New to Maintenance - Psychological help please!

Options
Hi Everyone! I need a bit of advice and encouragement. First, a bit of background...
In November of last year I began my weight loss journey through a local gym that provides personal physical and dietary coaching in six week sessions. Having completed four of those sessions successfully on June 9th, I have continued my weight loss for a total of just over 100 pounds shed. I reached my weight goal and I am now in maintenance mode.
In 10 days, I will be going on a cruise. I know what to expect as far as food and being surrounded by temptation to try new and different cultural cuisines. It's not the sweets that tempt me but I know that I won't want to feel "deprived" of the full cultural experiences that include the food. In short, I know I'm going to overeat and I expect to put on a couple of pounds. That's not the part that bothers me (too much).
What I'm afraid of is not enjoying it. I'm afraid of stressing about diet choices and fears of "blowing it" so much that I feel guilty for even thinking about having something less than optimally healthy.
For those of you that have successfully maintained your weight loss... please give me your thoughts? How do I get past being afraid of "messing up" and just enjoy eating food without stressing about it? How do you keep yourself in check and still relax and enjoy variety in your diet? I'm keenly aware that the vast majority of people will gain their weight back an I'm terrified of that happening to me. I realize I still have a long way to go in the process of learning new dietary habits. I know it may sound weird but that's where I am and I appreciate some perspective. Thanks!

Replies

• Thebajan
    Thebajan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    What I've found the last few years in maintenance is that I need to keep track of what I eat, even if I'm not monitoring calorie intake - and I need to weigh myself periodically. If I don't, the weight can slowly creep up over time if I let myself return to my old eating habits. What I've done is made an oath to myself that if I find my clothes becoming tight, I will *not* buy looser clothes - instead, I'll weigh myself and get back on calorie tracking again.

I've decided it's easiest if I commit to weighing myself once a week and taking immediate action if my weight is going up. I find a data smoothing app helps with this because it shows the long term trend by smoothing out the day to day ups and downs.

You might find these Beck Diet Solution sites (and her book) helpful - they deal with the psychological aspect of weight loss and maintenance:

http://diet.beckinstitute.org/the-cycle-of-maintenance/
    https://beckdietsolution.wordpress.com/2007/02/13/reaching-maintenance-carolyn/

Thank you for the tips and also the book recommendations. I'll check them out. I really am trying to keep a journal of what I'm eating both here with MFP and also in a hand written diary (I'm old-school). I've been weighing myself daily and haven't found the courage to go to just weekly weigh-ins but I am planning to do that starting next weekend just before I leave. I'll kinda be forced to until I get back and then I'm going to weigh in and get back in the game. One quick question... What is a data smoothing app? I'm afraid I really am a bit old school and I'm trying to learn this digital stuff but I'm not good at it.
    TLDR: you know your portion sizes, apply those sizes with discretion. It is very easy to be extremely active on shore days without even realizing it. This will counteract the higher calorie intake.

You are on vacation, enjoy it, relax, and get back to your normal routine as soon as you get home.

The long version-

I lost weight during 2009. That was also the same year I went on my first cruise.

I went crazy, all the food, all the drink.
    After 18 days on holiday I got home ~10lbs up.

I was crestfallen, as I was on the slow last 5-8lbs at the time.
    I didn't dare weigh myself for 2weeks after that first weigh in. When I did weigh my self, guess what? I had a 2lbs gain, 2lbs! I could handle that. It went within the next 2weeks once I was back on my home schedule.

Each year since then I have been on a cruise of 2weeks or more.
    Things I learnt from that first one and apply.

Try everything, if it isn't tasty, leave it- it's not worth the cals.

At the buffet, check it out first, then select a small portion of your most desired items. Give yourself permission to have 2nds of your most favourite, or to try something else-small portions.

(You see a lot of people with plates piled
    high, quite a lot of those foods go to waste or waist.)

Buffets x 2. There is food available almost 24 hr. you don't need everything now, and not everything tastes good. Pace yourself and use discretion. A bun is available at home, daily, some of the small deserts are once in a lifetime, so worth it.

Dining room. 5 courses. There is no need to eat all 5. You can have 2 starters and desert if you had a large lunch.
    If you skipped lunch or had something light, go for all the courses.

Meals. I chose to have a light, medium, regular size meal each day.

Quite often I will base it on what is published for that nights menu, or where I am docked for the day.

Drinks, I get a AYCD package in with my fare- I could go crazy, especially with fru-fru cocktails. I choose to drink a good beer, then light, during the day.
    Bubbles or a gun and 0 tonic pre dinner, and bubbles for with dinner. A glass of red or white with my main.
    My fru-fru drink is my after dinner drink.

Activity. I have. Ever done laps, and only once got to the gym.
    I find I am so active on shore I don't have the energy to go to the gym on at sea days. They are my recovery days.

So in the 14-15 cruises I have dine since 2009, I have never put in more than 2 lbs of fat. I do put on 5-7 lbs of water weight and cruise with floaty dresses for the 2nd week.

Cheers, h.

@PAV8888, still up for a cruise B)

I really appreciate all the good, practical tips here. I'm not much of a drinker but I will probably have a glass of wine once or twice. Buffets are difficult for me as I have Celiac Disease and there's no way to control cross contamination. It's something of a blessing and a curse. In the past, I've been extremely impressed with both the variety of food available and the outstanding measures taken to make sure I have a lavish dining experience.

I know that when I get back the scale is going to be terrible for me. I half thought about not even weighing myself but I need to for my journal. To build a history. Thanks again. This really does help me to breathe easier.

• hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    take one bite of anything you want, leave the rest. order 3 different desserts if you cant decide and take one bite of each. plan on losing a few pounds after you get home or dance it off while on board.
  • Thebajan
    Thebajan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    You avoid permanently gaining the weight back by developing strategies for these life experiences, recognizing that your weight will fluctuate, and having a plan for what to do about those fluctuations. Temporary water weight gain outside your maintenance range is not a big deal. Being okay with staying a few pounds above your range long term...and then a few more pounds...and then a little more...that's how people regain the weight.

Thank you for this. It truly helps to ease my mind and remind me that it DOES remain my choice. :)

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Welcome home!
    Glad you had a great time, and more importantly, know you can go away, do special occasions, etc, and not stress.

You sound happy and excited.
    I'm looking forward to your next update when the water weight has dropped and you are well into your daily rhythm again.

Cheers, h.