Fitness Updates... The Quickest Way to Alienate Non-Lifting Friends

Options
It seems as though there is an infinite amount of different views and reasons why people have a social media accounts. For me it was always a way to keep myself accountable for my goals; I mean, if I post that I'm gonna do something and then I don't follow thru, then the truth about my failure will be out for all to see. This approach worked well for a bit, but you see, I don't have any serious lifting social media friends, and my regular fitness posts and photo-check ins apparently alienated all of my non-lifting friends....have any of you experienced anything similar? Just curious 🤔

Replies

• ron555bravo
    ron555bravo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I don’t do Instagram at all, so no comment there. I’m in a few nutrition and fitness groups on Facebook where I take part in discussions, but outside of that I don’t post anything at all about my training, diet/nutrition or progress on FB.

I don’t feel that it does anything for my accountability because I’m only accountable to myself for my success, so it would feel like pure vanity to me. I imagine I’d get a few courtesy “likes” at first, then most people would probably just tune me out because it’s not their thing. I prefer to keep those discussions in fitness focused places such as MFP, where I’m pretty much entirely amongst people with those same specific interests.

Sounds like the most logical approach, thanks!
  • ron555bravo
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I have a separate Instagram account for family stuff, and one for fitness. Some family and friends do follow my fitness one but they are free to unfollow if they decide they are not interested. I use this site and Facebook specific groups to chat with like-minded individuals who share my interests. I don't post fitness photos or statuses to my Facebook page though, I find that stuff is better suited for here and my fitness Instagram.

I had an Instagram account for a while, but I never really became a fan of it, so I deleted it. Thanks for sharing!!!! 💪🏼
  • ron555bravo
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I didn't have that happen. Some of my friends said it was inspiring to watch my transformation when I did my bodybuilding shows. I think it's because despite having to live a very committed lifestyle during prep my social media presence was balanced. I shared a couple of photos and some of my workout stuff, but in general I used MyFitnessPal to share that stuff.

If it's Instagram just use fitness hashtags to draw in likes. If it's Facebook maybe ask yourself whether you're oversharing or how much you care about if you are pushing people away. I love lifting and seeing my friends in their fitness pursuits, but the daily flexing pictures are not about accountability, they're vanity.

Interesting to read several comments on the "vanity" aspect of fitness posts (photos). I guess I never really looked at it from that perspective. Having spent almost half of my life around bodybuilding, I guess blinded me to the perception of those who would consider spending hours in the gym and in front of mirrors vain 😂 (as silly as that sounds). Thanks for your insight!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I don’t do Instagram at all, so no comment there. I’m in a few nutrition and fitness groups on Facebook where I take part in discussions, but outside of that I don’t post anything at all about my training, diet/nutrition or progress on FB.

I don’t feel that it does anything for my accountability because I’m only accountable to myself for my success, so it would feel like pure vanity to me. I imagine I’d get a few courtesy “likes” at first, then most people would probably just tune me out because it’s not their thing. I prefer to keep those discussions in fitness focused places such as MFP, where I’m pretty much entirely amongst people with those same specific interests.

Same here. Also, for me, it doesn't come down to anyone else holding me accountable. I am accountable to me. I have my goals and my decisions and they are really no one else's business.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Request friends who lift- prob solved
  • SandSeaSkySoul
    SandSeaSkySoul Posts: 212 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I dislike those whom post their business upon their personal accounts, their personal life upon their business accounts and/or "Like", their own posts!
  • TheHobbit2017
    TheHobbit2017 Posts: 96 Member
    Options

sardelsa wrote: »
    I have a separate Instagram account for family stuff, and one for fitness. Some family and friends do follow my fitness one but they are free to unfollow if they decide they are not interested. I use this site and Facebook specific groups to chat with like-minded individuals who share my interests. I don't post fitness photos or statuses to my Facebook page though, I find that stuff is better suited for here and my fitness Instagram.

I do exactly this, it’s works well :)
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Dunno. I have plenty of friends who lift and most of us agree that seeing daily "progress" pics gets a bit old at times. Unless you've made some truly visible progress or it's a vid of a new PR or something we don't need to see your new stringer or daily pics of your biceps. ;)

However, this applies mostly to general social media accounts like Facebook and I suppose texting each other. If you have a specific account set up to showcase your awesomeness then go for it. If people don't like that they can avoid looking without missing other possibly important details and updates that aren't about how much tonnage you lifted this week or that new pumped selfie you took in perfect lighting.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I didn't have that happen. Some of my friends said it was inspiring to watch my transformation when I did my bodybuilding shows. I think it's because despite having to live a very committed lifestyle during prep my social media presence was balanced. I shared a couple of photos and some of my workout stuff, but in general I used MyFitnessPal to share that stuff.

If it's Instagram just use fitness hashtags to draw in likes. If it's Facebook maybe ask yourself whether you're oversharing or how much you care about if you are pushing people away. I love lifting and seeing my friends in their fitness pursuits, but the daily flexing pictures are not about accountability, they're vanity.

great (and accurate) perspective.
  • urloved33
    edited August 2018
    Options
    what do people think when something great (life changing - elevating) happens to you. 'WHAT ABOUT ME" and that Is the long and short of it. unless people are on the path with you they mostly are not interested/feel threatened./
  • urloved33
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I dislike those whom post their business upon their personal accounts, their personal life upon their business accounts and/or "Like", their own posts!

I love crossover accts and support my friends/family in business on ANY account especially personally. I was - for 30 years a small business owner - and I support entrepreneur efforts///if you cant count on your own friends and family what is it all about alphie? I like my own posts at times...I can be a fan of myself and self promote. body builders to religious buffs to other cultures and countries...love diversity it KEEPS YOU VIABLE ANd RELEVENT
  • urloved33
    Options
    It seems as though there is an infinite amount of different views and reasons why people have a social media accounts. For me it was always a way to keep myself accountable for my goals; I mean, if I post that I'm gonna do something and then I don't follow thru, then the truth about my failure will be out for all to see. This approach worked well for a bit, but you see, I don't have any serious lifting social media friends, and my regular fitness posts and photo-check ins apparently alienated all of my non-lifting friends....have any of you experienced anything similar? Just curious 🤔

I really think this mostly stems from people being not very broad minded - kind of like. church people do church gym people do gym and so on...I like people who LIKE IT ALL AND DO TONS. OPEN MINDED.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Over the years, I've surrounded myself with likewise individuals. Those friends who are hostile are either unfollowed/restricted/hidden or banhammered. I have no time for jerks.

On FB I made a separate page for fitness related posts, where friends/acquaintances can follow my progress in powerlifting, or ignore me. I use IG for all fitness where the personal and fitness may never intertwine.