BCAA’s

Options
I cycle, strength train, and do cardio 6 times a week. A friend told me about BCAA’s but I am not sure which ones to try. Or much about them 😊 I would prefer organic or all natural also. Thanks!

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Are you trying them because someone suggested them, or because there is a problem/issue you're trying to addess.

If the first, don't bother.
    If the second, what's the problem/issue? That will help us give better advice.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    BCAAs have gained in popularity largely in conjunction with Intermittent Fasting and their inclusion in the LeanGains protocols. I supplemented with them for a while (MyProtein), after a bag or two I ran out and didn't have a backup in stock. I went without for a few days and didn't notice a tangible difference so I decided to save the cash and stop bothering with them.

Examine.com doesn't list any study that shows anything more than a "minor" impact and it's not something that's been overwhelmingly studied: https://examine.com/supplements/branched-chain-amino-acids/
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I was in the same b
    steveko89 wrote: »
    BCAAs have gained in popularity largely in conjunction with Intermittent Fasting and their inclusion in the LeanGains protocols. I supplemented with them for a while (MyProtein), after a bag or two I ran out and didn't have a backup in stock. I went without for a few days and didn't notice a tangible difference so I decided to save the cash and stop bothering with them.

Examine.com doesn't list any study that shows anything more than a "minor" impact and it's not something that's been overwhelmingly studied: https://examine.com/supplements/branched-chain-amino-acids/

Same. The more I read the more it's clear it's marketing and you can get what you need from balanced nutrition. I wish I asked this years ago.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    BCAAs are a complete waste of money if you're getting adequate protein intake in your diet.

From what I've read, even if you are protein-lacking, BCAAs still aren't a great option. Whey is a better supplement as it's a more complete protein source. True?
    True. BCAA supplements don't contain the other essential amino acids. Whey protein does.

steveko89 wrote: »

Even the Leangains thing makes faulty assumptions. They say that BCAAs are good to take during the fasting period because they contain no calories, but that is false. BCAAs are around 4.6 calories per gram - the only reason manufacturers can list them as zero calories is because the FDA allows them to get away with it because they're not complete proteins: https://www.myoleanfitness.com/do-bcaas-have-calories/
  • tericaweeks
    tericaweeks Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Are you trying them because someone suggested them, or because there is a problem/issue you're trying to addess.

If the first, don't bother.
    If the second, what's the problem/issue? That will help us give better advice.

• tericaweeks
    tericaweeks Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Someone suggested them, but the reason was for more energy during a workout.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Someone suggested them, but the reason was for more energy during a workout.

Unless your BCAAs have caffeine as well, than if you get energy its placebo.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I'm no chemist but how could an amino acid not be organic and natural? I've certainly never heard a synthetic amino acid.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I mix a small amount of BCAA powder with my water. Yeah, I know the research says it’s probably not helping. But the minimal amount’s not hurting anything. And it tastes so freakin’ good it makes it easier to hit my hydration goals than anything else I’ve tried. I love this stuff! :lol: Happily sipping on Ice Tea Peach right now. Last week was Passion Mango and next week is Pineapple ...
  • TheMagicOneMikeD
    TheMagicOneMikeD Posts: 94 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    No one is claiming it will make you hulk up overnight, but I see source after source after source saying that supplementing with Leucine does lead to increased hypertrophy for a short period after taking it.

I may be mistaken but I don't recall seeing anywhere that it only works if there is a protein deficiency.

So, I guess I already have my answer but no one here believes there is any point in supplementing with BCAA's, specifically 3g + of leucine if you're weight training?

And if you see no upside in it do you see any downside, except for spending a few dollars on it? Like any adverse health effects?
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    No one is claiming it will make you hulk up overnight, but I see source after source after source saying that supplementing with Leucine does lead to increased hypertrophy for a short period after taking it.

I may be mistaken but I don't recall seeing anywhere that it only works if there is a protein deficiency.

So, I guess I already have my answer but no one here believes there is any point in supplementing with BCAA's, specifically 3g + of leucine if you're weight training?

And if you see no upside in it do you see any downside, except for spending a few dollars on it? Like any adverse health effects?

cler06jlm6mf.jpg
  • AnvilHead
    edited August 2018
    Options

From the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition: https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-017-0184-9

Excerpt:
    ...An extensive search of the literature has revealed no studies in human subjects in which the response of muscle protein synthesis to orally-ingested BCAAs alone was quantified, and only two studies in which the effect of intravenously infused BCAAs alone was assessed. Both of these intravenous infusion studies found that BCAAs decreased muscle protein synthesis as well as protein breakdown, meaning a decrease in muscle protein turnover. The catabolic state in which the rate of muscle protein breakdown exceeded the rate of muscle protein synthesis persisted during BCAA infusion. We conclude that the claim that consumption of dietary BCAAs stimulates muscle protein synthesis or produces an anabolic response in human subjects is unwarranted...

...Thus, it might be expected that leucine alone would be more effective than the combination of all of the BCAAs. However, there are two significant limitations of a dietary supplement of leucine alone. First, the same issues that limit the extent of stimulation of muscle protein synthesis by BCAAs alone regarding the availability of the other EAAs necessary for the production of intact muscle protein also limit the response to leucine alone. Second, elevation of the plasma concentration of leucine activates the metabolic pathway that oxidizes all of the BCAAs. As a result, ingestion of leucine alone results in a decrease in the plasma concentrations of both valine and isoleucine. The availability of valine and isoleucine may therefore become rate limiting for muscle protein synthesis when leucine alone is consumed. This may be why long-term outcome studies with dietary leucine supplementation have failed to yield positive results... [25].
  • TheMagicOneMikeD
    Options

cler06jlm6mf.jpg

ok?? thanks I guess...
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Another read on BCAA supplements: http://www.mysportscience.com/single-post/2017/10/02/The-truth-about-BCAA

Excerpt:
    ...In summary, overall, based on the available evidence, the best nutritional recommendation to optimize adaptations to training, including muscle hypertrophy and enhanced oxidative metabolism, would still be to eat sufficient high-quality protein (that naturally includes BCAA, of course) in the context of meals. At present, we do not believe there is sufficient evidence to recommend BCAA supplements for enhancing muscle anabolism or alleviating muscle damage or, for that matter, for any other reason.
  • TheMagicOneMikeD
    Options
    Another read on BCAA supplements: http://www.mysportscience.com/single-post/2017/10/02/The-truth-about-BCAA

Excerpt:
    ...In summary, overall, based on the available evidence, the best nutritional recommendation to optimize adaptations to training, including muscle hypertrophy and enhanced oxidative metabolism, would still be to eat sufficient high-quality protein (that naturally includes BCAA, of course) in the context of meals. At present, we do not believe there is sufficient evidence to recommend BCAA supplements for enhancing muscle anabolism or alleviating muscle damage or, for that matter, for any other reason.

But then you have things like this "Leucine Regulates Translation Initiation of Protein Synthesis in Skeletal Muscle after Exercise" in the Oxford Academic Journal of Nutrition saying something that seems to contradict that.

So, ignoring that and just going off of what you were posting, in the presence of the other EAA's in sufficient quantities do you think Leucine could trigger increased protein synthesis for a short time? Like coffee gives you a boost for an hour or however long it lasts ppl...
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    BCAAs are a complete waste of money if you're getting adequate protein intake in your diet.

Spot on.

The thread should have been locked right here.....

(With the possible exception of saying even if you are lacking adequate protein there are better ways of supplementing it).
  • AnvilHead
    edited August 2018
    Options

Excerpt:

But then you have things like this "Leucine Regulates Translation Initiation of Protein Synthesis in Skeletal Muscle after Exercise" in the Oxford Academic Journal of Nutrition saying something that seems to contradict that.

So, ignoring that and just going off of what you were posting, in the presence of the other EAA's in sufficient quantities do you think Leucine could trigger increased protein synthesis for a short time? Like coffee gives you a boost for an hour or however long it lasts ppl...

With other EAAs in sufficient quantity, yes. For example, if you were to take a complete protein supplement such as whey protein - which has leucine and all the other EAAs in it. That's why it doesn't make any sense to take BCAAs when whey protein would be a much better alternative.
    [ETA:] Don't confuse 'muscle protein synthesis' with 'hypertrophy' - which was what you asked in your original question. They're two different mechanisms.

The makers of BCAA supplements have done a wonderful advertising/marketing job to convince people that their supplements are beneficial. But that's all it is - marketing BS. Just like green coffee bean extract, hoodia, raspberry ketones, apple cider vinegar and all the other diet/nutrition industry scams.