Where are the Nerds??

Replies

• sdanemrtn
    sdanemrtn Posts: 187 Member
    theresa120 wrote: »
    Anyone have any favourite movies/shows you’ve been watching on Netflix?

About to start Lost in Space. Otherwise, nothing nerd worthy. Been working through Hawaii Five-0 and Hell on Wheels.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,960 Member
    Haven't figured out the whole multi-quote thingy on this forum yet (my nerd card is in jeopardy!), but some responses to responses...

--> Yes, my novel is a fantasy genre, available on Amazon in both paperback and e-reader formats. Nothing but great feedback from my readers, few copies sold to anybody not a family member or coworker. (Guess my marketing campaign stinks.) Done as a bucket-list item, my teenage daughter hounded me into writing the sequel (or more accurately prequel); final editing in progress before shopping around for perhaps a real publisher rather than another attempt at self-publishing.

--> I have seen The League, but only the first season.

--> I used to love D&D, and in fact many of the characters in my novel were based upon my old characters from D&D! Alas, I Haven't had a game of D&D since 1995 (sad face). Third edition rules were just hcoming out as I was heading to college, and nobody there had time for anything other than studying and drinking (typically not in that order). After graduation I moved around a lot, and never found anybody else playing. Now they have published fifth edition rules, and I am probably hopelessly lost!

--> The Lord of the Rings novels are pretty intense reading, especially when you're like me and take a college English class breaking them down in a literary sense, lol. (As a science major, this was one of the few English courses I can honestly say I ever enjoyed.) I've read them perhaps a dozen times through, and simply LOVE the movization of them. (If a novel based on a movie is a novelization, then a movie based on a novel is a movization, right?) The two are right on par with each other, though admittedly I am far less enthused about what they did to the Hobbit. How on earth can you get over 10 hours of footage from a 130 page short story?

As a related sidebar, I have found only two occasions where I hands-down prefer the movie over the book. Those two are the Princess Bride and the 13th Warrior (based upon "Eaters of the Dead"). In virtually all other cases, the novels far outstrip the movies, or at minimum are on par.
  • terrordawg
    terrordawg Posts: 19,462 Member
    _JustKev_ wrote: »
    Yeah... Lost in Space, Stranger Things, and The Expanse on DVR. I also watched the first episode of Disenchantment which was pretty good.

I’d like to watch Lost in Space, and will probably start Disenchantment soon. I haven’t heard of The Expanse! Oh and everyone is telling me to watch Westworld so I’ll have to get caught up somehow. So many shows, so little time!
  • solorex
    solorex Posts: 696 Member
    aacst13 wrote: »
    New nerd here. Just joined MyFitnessPal today. I'm into the MCU, animation, disney/pixar, some anime (such as FMA:Brotherhood, Death Note, and my guilty pleasure Yugioh), Game of Thrones, the Discworld books, Harry Potter, and a bunch of other stuff.
    I also love going to cons and cosplay. My biggest hit is Elsa, but I've also done Winry from FMA and lady Thor with some regularity. I've done Deanerys a few times but I haven't made a costume I'm satisfied with yet.
    Let's see, what else?
    Oh, does anyone around here do Zombies, Run!? It's a great, nerdy fitness app that actually got me into running. I've only been doing it for a few weeks but I love it!

Discworld books were a lot of fun. One of the local B&N employees turned me onto the series after picking up a couple Xanth novels from Piers Anthony.
  • yogidani77
    yogidani77 Posts: 6,978 Member

Definitely give Stranger Things a shot!! It is great!
  • terrordawg
    terrordawg Posts: 19,462 Member

Definitely give Stranger Things a shot!! It is great!

Yes! I love Stranger Things! All caught up on it though! Need a new season!!
  • yogidani77
    yogidani77 Posts: 6,978 Member
    @theresa120 YES!!! I can’t wait for the new season to come out!!
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    Altered Carbon is another one that I thought was good. I haven't read any of the books it was based on, but I really liked the series.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Anyone playing No Man's Sky? I bought it not long after it first came out (the first time it was half off on Steam), but never really got into it until now. I'd go back to it after each big update, but with "Next" it's finally clicked with me.
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Reckoner67 wrote: »
    Altered Carbon is another one that I thought was good. I haven't read any of the books it was based on, but I really liked the series.

I really liked altered carbon too. You get different things out of watching a second time then the first time too.
  • sdanemrtn
    sdanemrtn Posts: 187 Member
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    Anyone playing No Man's Sky? I bought it not long after it first came out (the first time it was half off on Steam), but never really got into it until now. I'd go back to it after each big update, but with "Next" it's finally clicked with me.

I bought it a week before Next came out and just waited for the update. I am in love with the game, though I haven't gotten too far, yet.
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 wrote: »

I really liked altered carbon too. You get different things out of watching a second time then the first time too.

I'll have to give it a second run through then, those are the best kinds of media--layered stuff that gets better each time
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    I curl
    The sport
    Doesn't get much worse than that eh
  • Traijan
    Traijan Posts: 8 Member
    edited August 2018
    Yup, I'm a 53 year old nerd. Have over 300 games on Steam (No Man's Sky has made huge improvements in the NEXT update that was released recently, prior to the NEXT update I had about 2 hours, now I've got over 70) other than that, as you can imagine with 300+ games I've played a lot of different games over the last 10 years or so. Some though were just so bad that I might only have one hour play time on them, or some even less. Also enjoy playing Oxygen not included, Mashinky, Civilization 4, 5, 6, Railway Empire, Path of Exile and "Raft". However Raft is terribly optimized, even on my 1070TI, I'm only getting like 28 FPS until it tanks down single digit after 30 minutes.

I build my own computers ever since I bought my first mass produced Compaq, opened it up to put a new card inside only to find that only 2 of the 5 slots lined up with the case slots and they were both already taken, returned it and started building my own.

Ever so thankful now for plug and play... Remembering the days of having to set jumpers on hard drives and other devices.

Used to use BBS's (Bulletin board services) that you dialed into for basic entertainment and information from product manufacturers (ran my own 99 line BBS at one time and thought this new fangled Internet thing will never take off. LOL)
  • Reckoner67
    Traijan wrote: »
    Yup, I'm a 53 year old nerd. Have over 300 games on Steam (No Man's Sky has made huge improvements in the NEXT update that was released recently, prior to the NEXT update I had about 2 hours, now I've got over 70) other than that, as you can imagine with 300+ games I've played a lot of different games over the last 10 years or so. Some though were just so bad that I might only have one hour play time on them, or some even less. Also enjoy playing Oxygen not included, Mashinky, Civilization 4, 5, 6, Railway Empire, Path of Exile and "Raft". However Raft is terribly optimized, even on my 1070TI, I'm only getting like 28 FPS until it tanks down single digit after 30 minutes.

I build my own computers ever since I bought my first mass produced Compaq, opened it up to put a new card inside only to find that only 2 of the 5 slots lined up with the case slots and they were both already taken, returned it and started building my own.

Ever so thankful now for plug and play... Remembering the days of having to set jumpers on hard drives and other devices.

Used to use BBS's (Bulletin board services) that you dialed into for basic entertainment and information from product manufacturers (ran my own 99 line BBS at one time and thought this new fangled Internet thing will never take off. LOL)

Dang, I remember the BBS days! There was a local multi-line BBS I was a member of for a few years. Fond memories, I probably learned a lot of stuff there that I shouldn't have :)
  • Reckoner67
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    I curl
    The sport

If I knew an easy way to give it a try, I would very much try it. We had some sort of championships hosted locally a few years back, I really wanted to go but wasn't able to
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Traijan wrote: »

I have so many good memories of BBS's. Where I lived in NE TX there wasn't local dial-up internet until about '95 so BBS was the only option for a long time. I'd dial into a local BBS, telnet into one about 45 miles away and then I could pull down good news and files and all that from around the D/FW metroplex. Ah, the good ole days. I really kinda miss it. BBS's and mailing lists. I ran a small private one for a while but by that time they started dying out and mine went the way of the dinosaurs.

I typically build my own computers except for the one I'm currently using - got way too good of a deal on a HP Xeon Workstation to it pass up. Someone didn't know what they had and I got it for pennies on the hundred dollar. When this one gets a bit older I'll go back to a homebuilt - currently eying the new Threadripper 2990WX.

• auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    I curl
    The sport

How aboot that, eh!! Hehehe 👍👍 I’ve always been terrible at curling lol
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    I curl
    The sport

How aboot that, eh!! Hehehe 👍👍 I’ve always been terrible at curling lol

I really like it. My husband says I can't be a nerd though cause I was a figure skater first
    I say I can because lady year I played in 3 leagues and practiced once or twice a week.