Keto

Replies

• gcooper7
    gcooper7 Posts: 146 Member
    I did Keto for about 5 months last year and lost 45lbs. I started back on 5/31 and have lost 28lbs since then. I love it. I feel great doing Keto/VLCD and plan on continuing not just until all the weight is lost, but indefinitely.

An indefinite VLCD is not a very good idea at all

Why not?
  • gcooper7
    paulag1955 wrote: »
    gcooper7 wrote: »
    Update: I am down 50 lbs since I started back in February. I have not counted any calories besides I a few times. I eat until I am full and if I'm hungry I eat again. I feel more energetic and don't crave anything I used to crave. Definitely going to keep this up.

Awesome results. I'm down 51 pounds, but it's taken me just over a year to do it. Hoping to lose 10 or so more.

Nice. You got it.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I did Keto for about 5 months last year and lost 45lbs. I started back on 5/31 and have lost 28lbs since then. I love it. I feel great doing Keto/VLCD and plan on continuing not just until all the weight is lost, but indefinitely.

Why not?

I'll guess that VLCD per @WholeFoods4Lyfe is very low CARB diet and "indefinite VLCD" stated by @singingflutelady means very low CALORIE diet. Maybe not but thought I'd suggest that may be the case since very low calorie diets (indefinite or otherwise) are not favored unless under medical supervision.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2018

Why not?

Agressive and long term weight loss increases muscle loss, which increases adaptive thermogenesis. Being VLCalorieD makes is very difficult to meet protein requirements.

This in term will decrease metabolic functions; which is why rebounding can be so easy. Plus there are hormonal effects that can be exacerbated, like decreases in Letpin, testosterone, etc..

ETA, i know some think losing 3+ lbs a week is healthy, but its very unlikely it is. Especially since many arent hitting protein goals 1.5-2.2g/kg
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »

Why not?

I'll guess that VLCD per @WholeFoods4Lyfe is very low CARB diet and "indefinite VLCD" stated by @singingflutelady means very low CALORIE diet. Maybe not but thought I'd suggest that may be the case since very low calorie diets (indefinite or otherwise) are not favored unless under medical supervision.

I never thought of vlcarbd that's probably what she meant
  • mattaturtle
    mattaturtle Posts: 17 Member
    Been on Keto for two months today. Total weight lose has been 35 pounds. I drink bulletproof coffee every morning for breakfast and try to keep my carbs at 10 - 20 grams a day but usually end up with 15-25 carb grams a day. Sometimes a little more. Good luck everyone! 😊
  • gcooper7
    Been on Keto for two months today. Total weight lose has been 35 pounds. I drink bulletproof coffee every morning for breakfast and try to keep my carbs at 10 - 20 grams a day but usually end up with 15-25 carb grams a day. Sometimes a little more. Good luck everyone! 😊

That's awesome. Keep up the good work
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    edited August 2018

Nothing wrong with an indefinite low carb diet.

ETA: Apparently I need to edit that for me, VLCD = very low carb diet. I do not eat very low calorie, quite the opposite actually. I didn't realize that the term has multiple meanings. That is my error. I follow a very low carb (<5g) Ketogenic Diet.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member

Nothing wrong with an indefinite low carb diet.

ETA: Apparently I need to edit that for me, VLCD = very low carb diet. I do not eat very low calorie, quite the opposite actually. I didn't realize that the term has multiple meanings. That is my error. I follow a very low carb (<5g) Ketogenic Diet.

Yeah some of the acronyms can get confusing. I kept seeing ED in posts but it took awhile for me to catch that it meant "eating disorder" instead of .....
  • gcooper7
    psuLemon wrote: »

Why not?

Agressive and long term weight loss increases muscle loss, which increases adaptive thermogenesis. Being VLCD makes is very difficult to meet protein requirements.

This in term will decrease metabolic functions; which is why rebounding can be so easy. Plus there are hormonal effects that can be exacerbated, like decreases in Letpin, testosterone, etc..

ETA, i know some think losing 3+ lbs a week is healthy, but its very unlikely it is. Especially since many arent hitting protein goals 1.5-2.2g/kg

Good points but in keto you don't lack in protien, just carbs. I eat about 20 percent protien, 75 in healthy fats and 5 percent carbs. My calories are around 1900 each day. I feel so much better than I ever have and more energetic. I don't work out often besides juijitsu once in a while and for the hell of it tried to bench press what I was doing before I started this diet. I was on a body building routine and my bench press actually went up since being on keto. I was able to lift more weight with my other lifts as well. Why would that be?

Well it's possible you got stronger through jujitsu or you just end up with better form. It's possible when you were on the bodybuilding routine, it was burning you out (since most are crap) or the order wasn't correct (i.e., by the time you did bench, it was later in the routine).

But with the current body of evidence, performance will suffer on keto; some suffer less than others, but carbs provide more energy (ATP); fats also take longer to metabolize (except is MCT oils). And while you can maintain muscle with keto, if at appropriate levels, it's far easy to do that with carb + protein based diets or even gain on carb + protein. Although, based on Vokey and Phinney's work, most of the muscle maintenance is done with moderate deficits and higher levels of protein (~25%). There aren't really any studies for keto + leaner people. I know the studies on leaner people (who aren't keto) generally show higher levels of protein is need.. often 2.2-2.8g/kg (so 1g/lb or more). Most keto'ers freak out over this because of glucenogenesis, which is kind of funny because no one ever talks about how fat is converted into glucose.

Considering I'm still learning about keto it doesn't freak me out. I'll take any k ow ledge or advice. Thank you
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2018

Why not?

Agressive and long term weight loss increases muscle loss, which increases adaptive thermogenesis. Being VLCD makes is very difficult to meet protein requirements.

Good points but in keto you don't lack in protien, just carbs. I eat about 20 percent protien, 75 in healthy fats and 5 percent carbs. My calories are around 1900 each day. I feel so much better than I ever have and more energetic. I don't work out often besides juijitsu once in a while and for the hell of it tried to bench press what I was doing before I started this diet. I was on a body building routine and my bench press actually went up since being on keto. I was able to lift more weight with my other lifts as well. Why would that be?

Well it's possible you got stronger through jujitsu or you just end up with better form. It's possible when you were on the bodybuilding routine, it was burning you out (since most are crap) or the order wasn't correct (i.e., by the time you did bench, it was later in the routine).

But with the current body of evidence, performance will suffer on keto; some suffer less than others, but carbs provide more energy (ATP); fats also take longer to metabolize (except is MCT oils). And while you can maintain muscle with keto, if at appropriate levels, it's far easy to do that with carb + protein based diets or even gain on carb + protein. Although, based on Vokey and Phinney's work, most of the muscle maintenance is done with moderate deficits and higher levels of protein (~25%). There aren't really any studies for keto + leaner people. I know the studies on leaner people (who aren't keto) generally show higher levels of protein is need.. often 2.2-2.8g/kg (so 1g/lb or more). Most keto'ers freak out over this because of glucenogenesis, which is kind of funny because no one ever talks about how fat is converted into glucose.

Considering I'm still learning about keto it doesn't freak me out. I'll take any k ow ledge or advice. Thank you

Oh that is definitely a good thing. Too often when people bring up points against a particular diet, other people assume that aren't for it. And i am sure my name has been used in an unfriendly manner in the keto group here.

Unfortunately there isn't a ton of evidence in the field of keto and body building. So I am speaking from the evidence i have seen and anecdotal evidence from the people i have trained, to include several who have done keto.

And IMO, keto is definitely one of many ways to see fat loss, but less than superior to build muscle or even sport in general. Now that doesn't mean it cant have its place or people can't perform while being on a keto diet, but their results many be suboptimal as compared to one who incorporates carb refeeds or follows a higher carb based diet.

Personally, i follow UD2 which cycles keto days (4days) with low calorie + very high carb near or above maintenance. So I try to hit net 50g or below on keto days at 1500-1700 and 400-500+ on refeed days with low fat (~50g). The idea ia to increase blood flow to stubborn areas, increase fatty acid mobilization, and deplete glycogen. So when you refeed, your body prioritizes glycogen replenishment and restoration of Letpin over fat storage; this is why you keep fats low because fats have a greater probably of storage in adipose.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2018
    Dear Posters,

I tried to edit some of the confusion surrounding VLCD in the interest of keeping this thread on track.

VLcarbD are fine.
    VLCalorieD can be dangerous and promoting them is against MFP guidelines. I realize that was not the intention here though.

Thanks for staying on track and supportive in this thread.

4legs,
    MFP moderator
  • ScottW3142
    ScottW3142 Posts: 498 Member
    edited August 2018
    julbens wrote: »
    kyliejo83 wrote: »
    I'm trying to track my macros. Is there a setting to show net carbs? At the moment I'm seeing total carbs. So it's throwing my limits out.

I cannot figure this out either!

If you're comfortable doing it, this link will explain what you need to do to add net carbs to myfitnesspal in Chrome, Safari or Firefox. https://www.perfectketo.com/myfitnesspal-net-carbs/on9j0swts7dx.png
  • jsb0726
    jsb0726 Posts: 27 Member
    7 weeks in and down 26 lbs. feeling better than ever.
  • gcooper7
    jsb0726 wrote: »
    7 weeks in and down 26 lbs. feeling better than ever.

That's awesome. Wait till you are 7 months in. You won't want to look back
  • gcooper7
    So I'm in a Facebook group that says high fat is not right and that I should eat more protien and lower my fat if I want to lose weight. For months everything I've read states higher fat and moderate protien. Any thoughts suggestions or confirmations?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    So I'm in a Facebook group that says high fat is not right and that I should eat more protien and lower my fat if I want to lose weight. For months everything I've read states higher fat and moderate protien. Any thoughts suggestions or confirmations?

High fat is not necessary for Keto. The only thing that is necessary for keto is low carb.
    Here is a suggestion for your macros:
    Carbs < 20g -> this is a limit, do not exceed
    Protein -> this is a suggestion, I recommend that you exceed your protein goals every day
    Fat -> use fat to fill in for satiety, it is not needed (nor would I recommend) to reach your fat goals. The reason being the body will use the fat that you eat first for energy and then any extra body fat that you have.
  • gcooper7
    ccrdragon wrote: »

High fat is not necessary for Keto. The only thing that is necessary for keto is low carb.
    Here is a suggestion for your macros:
    Carbs < 20g -> this is a limit, do not exceed
    Protein -> this is a suggestion, I recommend that you exceed your protein goals every day
    Fat -> use fat to fill in for satiety, it is not needed (nor would I recommend) to reach your fat goals. The reason being the body will use the fat that you eat first for energy and then any extra body fat that you have.

That's what they say in this group as well. I just started giving it a shot yesterday, issue is it seems everything has fat in it meat wise.