Really that much water???

Options
2»

Replies

• hilhall822
    hilhall822 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I teach, so I can leave the room to pee every 1/2 hour- I usually drink coffee in the morning, tea at lunch and start drinking water at the last half of my last class, and pound it from there (I hit the gym after work, too). I've tried drinking a lot of water throughout the day in the summer but my body (or bladder?) doesn't seem to adjust.
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    For the science loving nay sayers:

Feel Fuller
    According to the Mayo Clinic, foods that are low in energy density make individuals feel as full as foods that are higher. For example, a piece of cake will take up the same physical space as a stack of celery, and both foods will occupy the same amount of space in the stomach. Because of the high water content of celery, however, it has far fewer calories than cake. Fruits and vegetables in general tend to have a lower energy density because they contain more water. A grapefruit, states the Mayo Clinic, is made up of 90 percent water, and half a grapefruit only contains 38 calories. Sticking to foods with high water content, like carrots, which contain 88 percent water, is a better way to control hunger than limiting portions of foods that contain lower water content.

Metabolic Benefits
    In a study published by Obesity Magazine, 48 middle-aged men and women were divided into two groups of 24. Researchers assigned both groups a diet in which their calories were restricted, but only one group was instructed to consume 16 ounces of water before eating every meal. The individuals in the group drinking the water lost 44 percent more weight overall than the group that was not drinking water before each meal. Because both groups were eating the same calorie-restricted diet, the water group's additional weight loss may lead to more information about the metabolic effects of water and whether or not speeding of the metabolic rate occurs when drinking water before a meal.

Not to start a war here, but your first point is to food with high water content--not 8+ cups of water a day.

In the second study, we can't simply surmise that water caused people to lose weight. For instance, what if the others were drinking sugary soft drinks, juice or sugary sports drinks like gatorade (a common problem with obese folks) instead of water. In that case, the water did not cause the weight loss, rather skipping sugary soft drinks do.

I would like to see a medical study that conclusively states that drinking 8+ cups of water a day has benefits. I haven't seen it yet. I have nothing against water. I'm just not convinced.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

Feel Fuller
    According to the Mayo Clinic, foods that are low in energy density make individuals feel as full as foods that are higher. For example, a piece of cake will take up the same physical space as a stack of celery, and both foods will occupy the same amount of space in the stomach. Because of the high water content of celery, however, it has far fewer calories than cake. Fruits and vegetables in general tend to have a lower energy density because they contain more water. A grapefruit, states the Mayo Clinic, is made up of 90 percent water, and half a grapefruit only contains 38 calories. Sticking to foods with high water content, like carrots, which contain 88 percent water, is a better way to control hunger than limiting portions of foods that contain lower water content.

Metabolic Benefits
    In a study published by Obesity Magazine, 48 middle-aged men and women were divided into two groups of 24. Researchers assigned both groups a diet in which their calories were restricted, but only one group was instructed to consume 16 ounces of water before eating every meal. The individuals in the group drinking the water lost 44 percent more weight overall than the group that was not drinking water before each meal. Because both groups were eating the same calorie-restricted diet, the water group's additional weight loss may lead to more information about the metabolic effects of water and whether or not speeding of the metabolic rate occurs when drinking water before a meal.

Your first paragraph has nothing to do with drinking water.

The second study (here: http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v18/n2/abs/oby2009235a.html), actually doesn't confirm that just drinking more water before a meal leads to more weight weight loss. In fact, those who drank more water pre-meal felt fuller, and therefore ended up eating less during their meal, which is likely what caused their weight loss.

So, in terms of weight loss, if drinking a ton of water may cause weight loss because water makes you feel full, and your goal really is only weight loss, then sure, by all means, drink a ton of water. But there just is no science in terms of the water itself causing weight loss or drinking more having any overall health benefits.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Yes I have practiced that too. Really makes you stick to your diet when you know that as you lose it means less water to drink. My doctor said only water counted...not tea, ice tea, lemonade...just plain water. I have to keep a note pad by my desk so that I can count them out. I hate drinking water so much that I will drink two 12 oz glasses of water...I should say chug them while standing by the water cooler. I can't sip them. It has to be done and gone. Of course, the joy of it all....I pee it all out about 15 minutes later!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    "The Solution to Pollution is Dilution"

I drink a minimum of 1 full gallon of pure water per day...If I drink less, I start retaining water and I get a headache...It's good for you...Water has been replaced far too long by diet sodas, sugar free drink mixes and the like...Believe me, the more water you drink, the more your body will eventually crave it....Do yourself a favor and drink more water...*cheers*...
    I heart this
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    That does sound like a lot of water. Yesterday I drank 14 glasses of water and yes I pee all the time but I think that now that I'm used to it if I don't drink at least 10 I feel yucky. I say do what your doctor recommends.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I drink 16-20 glasses of water on regular days....upwards of 24-28 if I am highly active.
  • martalaurazayas
    martalaurazayas Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't drink that much water. Too much water is bad for you. I tend to make sure my urine is some what clear and my mouth is never dry. That's how I measure how much water to drink.
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I go for 8 bare minimum after that I listen to my body.

For example, I just went to get a glass for my bedside. Took a sip and ended up having 3 pints because my body obviously needed it.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Feel Fuller

Metabolic Benefits

The second study (here: http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v18/n2/abs/oby2009235a.html), actually doesn't confirm that just drinking more water before a meal leads to more weight weight loss. In fact, those who drank more water pre-meal felt fuller, and therefore ended up eating less during their meal, which is likely what caused their weight loss.

So, in terms of weight loss, if drinking a ton of water may cause weight loss because water makes you feel full, and your goal really is only weight loss, then sure, by all means, drink a ton of water. But there just is no science in terms of the water itself causing weight loss or drinking more having any overall health benefits.

It actually has everything to do with drinking water. If you eat it or drink it, it's still water and still fills you up(not to mention it all goes the same place...). And um....weight loss, isn't that the goal of most people here?
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I drink about 5-8, 20oz bottles a day….
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options

Feel Fuller

Metabolic Benefits

It actually has everything to do with drinking water. If you eat it or drink it, it's still water and still fills you up(not to mention it all goes the same place...). And um....weight loss, isn't that the goal of most people here?

My goal is health. You can lose all the weight you want, be skinny, ripped, and still not be healthy, Health is entirely different. So, yes, if I wanted some quick and easy way to lose weight and convince myself that I must be healthy because I'm skinnier, then yes, I would be drinking a ton of water. I'd also be on some fad diet that last for 10 days, or shoving a bunch of meat in my face because someone says protein is all that matters, or drinking fiber powder and water because a ton of fiber might help me lose weight. If I isolate losing weight as my only goal here, then I'm not doing it right, and I'm not doing anything that is going to keep me healthy for the rest of my life.

This is why I said if YOUR goal is to just lose weight, then by all means.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    My goal is health. You can lose all the weight you want, be skinny, ripped, and still not be healthy, Health is entirely different. So, yes, if I wanted some quick and easy way to lose weight and convince myself that I must be healthy because I'm skinnier, then yes, I would be drinking a ton of water. I'd also be on some fad diet that last for 10 days, or shoving a bunch of meat in my face because someone says protein is all that matters, or drinking fiber powder and water because a ton of fiber might help me lose weight. If I isolate losing weight as my only goal here, then I'm not doing it right, and I'm not doing anything that is going to keep me healthy for the rest of my life.

Surely you don't think drinking a lot of water is UNhealthy, do you? It's far from going for a fad diet or fasting, by a long shot, neither of which I do for the record. That's kind of the message you're sending though...that drinking water is dumb and unhealthy, am I right?

P.S.: I see you're a Seattlite as well :)
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options

Surely you don't think drinking a lot of water is UNhealthy, do you? It's far from going for a fad diet or fasting, by a long shot, neither of which I do for the record. That's kind of the message you're sending though...that drinking water is dumb and unhealthy, am I right?

P.S.: I see you're a Seattlite as well :)

No way, I never meant to imply that drinking water is unhealthy. We need water, obviously. I'm just not a fan of telling people they need at least 8 glasses of water a day or they are just unhealthy and they won't lose weight. Or that they will somehow lose more weight than other people who don't drink as much water. Or that we somehow hold on to "toxins" if we don't drink a certain amount of water. The amount of water we should consume is different for everybody, and as I said there isn't really any science out there that shows 8-10 glasses a day does anything in terms of overall health.

And yes! I am a Seattleite.. for almost a year now. :smile:
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    I like 20oz mardis gras cups so every glass is 2.5cups.

We have loads of those!
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    You know, I've always, for as long as I can remember (teenage years for sure), drank a lot of water. I'll tell you one thing: I have really nice skin and always have.

Today I decided to track my water intake, and so far I've had nearly 18 cups. It explains why I pee so much, but it also explains the compliments I get on my skin I'm sure.
  • leyna6388
    Options
    the problem with only drinking when you are thirsty, is that by that time you are already dehydrated. Lots of water is good. But at the same time don't feel pressured to drink 22cups a day. Set up goals and work your way up, and if you dont get it in everyday, i'm pretty sure you'll be okay :)
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    the problem with only drinking when you are thirsty, is that by that time you are already dehydrated. Lots of water is good. But at the same time don't feel pressured to drink 22cups a day. Set up goals and work your way up, and if you dont get it in everyday, i'm pretty sure you'll be okay :)

Good sound advice and I'm glad to see things becoming less confrontational as the day wears to an end.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    The British Medical Journal just published an article that claims to debunk the 8 glasses of water myth. I don't have a strong opinion on the issue, but it does appear to be pushed by large bottled water companies, which makes me wary. It reminds me of Corn Growers (High Fructose Corn Syrup) and Honey Producers trying to covince people of how healthy their products are.

Excerpt:
    Dr McCartney explains that “it says on the NHS Choices website, ‘Try to drink about six to eight glasses of water (or other fluids) a day to prevent dehydration’. This is not only nonsense, but is thoroughly debunked nonsense. There is no published scientific evidence to support these claims – we have known this since a review of the evidence carried out in 2002.”

The entire article:
    http://www.bmj.com/content/343/bmj.d4280.extract

That doesn't make sense since the recommendation has been around since way before bottled water was the rage. Back when egads we drank from the faucet. Wow I'm getting old, I still drink from the faucet, how outdated and not with it am I? It's best to stay hydrated , everyones different, but we are made up of a lot of water.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The British Medical Journal just published an article that claims to debunk the 8 glasses of water myth. I don't have a strong opinion on the issue, but it does appear to be pushed by large bottled water companies, which makes me wary. It reminds me of Corn Growers (High Fructose Corn Syrup) and Honey Producers trying to covince people of how healthy their products are.

Excerpt:
    Dr McCartney explains that “it says on the NHS Choices website, ‘Try to drink about six to eight glasses of water (or other fluids) a day to prevent dehydration’. This is not only nonsense, but is thoroughly debunked nonsense. There is no published scientific evidence to support these claims – we have known this since a review of the evidence carried out in 2002.”

The entire article:
    http://www.bmj.com/content/343/bmj.d4280.extract

That doesn't make sense since the recommendation has been around since way before bottled water was the rage. Back when egads we drank from the faucet. Wow I'm getting old, I still drink from the faucet, how outdated and not with it am I? It's best to stay hydrated , everyones different, but we are made up of a lot of water.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

Just to clarify, the BMJ article was referencing recent publicity blitzes in England such as campaigns to schools that were funded by Water Companies. Its in the article.

Here is an excerpt from the Mayo Clinic article that you linked. I think the last sentence pretty well sums up the whole argument:

Eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Another approach to water intake is the "8 x 8 rule" — drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day (about 1.9 liters). The rule could also be stated, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," as all fluids count toward the daily total. Although the approach really isn't supported by scientific evidence, many people use this easy-to-remember rule as a guideline for how much water and other fluids to drink.