Sync steps and/or gps recorded activities?

Options
EM689740
EM689740 Posts: 3 Member
Hi all,

I've recently downloaded MFP and so far it's been pretty good. However before MFP I had started using Pacer to record how many steps I took per day etc. For those that don't know Pacer, it's an app where you can record steps, gps recorded runs/walks etc and set weight loss goals and so on.

My question is: shall I sync just steps or steps and gps recorded runs over to MFP. I'm guessing if I do both it will record a run twice as the run will be recorded within the step count?

Thanks!

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I use Pacer and just sync the steps over but have never used it for my walks anyway.
  • Floatingpencil
    Floatingpencil Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm just keeping the adjustments synced from my Apple Watch. The last time I was on MFP, I entered my walks but I felt it gave me way too many calories for the exercise I was doing. The Apple Watch seems like more reasonable figures.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Steps do lead to calculated distance.
    And distance and time is pace.
    And pace and weight are good formula for calorie burn.

But does Pacer do that for the day as a whole, while it also counts a base calorie burn called BMR when there are no steps?

But steps is merely a figure that is synced over on some apps - there is no calories that goes with it.
    If it syncs a workout, specific chunk of time and calorie burn - there would be on that workout in exercise diary a start and duration time.

If you sync - do you see in exercise diary on MFP an entry for Pacer Adjustment?
    If Pacer says you have burned a decent amount for the day as a whole, then there should be an adjustment.

If not - there is no daily calorie burn coming over to cause the concern you mention.

If it's doing both a workout and daily calorie burn - there is no overlap probably, though it could be sending the data wrong to MFP.
    Like if it tracks, shows, and sends daily burn less the workout, and the workout with calories separate - MFP will do the math wrong. It assumes, correctly, that a daily calorie burn would contain a workout in it if done that day.