, fish, chicken, turkey, beef,& pork), fruit,& veggies.

Yes, I try to make up for it. I’ll have almomd milk + protein powder,& I’m currentely trying to find decent DF yogurt(so far everything I’ve had suck, suggestions welcome.) & cheese

That's good that you have a varied diet. :)

We're back to where we started though. No one here can tell you that you're not underweight. You're the only one that really knows if that's just the way you are or if it's maybe the result of aspiring to something you shouldn't be, but as long as you don't lose anymore weight and are properly fueling your body (both quality and quantity), it may not be a cause for concern. I don't know if you are blowing off the suggestion about seeing your doctor, or if maybe you're unaccustomed to seeing a doctor routinely or can't for some reason, but that's the best thing you could possibly do, and it might have the added benefit of quieting your family's criticism. Wish you the best :)

Edited to add: If the digestive issues are a recent development, a visit to the Dr. is definitely in order.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Hello!

People in my family think I'm underweight. What do you think? I’m currently a 21 year female. I am 4’11, & 87.3 lbs. I’ve always been tiny,& small framed. I eat pretty healthy,& trying to cut out dairy as I think it upsets my stomach.

You are my height and weigh less than I do. Because of stress, I have lost a bit of weight over the last few months and if I was to weigh any less I'd be underweight according to my BMI. I am now regaining that weight to enable me to be fitter and stronger. Your family is correct. You are underweight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I think you're underweight
  • jlsmith4439
    jlsmith4439 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    No I don’t think it is okay , maybe you need to really consider looking I to your diet since you not as healthy as you might think ?!
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    BMI indicates you're slightly underweight. How do you feel?
  • try2again
    Options
    What can you use "what people think" for? You are technically underweight at a BMI of 17.6, that's not up to thinking/feeling, it's an observation, not a judgement. Healthy eating includes eating enough. If you're underweight, you're not eating enough. So, maybe more constructive - do you yourself think that your weight is okay? (Are you in doubt, is that why you ask?) Do you struggle with eating enough? Do you think you shouldn't eat more than you do? Do you have trouble with swallowing, or feeling stuffed too soon? Anything else, just to troubleshoot?

Completely agree that you should consider these questions, OP. If you bothered to ask, you must realize there is a basis for concern. But only you know what the real issues are.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options

Side note - if you are lactose intolerant you can still have certain cheeses. Essentially if it is a hard cheese like cheddar, gouda, parmesan, etc you can still eat it. I am SEVERELY lactose intolerant and can safely eat as much as I want of those cheeses. Also, lactose-free dairy milk can replace regular milk in recipes like mac'n'cheese. Just watch out if you use a soy milk or nut milk, as the flavors can conflict with recipe.
  • rsj7799
    rsj7799 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This is a question for your doctor. And you can ask your doctor about your lactose intolerance while you are there too.
  • corysmithsmail
    corysmithsmail Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You sound like you are lactose intolerant. You should see a doctor to get a better idea. That may just be your natural weight. As long as you are eating when you feel hungry and not depriving yourself, I don't think you should force yourself to eat when you are already full just to get a weight your family is comfortable with. The decision is between you and your doctor in my opinion.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    You have heard what your BMI tells us. There are other pertinent questions - are you small boned, very petite? (not everyone who is short is "petite") More importantly, do your bones stick out - like your shoulder bones, are your forearms smaller than your wrists and elbows. Are you seeing yourself fatter than as others see you? You definitely should see a doctor and ask him. You could have an overactive thyroid for example. Your Dr. will likely ask for a complete fasting blood panel, which will tell him where you are in terms of your overall health. Believe me, a Dr. will not tell you that you are too thin if you are about right for your frame, and your blood numbers are good.
    I would not worry about what family thinks, as much as what your Dr. thinks. And why not try a lactose free milk and see how that makes you feel with regard to the dairy concerns.