Food logging and falling off the grid

Options
I realize this going to sound like a silly problem, but here goes.

Periodically I spend extended amounts of time in places beyond the reach of the internet and so am not able to immediately log my food. In those cases I write down what I eat and plug everything into my food diary after I get back to civilization, but my "streak" always resets to zero. I realize the consecutive login streak is just a number, but I was so proud of hitting three digits a couple weeks ago! And now I'm back to single digits. :/

I assume there's a cutoff time that resets the counter since I can complete my food entry the following morning if I forget at night. I also know the food diary can be front-loaded for at least a day or two, so is there any way to play catch up when I have internet access again? Is there anyone else out there like backpackers or adventure travelers who have found a workaround?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The streak actually isn't connected to your diary. It's based on logging into the website or app each day before midnight. You can ask for it to be reset if you'd like.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    There is a link for you to reset it yourself. I'm having difficulties getting my pages to load, so can't post a link, but it is there.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options
    Frazdogg wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    The streak actually isn't connected to your diary. It's based on logging into the website or app each day before midnight. You can ask for it to be reset if you'd like.

It’s not at midnight. It’s a 24 hour period. So if you last log in at 10am, you have until 10am the next day before the counter resets.

That has not been my experience. I have had my streak drop to zero just by traveling a few time zones to the west, and logging in after midnight in my original time zone, even though it was less than 24 hours elapsed time since I had last been on the website.
  • Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Ah, I misunderstood! I thought there was a connection between the streak and the diary. Thank you all for clearing that up for me.

nutmegoreo, I'll look for the link. Thanks!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Ninkasi wrote: »
    I realize this going to sound like a silly problem, but here goes.

Periodically I spend extended amounts of time in places beyond the reach of the internet and so am not able to immediately log my food. In those cases I write down what I eat and plug everything into my food diary after I get back to civilization, but my "streak" always resets to zero. I realize the consecutive login streak is just a number, but I was so proud of hitting three digits a couple weeks ago! And now I'm back to single digits. :/

I assume there's a cutoff time that resets the counter since I can complete my food entry the following morning if I forget at night. I also know the food diary can be front-loaded for at least a day or two, so is there any way to play catch up when I have internet access again? Is there anyone else out there like backpackers or adventure travelers who have found a workaround?

The streak number is for logging into the site or app not logging food or exercise. You could log into the site and do nothing and keep your streak.
    You could add a note to your food diary when you do log about how awesome you are for tracking your intake even while away from the internet. :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options
    krystonite wrote: »
    there is no award for logging in. no trophy,no bragging rights, no... nothing. so your counter resets. whooop teee dooooo

It's a psychological wage and it helps with motivation. Positive reinforcement.

Also, for those not paying for premium, it motivates traffic and increases chances for the ad clicks that generate revenue for the site.
  • Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    You could add a note to your food diary when you do log about how awesome you are for tracking your intake even while away from the internet. :)

I'm a data junkie (do research for a living, so...). :) I find that post-logging my food diary keeps me honest, consistent, and @krystonite is right - it keeps my motivation up. Momentum is a powerful thing!