Low Calorie Flavors

Options
2»

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I love Stubb's anytime sauce: green chili, sweet black pepper, sriracha.

Lawry's has some decent marinades that I use as sauce. I have tried and liked: Sweet Asian BBQ, Santa Fe Chili, Mediterranean Herb, Teriyaki.

Salsa, hot sauce, balsamic vinegar are also tasty low calorie additions.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    siracha hot sauce and sugar free ketchup are staples here. The wetness of a dip just makes things beter and easier to swallow so i get it xD im a basic person i guess by choice
  • chubbycatcorner
    chubbycatcorner Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Pepper and rosemary are my go too atm. For some reason I love them alot atm.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Well here's the problem - if the condiment is in front of me I will overuse no matter what. I have trouble backing away from it. I will dump 6 tablespoons of ketchup on one burger and it doesn't taste ok unless I do that. LOL. BBQ sauce FORGET IT. I can cook with less for sure but it just doesn't taste right to me. (i love dipping things into sauce don't judge lol.)

I know I can still choose to do this and still lose as long as i watch what else i put into my mouth - but I'm trying to explore other lower calorie options. Who knows - i may find something new to love that I can dump on and love.

and im working with 1200-1400 Cals per day.

Are you seasoning your food while you cook it? Condiments are great but if they're the only source of flavor in your meals I can see how that can create a problem. If you like barbecue sauce maybe try a barbecue style meat rub and/or smoked paprika. I've never felt the need to add condiments to anything I seasoned with curry powder or paste!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,425 Member
    Options
    I use lots of spices and herbs, plus soy and fish sauce and a few other fermented things for cooking. But I never really liked sauces and condiments. I just like the actual taste of the food I'm eating. Maybe try to find a liking in actual food: start slowly with just a few things, try out what it tastes like, etc...
  • PHOTOCHAP
    PHOTOCHAP Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Marinade everything! Use spices for flavor and chopped tomatoes as a base. Make low cal tasty chilli or fire up your taste buds with your own curry. Make it to your own taste with individual spices not shop bought sauces.
    Olive oil and lemon/lime start things off, the rest is up to your imagination.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Herbs and spices
    Vinegars
    Citrus juice, citrus zest
    Garlic, onion, capers, peppers, ginger
    Mustard, hot sauce, salsa, worchestershire sauce, soy sauce
    Broth

Season food when you cook so you don't dump sauces on at the table.