so confused- BMR

Options
so I have been concerned am I eating enough. Working out 6 days a week- 30-45 minutes (more each day) eating 1200-1300 calories (and struggling to eat those) I am not hungry. I have a lot of energy. I am losing inches like crazy but gained this week. I looked up on another site what my BMR was and based on their calculations and my acitvity level I should be eating 2692 calories! minus 500 from that it says in order to lose weight. I have mine set on MFP for 1470 calories- is that reasonable? I want to make sure I am doing this right. I am working too hard to sabatoge my efforts with incorrect information. I dont know how to eat more calories in a day. I am at a loss. Any suggestions would be helpful. My diary is open.

Replies

• auba2004
    auba2004 Posts: 12
    Options
    as far as you gaining hun its probably muscle!! MFP has my calorie intake at 1920!!! i cn not eat even close to that i am always full i usually get around 1300-1400 and i also excersize everyday! I did start adding cottage cheese and it upped my calorie intake!
  • shiftblade
    Options
    First off - good work! BMR is pretty confusing and different calculators give different results. I'm no expert but 1200 cals per day + 35 minutes of cardio would mean that you would be losing weight quite fast. I've done this in the past and I guess the only problem was that it wasn't sustainable - and once I started eating normally again my body bounced back to a higher weight + extra.

It's difficult when you're doing so well and have such control to be moderate with weight loss. I have similar calories and workout goals to you. I find that I am pretty hungry though. In all honesty assuming you're burning 300 - 400 cals with that 35 minutes, your calorie intake for each day would be below 1000 - which is quite low.

Good luck though! And congrats on your efforts so far!
  • derynb
    derynb Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I cant see your diary...wonder if I am doing something wrong.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    So much of it depends on you... your metabolism, muscles, general activity level.
    When I started, it told me 1500 to lose .5/wk. I tried it for a few days and just couldn't do it. I was STARVING! I upped it manually to 1800 but usually add around 500 calories for exercise. I find even on days I don't work out, I average around 2300 calories. I've managed to lose the 12 pounds I set out to lose so I wonder how many calories I must have been eating before! I'm guessing close to 3000-- yikes! But-- I've always had a high metabolism, I'm very active (can't sit still), and I strength train regularly. When I dont eat enough, I get cranky.
    Meanwhile there are people on my "firends" list who average around 1200 calories a day and don't always eat them all.

Listen to your body. If you find you are hungry all the time (as I was... still sometimes am!!) and your energy is low, eat more healthy calories. If you are not hungry and you've eaten a good mix of proteins and healthy carbs, don't force yourself. I think part of the success of this program is just getting people to think about the food choices they are making... am I actually hungry? is this really what I want to waste calories on? am I giving my body the fuel it needs? etc. As far as the numbers, they are going to be different for each person's needs.
  • HisBeloved65
    Options
    First off - good work! BMR is pretty confusing and different calculators give different results. I'm no expert but 1200 cals per day + 35 minutes of cardio would mean that you would be losing weight quite fast. I've done this in the past and I guess the only problem was that it wasn't sustainable - and once I started eating normally again my body bounced back to a higher weight + extra.

It's difficult when you're doing so well and have such control to be moderate with weight loss. I have similar calories and workout goals to you. I find that I am pretty hungry though. In all honesty assuming you're burning 300 - 400 cals with that 35 minutes, your calorie intake for each day would be below 1000 - which is quite low.

Good luck though! And congrats on your efforts so far!

thanks. I have been working at this for 4 months and have lost 16 lbs, I am not unhappy with that at all. I just want to make sure that I am doing this right and in the best way. That is a 1 lb loss a week averaged out, so again- I am ok with that. I just get confused when I start reading :-) and I am a tad obsessive compulsive. Thank you for your input. I will continue as I am. I am getting stronger and I feel good. I upped my calories up to 1470 because I am exercising progressively more every day (and falling in love with it) so...we will see how it goes this next couple of weeks.
  • HisBeloved65
    Options
    as far as you gaining hun its probably muscle!! MFP has my calorie intake at 1920!!! i cn not eat even close to that i am always full i usually get around 1300-1400 and i also excersize everyday! I did start adding cottage cheese and it upped my calorie intake!

Thanks, I hadnt thought of cottage cheese, it is a food I enjoy.