Type 2 Diabetes and Ulcerated Colitis

Options
I have a close family member with ulcerated colitis and type 2 diabetes. She is in her 60s and rather thin now, due to the colitis symptoms. Her diabetes was brought on by the low fiber diet she adapted to help sooth the colitis symptoms.

The medical professionals she saw were rather unhelpful, saying things like "different things trigger different people". She doesn't get excited about food anymore - very uncharacteristic of her - because the two diets (for UC and Diabetes) are so much at odds with each other.

I'm wondering if others have both of these diseases and what kinds of recipes you cook?

Going keto is out of the question for her - just putting that out there in advance.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately different things do trigger different people and the only way to figure out your personal triggers is trial and error. I agree with low fiber though for sure.
  • dolcezza25
    dolcezza25 Posts: 136 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Unfortunately different things do trigger different people and the only way to figure out your personal triggers is trial and error. I agree with low fiber though for sure.

At sixty three years old that is a rather cruel thing for her to experience with "trial and error" given the symptoms.

I'm hoping to find people who have both diseases and might be able to share their recipes.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    @dolcezza25 unfortunately it's true though. I have Crohn's disease and have many, many friends who have Crohn's or ulcerative colitis and each one of us has different triggers. What works for me doesn't work for them and vice versa. Plus what is safe one day for me can ve a trigger the next.There is no one ulcerative colitis diet.
  • singingflutelady
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @dolcezza25 what medications is she on and which ones has she tried? Has she considered surgery? If it is unmanageable perhaps it is time to go down that route. Some people, including myself, don't do well on diet alone. Until there is a cure "trial and error" is all we have.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I have ulcerative colitis and prediabetes. Keeping a food diary will prove invaluable to your family member because she will be able to, over time, identify what makes her symptoms worse. It may not be food at all but life stresses.
  • dolcezza25
    dolcezza25 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have ulcerative colitis and prediabetes. Keeping a food diary will prove invaluable to your family member because she will be able to, over time, identify what makes her symptoms worse. It may not be food at all but life stresses.

I've suggested this to her and she has pretty much ignored it, but continues to complain. I want to do what I can to help, but when she's not advocating for herself, it's frustrating.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    dolcezza25 wrote: »

I've suggested this to her and she has pretty much ignored it, but continues to complain. I want to do what I can to help, but when she's not advocating for herself, it's frustrating.

If she won't take the initiative herself, I'm not sure you can do much to help her. She needs to figure out what her triggers are and how to fit that into a balanced diabetic diet. It won't be easy or fun, but at the end of the day, she will feel better more often. She needs to want that.