Hello

Options
I am new and plan to follow exactly how mfp has it set out for me to lose the 60 lbs I need. I plan to do high protein lower fat. I would love any guidance.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What does high protein mean to you? I mean, how many grams are you planning on eating a day? Protein is important and will help you maintain muscle as well as potentially help you feel full but more than 0.8g per lb of goal weight is probably unnecessary.

Why low fat? Fat does not make you fat and is important for good health. Unless you have a good reason to limit it (medical issues), go for 0.35-0.45g per lb.

That said, it's calories that matter for weight loss. Focus on meeting your calorie goal, then adding at least some of the cals you "earn" through exercise.
  • William54321
    William54321 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    As above its all about calorie balance. Keep to your limit and dont use extra cals gained from exercise or steps. Good luck with your journey
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    As above its all about calorie balance. Keep to your limit and dont use extra cals gained from exercise or steps. Good luck with your journey

Why not? The mfp calorie goal is set without exercise included - you are given a calorie goal to lose weight even without doing any purposeful exercise. Fuelling your body a bit extra when you do exercise is a great idea...
  • Cascadae
    Cascadae Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My coach been telling me 0.8-1.2 grams per bodyweight in pounds is totally ideal, because i have seen many people in YouTube saying eat double or triple ur bodyweight that will be over 200g per day and it looks so much
    Healthy fats like those in nuts and avocado are so perfect rather that getting just saturated ones from cheese and meat

Cheers! ;)
  • krystencox2
    krystencox2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What does high protein mean to you? I mean, how many grams are you planning on eating a day? Protein is important and will help you maintain muscle as well as potentially help you feel full but more than 0.8g per lb of goal weight is probably unnecessary.

Why low fat? Fat does not make you fat and is important for good health. Unless you have a good reason to limit it (medical issues), go for 0.35-0.45g per lb.

That said, it's calories that matter for weight loss. Focus on meeting your calorie goal, then adding at least some of the cals you "earn" through exercise.

I have had success before on a crash diet of 800 to 1000 calories. I am now on a little over 1300 this time around. I gained 60 lbs over 5 years after that crash diet and am trying to learn to eat clean again. I need to learn to eat all foods and am way better now. Do you suggest just sticking within the calories and dont worry about macros? I am shooting for 60g protein daily.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    The only macro I really care about is carbs....and that is because I am diabetic. If you have no medical issues that warrant major macro monitoring, just eat a balanced diet and count your calories. I lost 50 pounds here that way. JMHO. :)
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I've lost close to 36kg (~80lb) and haven't once bothered to track my macros as I don't have a medical/health condition or performance goal that warrants monitoring them on a regular basis. The closest I come is that I'll try to load up on carbs if I'm planning a long cycling session (2+ hrs)

I just stick to my calorie goals and let them work themselves out, and the few times I've bothered to even peek at them they've always just naturally been kinda balanced anyway.
  • krystencox2
    Options
    The only macro I really care about is carbs....and that is because I am diabetic. If you have no medical issues that warrant major macro monitoring, just eat a balanced diet and count your calories. I lost 50 pounds here that way. JMHO. :)

Did you go off of the calories they provided? They have me set around 1300.
  • krystencox2
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    I've lost close to 36kg (~80lb) and haven't once bothered to track my macros as I don't have a medical/health condition or performance goal that warrants monitoring them on a regular basis. The closest I come is that I'll try to load up on carbs if I'm planning a long cycling session (2+ hrs)

I just stick to my calorie goals and let them work themselves out, and the few times I've bothered to even peek at them they've always just naturally been kinda balanced anyway.

Fantastic. I am looking forward to exercising again once my back is healed all the way. I did a number and did a little hairline in c spine and lower l5, or bulge.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Did you go off of the calories they provided? They have me set around 1300.

Yes....I was set to 1200 but took off 100 so I am set at 1100. I am not advocating doing that...most people believe it's not good for you and you will get told you're not eating enough. But I did the same thing years ago when I started here and then upped it back to 1200 later on when I started intense workouts. I hadn't felt better in years and I have no regrets. YMMV
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Start with the basics and that's meeting your calorie goal each day, then once you have the hang of it look at your macros. You may find you meet macro targets pretty easily just by ensuring you have a balanced diet.

I've never worried too much about macros, I try to eat 80g of protein a day which I do easily just eating what I enjoy. I don't glance much at my carbs or fat, I just ensure my calories are under the limit.

Also I am a fan of this diagram :smile:
    1rqyext99inr.png