Low carb/cab cycling?

Options
If anyone doing low carb can u plz tell me how low of carb have u gone n lost weight. I'm finding carbs are a cause big gains for me. I also suffer from fibromyalgia n been told to lose weight n cut down on carbs n up my protein n fat? Good fat! Has it worked for any of u's. I also hate cooking in the morning too so meal replacement there straight away. 11g of carb with the one I'm using atm. Thanks

Replies

• jsb0726
    jsb0726 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I consume less than 35g a day lost a lot the first month and now it’s a stead 1-2 lbs a week. I’ve gone as low as 10 gm a day. But if your doing a low carb or keto diet just keep them under 50 total carbs a day. Low carb isn’t for everyone so you just need to expierement with it. But do your research on what you need to add to your daily diet to avoid the low energy and headaches that come with low carbs.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't cause fat gain any more than protein or fat.... Excess calories from any source do that.

If you try to eat less carbs for a while then eat more carbs, you'll experience a gain in weight from holding more water. This isn't fat gain.

If you hate cooking in the morning, skip breakfast, or eat something that doesnt require cooking (it could be something you prepare in advance)

If low carb helps your health condition, do that, but it's not necessary for weight loss. Focus on your calorie deficit
  • Vampire81
    Vampire81 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all ur advice 😊
  • Dkenya2017
    Dkenya2017 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am doing Keto and it is working for me. Do your research as there is loads of wrong info out there. It is a lifestyle change and to be honest I do not miss or crave carbs (bread, rice, pasta) as the food you eat on Keto is filling and satisfying. I eat 20gms carbs a day and still get my 5-7 serves of vegetables (fruit is more problematic), I use good oils like avocado, macadamia, olive oil over butter, heavy cream and cheese. So far lost 5kgs in just under 1 month.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Dkenya2017 wrote: »
    I am doing Keto and it is working for me. Do your research as there is loads of wrong info out there. It is a lifestyle change and to be honest I do not miss or crave carbs (bread, rice, pasta) as the food you eat on Keto is filling and satisfying. I eat 20gms carbs a day and still get my 5-7 serves of vegetables (fruit is more problematic), I use good oils like avocado, macadamia, olive oil over butter, heavy cream and cheese. So far lost 5kgs in just under 1 month.

Glad you found something that works for you. That being said, there is nothing wrong with butter heavy cream or cheese. They are not "bad" fats. Other than trans fats, there are not good and bad fats. It it just context and dose.
  • Cascadae
    Cascadae Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I been doing carb cycling for 52 days now but staying in caloric deficit it's good for losing body fat
    Lost 11 pounds so far, its flexible but i dont cut my carbs too low not good because you will feel exhausted like hell, i do three days of 120 grams of carbs and one load day with 250 grams
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I follow UD2 by Lyle McDonald, so 4 days of low carb to keto, 2 days of super high carb and a normal day of eating.

So i go for net 50g on my keto days and 500g or more on my high carb days.. mix this in with glycogen depletion, hypertrophy and strength workouts. I am averaging a little over a lb a week, which is perfect for me since i am pretty lean already.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I say give keto a try. For many, carbs can be inflammatory and keto diet helps reduce it. Not liking to cook in the morning you could probably just skip morning meal and not miss it. You get a lot of a calorie is a calorie but carbs can cause cravings that do not seem to happen on a LCHF diet. It works for some but it can only be determined after trying it. It has worked well so far for me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I say give keto a try. For many, carbs can be inflammatory and keto diet helps reduce it. Not liking to cook in the morning you could probably just skip morning meal and not miss it. You get a lot of a calorie is a calorie but carbs can cause cravings that do not seem to happen on a LCHF diet. It works for some but it can only be determined after trying it. It has worked well so far for me.

There are many carb based foods that have anti inflammatory properties such as beans, oats, fruits and vegetables. If you look at protocols for RA, cuttint red meatand processed meats can, along with incorporating foods high in omega 3s seem to provide a good benefit.

And the only time i get cravings is while i am doing lchf and keto. Individuals have different responses.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go straight to keto to be low carb. (Which is technically 150g or lower). I had to play with my carbs for health reasons. Too many makes me bloated and sick for days, too little makes me lethargic and lightheaded. With a more moderate intake, you can still enjoy starchy vegetables and fruits, rice, beans, honey, etc, in moderation. Do some research, and lower your carb intake slowly until you find that sweet spot.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »

There are many carb based foods that have anti inflammatory properties such as beans, oats, fruits and vegetables. If you look at protocols for RA, cuttint red meatand processed meats can, along with incorporating foods high in omega 3s seem to provide a good benefit.

And the only time i get cravings is while i am doing lchf and keto. Individuals have different responses.

Exactly. Many anti inflammatory and antioxidant supplements are made from fruit and veggie based sources. And greens, again another carb, are some of the most healthy foods in the world. Also, dark colored berries and grapes with antioxidant properties.