Running for a beginner

Options
eatyourveggie
eatyourveggie Posts: 3 Member
edited August 2018 in Getting Started
Hi all, my name is Luna, I live in Seattle WA. I have never ran for fitness ever, but I would like to try and start... anyone in Seattle have groups they recommend or would like to start one? Any recommendations from experienced or starters welcome too, not just those living in Seattle 🙂

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend the C25K app, it's free and a great starting point. I hadn't ran in over 15 years, can now happily jog a couple of miles, if I didn't keep having to ditch the program to concentrate on my rowing training then I would probably be comfortable doing 5-10k by now.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend the C25K app, it's free and a great starting point. I hadn't ran in over 15 years, can now happily jog a couple of miles, if I didn't keep having to ditch the program to concentrate on my rowing training then I would probably be comfortable doing 5-10k by now.

This!!!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    agree. start a walk-run program building your body to doing the 5k.

i've completed a program to complete 10k (I was already doing 5k's 5x a week) and it included a long run that was a walk+run to increase distance/cardio.

Stretch, get good shoes. good shoes is crucial.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you can comfortably walk for 30 minutes, start C25K. If you can’t, then build up your walking endurance first.

Go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. Don’t just run in whatever sneakers you have. You need professional advice to choose the right running shoes.

Pick up a pair of moisture wicking socks while you’re at the running store. They’re not crucial for beginners, but they’ll help prevent blisters.

If you’re a busty person, invest in a supportive sports bra.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    If you can comfortably walk for 30 minutes, start C25K. If you can’t, then build up your walking endurance first.

Go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. Don’t just run in whatever sneakers you have. You need professional advice to choose the right running shoes.

Pick up a pair of moisture wicking socks while you’re at the running store. They’re not crucial for beginners, but they’ll help prevent blisters.

If you’re a busty person, invest in a supportive sports bra.

I'd agree with all of the above, except as a guy I have no comment on the last item.
    Don't start C25K if you can't walk for 30 mins.
    Stick more or less to the C25K program. But be ready to repeat days if you need to without feeling bad.
    Shoes are critical to preventing injury and/or pain. I've had shin splints from shoes that didn't work for me. Socks are a good idea as well.

I started C25K Jan 2017. I'm running 1/2 marathons these days (slow but I'm doing them).
  • eatyourveggie
    eatyourveggie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone these are great advice. I walk 30 mins to an hour a day so that’s not an issue. I just haven’t been motivated enough to actually try. I just downloaded the app.
  • Lawman7788
    Lawman7788 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to use that App when I can run again...
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Another vote for this !!
    I love that I don't have to watch my watch or keep checking time, I just start it and head out. It tells you when to walk and run and you can still play music at the same time.