Tips for intuitive eating?

Options
This may seem counterintuitive especially considering MFP's premise is calorie-tracking... but I myself have attempted tracking, and found it stressful personally. When the calorie count doesn't reach the preset goal, I feel more inclined to eat more until it does; when it exceeds, I fall into a guilt spiral and berate myself for not making better food choices. But then again I still need to improve my relationship with food.

I just don't want to become too food-focused...

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    If logging stresses you out, the human scale might be a better friend. I haven't logged any food in a long time, and I won't unless I set a really strict goal for gains or losses... then maybe. If using the human scale doesn't freak you out, just use it on a regular basis, or daily if you want. Understand that weight fluctuations happen regardless of diet, and are often larger for women. There are a number of weight trend apps that can be used to show you the overall trend and help understand the short term fluctuations.

If weighing yourself stresses you out, you could even go by the fit of clothes you own.

Logging food is great for those that want that more in depth control. If you don't want or need that there are plenty of other ways to control weight. I rarely get on a human scale these days, but when I do I usually know my weight within 3-4 pounds. I actually struggle more with sometimes eating enough for proper recovery if I'm in weight loss mode, and would tend to pay more attention for that. But YMMV. If you struggle with any certain aspect, just gear yourself to finding tools that help in that area.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I am much like @robertw486 above. I haven't counted calories in a long time.

I am in maintenance though, spending time weighing food and knowing the calorie content while I was losing, allowed me to eyeball my portion sizes. I do a quick weigh of food or log every few months to keep off calorie creep.

I don't weigh myself very often either, just go by the mirror and clothes fit.

If you are wanting to lose weight without logging. Get to know your appropriate portion sizes of you most frequent foods.
    This will take weighing and finding out the calories to begin with, but after a while you will be able to go by the body scale, or if you are adverse to that, clothes fit and mirror.

It can make it a bit more difficult to lose at a set rate, but the mental ease could be a worthwhile payoff.

Cheers, h.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Your profile and post indicate you don't care about calories or weight. I have to wonder, why are you using MFP at all.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    jjjhearts wrote: »
    hroderick wrote: »
    Your profile and post indicate you don't care about calories or weight. I have to wonder, why are you using MFP at all.

I found the community discussions about fitness and nutrition really interesting, and since I had questions of my own I thought it'd be worthwhile to put them out here.

I guess I am using MFP for the community; actually got to learn some new things so I'm glad I reactivated my account.

Glad you are enjoying, and learning, from the forums. Use it how you like. We all get something different out of being here.

Cheers, h.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think intuitive eating is a good goal, as long as it doesn't turn into just another thing to stress you out. What if you let youself be enough, and positively, food-focused?

If you find tracking stressful, it might be the wrong approach for you, or you might be approaching it wrong. MFP's premise is indeed calorie tracking, but the ultimate goal is food awareness - to eat enough, but not too much, and reduce stress. Have you prelogged, or are you just logging as you go? If you plan your day out in advance, you have better control. A feeling of better control over your food choices, is a major part of improving your relationship with food.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Intuitive eating working for me when I lived at yoga centers surrounded by low calorie/high volume/non-hyper palatable food.

But if I have a pint of Ben & Jerry's in the freezer, I want to eat the whole thing.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I am also trying to figure out how to manage my weight without counting calories. I find counting calories to be very tedious and not sustainable for the long-term. I will say I am not trying to lose weight anymore.

I have switched to jotting down what i eat in a pen and paper food diary. No calorie counts or weights or anything. Just a log of the items that I'm eating, that way if I find I'm gaining weight, I can review and maybe just cut out something that I know to be high calorie, or cut out my morning snack, or something like that. I always stick to the recommended serving sizes on things. I will still pull my food scale out to weigh my portion of cashews and maybe some chex mix or something like that that where it's easy to go over. I focus on choosing more nutrient filled, lower calorie foods (vegetables) and then eating less of whatever else we're eating (such as pasta or another starchy, carby food like rice, potatoes etc) I think I may just tell myself I can eat unlimited amounts of fruits and vegetables but then portion out my other foods appropriately. I also plan on remaining active forever. I wear a fitbit and monitor how many calories I am (supposedly) burning and that's very motivating for me to move more, plus I work out/exercise most days of the week, or do some type of active activity with my family on the weekends (like hiking)

These are just my ideas, I have yet to determine whether I'm successful at this because I just started.
  • hesn92
    Options
    hroderick wrote: »

I plan to continue coming here even though I don't want to count calories. I like the forums, and I like having a designated spot to put my weight updates and progress pictures to look back on.
  • belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    jjjhearts wrote: »
    This may seem counterintuitive especially considering MFP's premise is calorie-tracking... but I myself have attempted tracking, and found it stressful personally. When the calorie count doesn't reach the preset goal, I feel more inclined to eat more until it does; when it exceeds, I fall into a guilt spiral and berate myself for not making better food choices. But then again I still need to improve my relationship with food.

I just don't want to become too food-focused...

MFP can be your best friend or worst nightmare depending on your relationship with food and how you interpret the tools provided. The struggle is real and coming up with lasting solutions to the underlying issues will be key.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Many of our bodies do not “intuitively” lead us to eat just the amount of food we need and no more. If your body does that, then you are probably already at a healthy weight. Personally, the only person I know whose body does that is my cat. She always has food available and yet she has been an ideal weight for years. Most humans (and many cats) aren’t like that.

You don’t have to hit your exact calorie goal every single day, but you should be meeting your calorie goal on average over the week. If you’re undereating or overeating, the fact that you didn’t log your food does not change the fact that you underate or overate. Logging is just a tool to help you understand your eating habits.

Feeling guilt about food is a separate issue, and I don’t think it’s going to be helped by just not knowing how much you ate. There’s no moral right or wrong aspect to eating a particular amount, and not all goals are weight related. Having a piece of cake, for example, is not a “bad” food choice. It either fit into your calorie goals or it didn’t. It might have made you happy or helped you celebrate a friend’s birthday.

Even if you don’t want to weigh and measure your food long term, I think it’s good to do it for a while. That will give you a sense of what a certain amount of a particular food looks like. Many people are surprised to find out how much more they’ve been eating than they realize.
  • jjjhearts
    jjjhearts Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    I've been working on intuitive eating, and I've managed to keep a stable weight for almost a year now (I've never had a stable weight before). Some of the tools I use are:
    • checking in with how I feel about my eating -- what are my emotions, what are my physical feelings, what are my reasons for eating now, how did/do I select what to eat (i.e., did I choose this food because it is enjoyable and nutritious, or did I choose it because I was desperate to stuff food in my mouth and this is what was handy)
    • stopping before I'm stuffed, sitting with the uncomfortable feeling of wanting more, reminding myself that I can have more in a little while if I truly need more or can't live with the wanting, allowing myself to have more if I find I truly do need it
    • firmly setting aside feelings of guilt or shame when they arise around food; seeing the feeling, acknowledging it, and using the knowledge I've gained here and elsewhere to talk myself down from it (the same way I would talk a poster who was fearful of "bad" foods down)
    • making sure to plan: choosing varied, nutritious recipes; shopping regularly for nutritious and enjoyable foods; planning my meals for the day and carving out time to eat regularly even if I feel "too busy"
    • paying attention to my natural cycles; if I am starving one day and eat more than usual, it is likely I will soon have another day where my appetite is low and I am inclined to eat less; reminding myself that bodies are never in perfect homeostasis and that's okay
    • reminding myself that food is a human right, what and how much I eat are not indicators of my personal value, and that what I weigh is not an issue of morality
    • finally, oddly, being a bit of a food voyeur: seeking out blogs, Instagrams, MFP threads, etc. where people share what and how much they eat, which helps me get a handle on what "normal" eating looks like across a variety of body types, cultures, etc. I've never known, really, what regular eating without guilt, shame, disorders, or desperation looks like, so this has been extraordinarily helpful

I have issues with starvation, bingeing, and bulimic behaviors (all at clinical levels, some of which have been life-threatening in the past). If these aren't your issues, my tools might not work for you, but I hope at least some of them are of value.

Thank you so much for the suggestions!
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories either, but I am cognizant of the calories in food and understand that a deficit is what is needed in order to lose weight. I don't count calories due to past unhealthy behaviours of severely restricting and exercising 2.5 hours a day to lose weight. Of course all the weight came back each time so this time I have tried a moderate approach.

I have been losing just under a pound a week without counting calories and this is how I have been doing it:

I workout 6 days a week for an hour doing Les Mills classes. BodyCombat, BodyStep and Strong Zumba. I absolutely love it and no more punishing super long workouts like I used to do. Going to the gym is no longer something that I dread because I am doing something that is fun and not too long. I will workout like this as long as my body allows.

I should qualify that I do count breakfast calories and try to keep it at 250-300 calories. I do not do any measuring though.

Lunch and dinner will be a mixture of protein, carbs and veggies. I don't count these calories but I fill my plate. No food is off-limits, but I do try to make better choices like beans and quinoa.

At 9 pm everynight I have a piece of fruit and a protein bar.

I made a rule that I only eat during these 4 times per day. No more eating all day long. I realize that when you eat has no outcome on how much weight you lose: I only use this as a tool to reduce the amount of food that I eat because left to my own devices I would be eating all the time.

I guess what I'm doing isn't really intuitive eating becasue my hunger fullness cues are still broken, but I do watch portions and try to eat reasonably without counting calories. The idea was to make this as easy as possible so if my mother makes something that some might think is unhealthy or fattening, I still eat it but I make sure the portions are not insane like I used to do. I stAll eat fries and burgers, but now I have just one burger and a small amount of fries. And on days where I've broken some of my rules I no longer scrap the entire day as a write-off: I will still go to the gym and continue on with my approach at the next meal instead of waiting for a new day or a Monday to start fresh.

I think what I've learned here for the first time in my life is moderation. It truly has been the answer for me and I will continue on this path as long as it keeps working.

I too like the message boards even though I don't count calories. Welcome and best of luck!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    @avskk Thank you for your inspiring post. Those are words I need to hear right now. <3
  • hesn92
    Options
    DebTavares wrote: »
    I don't count calories either, but I am cognizant of the calories in food and understand that a deficit is what is needed in order to lose weight. I don't count calories due to past unhealthy behaviours of severely restricting and exercising 2.5 hours a day to lose weight. Of course all the weight came back each time so this time I have tried a moderate approach.

I have been losing just under a pound a week without counting calories and this is how I have been doing it:

I workout 6 days a week for an hour doing Les Mills classes. BodyCombat, BodyStep and Strong Zumba. I absolutely love it and no more punishing super long workouts like I used to do. Going to the gym is no longer something that I dread because I am doing something that is fun and not too long. I will workout like this as long as my body allows.

I should qualify that I do count breakfast calories and try to keep it at 250-300 calories. I do not do any measuring though.

Lunch and dinner will be a mixture of protein, carbs and veggies. I don't count these calories but I fill my plate. No food is off-limits, but I do try to make better choices like beans and quinoa.

I made a rule that I only eat during these 4 times per day. No more eating all day long. I realize that when you eat has no outcome on how much weight you lose: I only use this as a tool to reduce the amount of food that I eat because left to my own devices I would be eating all the time.

I guess what I'm doing isn't really intuitive eating becasue my hunger fullness cues are still broken, but I do watch portions and try to eat reasonably without counting calories. The idea was to make this as easy as possible so if my mother makes something that some might think is unhealthy or fattening, I still eat it but I make sure the portions are not insane like I used to do. I stAll eat fries and burgers, but now I have just one burger and a small amount of fries. And on days where I've broken some of my rules I no longer scrap the entire day as a write-off: I will still go to the gym and continue on with my approach at the next meal instead of waiting for a new day or a Monday to start fresh.

I think what I've learned here for the first time in my life is moderation. It truly has been the answer for me and I will continue on this path as long as it keeps working.

I too like the message boards even though I don't count calories. Welcome and best of luck!

Thank you for posting, this was really helpful
  • jjjhearts
    jjjhearts Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    DebTavares wrote: »

I sometimes dread going to the gym nowadays too... but this was really helpful. Thanks for the input. I struggle with portion control because unless you track, how do you know what is too little or too much? I always assume it's better to underestimate than overestimate.

I'm not trying to lose weight; satisfied with maintaining for now. I just want to eat more, and enjoy whatever's on my plate.