228 lbs
17% body fat
Macros
10% carbs
65% fats
25% protein
Calories: 2,282
Sodium intake: 1500 mg daily average

I have been doing Keto for 3 months and I recently started CrossFit. Before CrossFit I just mainly went to the gym and did cardio and some lifting work. I felt exhausted the first couple of weeks while cutting my carbs below 50. I soon adjusted to it and didn’t have a problem.

I wanted to take my exercise up to a new level and started doing CrossFit. I am into week 2 and feel like I am hitting walls doing my metcons. I am usually at a limit into my 3/5 round.

I am wondering if I need to up my carbs intake for CrossFit or something else. Also I have to be careful with consuming sodium because of my high blood pressure I was diagnosed with last year.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I can't see how many calories you're eating, which is most important?
  • scollins751
    scollins751 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can't see how many calories you're eating, which is most important?
    Updated it. Forgot to include it
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks, your calorie goal looks ok, I guess you're aiming for weightloss? I hope someone who actually knows chimes in - all I know is that carbs, generally, is important for athletic performance, but also that there are keto athletes - I'm just wondering about your sodium intake; even if you have to limit sodium, are you sure you a) have to go so low, and 2) that you don't need more because you're a) exercising a lot and probably sweat a bit, and b) eat keto?
  • scollins751
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I am:
    Male
    6’00”
    228 lbs
    17% body fat
    Macros
    10% carbs
    65% fats
    25% protein

I have been doing Keto for 3 months and I recently started CrossFit. Before CrossFit I just mainly went to the gym and did cardio and some lifting work. I felt exhausted the first couple of weeks while cutting my carbs below 50. I soon adjusted to it and didn’t have a problem.

I wanted to take my exercise up to a new level and started doing CrossFit. I am into week 2 and feel like I am hitting walls doing my metcons. I am usually at a limit into my 3/5 round.

I am wondering if I need to up my carbs intake for CrossFit or something else. Also I have to be careful with consuming sodium because of my high blood pressure I was diagnosed with last year.

If blood pressure is a concern keto is not good for you. When you delete glycogen, you also flush electrolytes, so you need 3500-5000mg+ of sodium to ensure you getting adequate electrolytes. If not, you could experience severe issues, like tachycardia.

So maybe just low carb because my doctor suggested low carb to keep maintaining weight loss. I also follow the American Heart Associations guideline for people who have high blood pressure. My pressure is back to normal though with the medication, exercise, and proper eating. It averages about 120/70
  • scollins751
    Options
    I am:
    Male
    6’00”
    228 lbs
    17% body fat
    Macros
    10% carbs
    65% fats
    25% protein

If blood pressure is a concern keto is not good for you. When you delete glycogen, you also flush electrolytes, so you need 3500-5000mg+ of sodium to ensure you getting adequate electrolytes. If not, you could experience severe issues, like tachycardia.

So maybe just low carb because my doctor suggested low carb to keep maintaining weight loss. I also follow the American Heart Associations guideline for people who have high blood pressure. My pressure is back to normal though with the medication, exercise, and proper eating. It averages about 120/70

Carbs have no impact on fat loss, calories do. If you enjoy lower carbs than aiming for closer to 100-150g (mainly fromt whole sources) will probably be a bit more ideal. But if you experience cramping, lightheadedness, or struggle to do cross fit, you can go for a more balanced approach. And it may be worth seeing a dietician.

Thanks. I have an appointment this Monday with my doctor for my checkup. I plan on discussing this with her as well.

Thank you
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Most athletes are not trying to be in ketosis while conducting intense exercise. Intense exercise requires sugar based metabolism to be used. The only keto athletes are more leaning towards ultra type events.

I would suggest that come out of ketosis which if you keep your calories correct will not have an effect on weight loss. A low to moderate carb intake will increase your crossfit performance. I would suggest 100-150 grams of carbs per day plus 30% of your exercise carbs whatever you think that is. This will be an adequate amount to fuel your exercise while not giving you an excess of carbs beyond what your brain and body burn in a day.
  • whatsizbucket
    whatsizbucket Posts: 31 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I agree.

Calories are the definer of things. I did keto for about 2 weeks off and on, and nothing. It's not sustainable. I did not lose a single pound, except for water weight. Not to mention, I have my calories set up to where they are almost even each meal. That include snacks. I was also lethargic from the low carb intake. As far as I am concerned, Keto is a fad, that will be replaced by another thing. As Joe Fridel said in 'Your First Triathlon', that both fat and carbs are essential for the sport. You cannot have one without the other. He was adamant about it, so he repeated it twice.