Almond vs nonfat Cow’s milk

Options
2»

Replies

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I use both,,if I'm making a protein shake I tend to use the almond milk,everything else I use Fairlife
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    They have different nutrition profiles. Almond milk has more calcium; skim milk has more protein. Drink two cups of almond milk instead of one cup skim milk and you’ve cancelled the calorie advantage.

I had an almond allergy that seems to have calmed down. So I reach for the dairy.

I digest yogurt a lot better than milk. But that’s just me.

Keep in mind that the calcium in almond milk varies quite a lot because none of it is natural, so it depends on how much (if any) your favored brand uses in their vitamin/mineral mix.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    They have different nutrition profiles. Almond milk has more calcium; skim milk has more protein. Drink two cups of almond milk instead of one cup skim milk and you’ve cancelled the calorie advantage.

I had an almond allergy that seems to have calmed down. So I reach for the dairy.

I digest yogurt a lot better than milk. But that’s just me.

Keep in mind that the calcium in almond milk varies quite a lot because none of it is natural, so it depends on how much (if any) your favored brand uses in their vitamin/mineral mix.

In addition to that, the naturally occurring calcium in milk has a good bioavailability, so you can't compare unless you know exactly the type of calcium added to almond milk because your body can only benefit from certain percentages depending on the type.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk is very low calorie. But I just prefer cow milk.
  • jenny2752
    jenny2752 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!