Women who lift weights!

Options
Hey Im new on the weight lifting☺I was planning on train my legs monday, Wednesday n Friday. So I yesterday I worked my legs doing squats with 95 lbs and 100 lbs legs press machine I did probably like 6 sets of 12 reps. The thing is that today my thighs muscles are sore and swollen, I am thinking that I may be I should not train my legs tomorrow. Is it ok to train my legs even if they still sore and swollen??

Replies

• jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Strength training shiuld have a day between workouts. You could do upper body exercises tomorrow, take a day off, then legs again day after that.
    As a rule, new to weight lifting means 3 days per week, or max 4 days per week
    (lower body, upper body, rest, lower, upper, rest, rest).
  • FariasMomOf3
    FariasMomOf3 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    6 sets of 12 of any lift is uneccessary as a new lifter. I suggest you look into better programming that has you receiving appropriate volume for your level.

As far as lifting tomorrow, doing some sets of squats at a weight you can hold form will not only continue useful stimulas to your muscles but aid in some recovery.

Thank you for your advice ☺ I appreciated it. Yes I need help with getting a workout program, I started doing sets and until I was tired. Like I said Im new to the weight lifting to I thought I should just do my max😏
  • FariasMomOf3
    Options
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    I do full body 2-3 times a week with one rest day in between minimum. I tried doing splits (back one day, legs another, butt another etc) but I found it a) boring and b) didn't fit with my lifestyle.

6 sets is a tad excessive. I aim for 3-4 sets with 8 - 12 reps in each, usually once I can do 12 easily I go up in weight and usually drop down to 8 reps.

There are a heap of program suggestions here to get you started.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Thanks a lot 😊 for taking the time give me spme advice . Yes I need a workout program 😉
  • FariasMomOf3
    Options
    jeffjeff85 wrote: »
    Shoot... Was you askin' just the girls? :D

Hahaha😊 thanks a lot for your advice. It wasn't just for girls😅 I just needed some help with what should I do with the weight lifting, since Im new to it. Gracias😉
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    So everything I have read lately has been pushing that you get more gains by doing a full-body workout 3x a week. So full-body Monday, rest Tuesday (or LISS or a recovery workout), full-body Wednesday, rest or recover Thursday, full-body Friday, active rest Saturday & Sunday.

I found this sample plan too:

Day1:
    Chest: Flat bench barbell press – 4 sets of 10 – 12 reps
    Back: Barbell bent over rows – 4 sets of 8 – 10 reps
    Shoulders: Standing barbell military press – 4 sets of 10 – 12 reps
    Legs: Barbell squats – 4 sets of 8 reps
    Biceps: EZ bar curls – 4 sets of 15 reps
    Triceps: Rope pushdowns – 4 sets of 15 – 20 reps
    Core: Hanging leg raises – 3 sets of 30 reps

Day2:
    Back: Wide grip pull ups, or Close grip lat pull downs – 4 sets of 10 – 12 reps
    Biceps: Alternate dumbbell curls – 4 sets of 10 reps per arm
    Chest: Incline dumbbell press – 4 sets of 10 – 12 reps
    Triceps: Overhead triceps extensions – 4 sets of 20 reps
    Shoulders: Seated dumbbell Arnold presses – 4 sets of 12 reps
    Legs: Leg press machine – 4 sets of 12 – 15 reps
    Core: Stomach crunches – sets of 30 reps

Day3:
    Core: Bicycle crunches – 3 sets of 30 reps
    Triceps: Skull-crushers – 4 sets of 15 reps
    Biceps: Preacher curls – 4 sets of 12 reps
    Back: Dumbbell bent over rows – 4 sets of 10 reps per arm
    Shoulders: Lateral raises – 4 sets of 20 reps
    Legs: Standing calf raises – 4 sets of 20 – 30 reps
    Chest: Incline dumbbell flyes – 4 sets of 12 – 15 reps
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    But if you would rather do the 5 day a week strength training workouts, Lauren Gleisberg has some really good workout/training plans on her website https://www.laurengleisberg.com/
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Is that 6 sets of 12 total across both exercises, or 6 each?

6 each is a bit excessive For that rep range, 3-4 would be sufficient, especially as a beginner getting used to things. If it's 6 total then it sounds fine.

As far as the soreness and training goes, it's very common to experience this when you first start lifting or if you change anything up in your routine, particularly volume. Whether you lift while sore is up to you but I would suggest that if you're too sore to lift something properly/safely then you're better off having a rest. If it's just a little soreness (and you're not injured) and you can lift through it then do as you see fit.

• JorrunFulhelm
    JorrunFulhelm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I train lower body fairly often (4x per week) which means some back to back days and I will often train through some soreness. As long as you aren't injured or your pain impacts your safety you should be fine. Also make sure you are following adequate programming, as mentioned, so you don't have issues with recovery and progress.

I totally agree with this! I work legs 3 or 4 days a week right now, with one day of those being the real heavy weight. I am usually sore a bit, but I work through it none the less. As long as you are safe and able to do the movements then you should be fine. Also, I agree that you should look into a lifting program that is scheduled for you.

Dont worry, you can always scale things back if you need to!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I recommend Stronglifts, which is a full body program 3x week. Many peeps on here can vouch for it.

But this link @TrishSeren posted is a good read....
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

If you do Stronglifts, there's a good group here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is a well-recommended program for beginners. It wasn't for me though.

I use the New Rules of Lifting Supercharged. I've used their original NROL (original, not for women) in the past (before pregnancies and babies!), and purchased both NROL Supercharged (for DH) and their new women's book Strong in the spring. When DH and I started working out together, he wanted me to join on the supercharged program and not join me on the "women's" program. They are basically the same, different cardio programming but otherwise the same. I'd recommend Strong if you are a woman and a beginner, Supercharged has you pick a lot of the exercises if you aren't at least a little familiar with the moves it's a bit much.

There are other great programs out there though.

I get sore when I make a big change to the routine, when I take time off (like when we tried stronglifts for a month), etc. But the soreness will lessen the more you work out. No, it is not bad to work out sore, but you may want to wait until the worst passes as it may limit your range of motion. I barely get sore right now, and it doesn't stop me from lifting again on schedule (3x a week).
  • FariasMomOf3
    Options
    thanks to all of you😊 for all the advice and information. I sure got an answer to my ?, I will work on finding a lifting program that works for me😉 thanks for the links