Can muscles "deflate"?

Options
I workout 5 days a week doing a combination of weights and cardio. I went on a trip recently and did not work out for 5 days. When I got to where I was going, a person commented on how "buff" I was in my arms. When I got home from my trip, it appeared that my arm muscles seemed to deflate and I had some loose skin. I did fly on a plane. Can this happen???

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Yes. That definitely happens.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Creatine will also cause your muscles to retain water, which is what its used for in the first place. This will make their appearance larger. If you're using a pre-workout that contains creatine, or taking it separately, that may be the cause. Otherwise as you work out and stress your muscles they will naturally retain water as part of the repair process.
  • nickhinds88
    nickhinds88 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yup definitely can occur. Take some pre workout with creatine and have a solid lifting session, your muscles will hold onto to sodium and water for a day or so.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Yepp.. happens to me if I take a break from the gym and cut carbs too low. The muscles let go of their water. It's like.. where did I go?? :D
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Yup definitely can occur. Take some pre workout with creatine and have a solid lifting session, your muscles will hold onto to sodium and water for a day or so.
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Yepp.. happens to me if I take a break from the gym and cut carbs too low. The muscles let go of their water. It's like.. where did I go?? :D

Yea, I was like, "What the heck happened"? But it also took several days to get the pump back again...ugh!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    When I go low carb for a day or two, inborn through my muscle glycogen stores and they look smaller.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

That's me right now. Lack of sleep, food, and lifting after getting back from a work trip. It's like 2 different people. Though I had someone say I must be on roids at the club lastnight so thats something :lol::lol::lol:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Yes, the muscles can definitely get a 'flat' appearance from dehydration/lack of glycogen. It's temporary, get back to your normal schedule and they'll pump back up.