Gaining muscle

Options
Hi guys Alan here. I am approaching 60 and decided to start taking more process to build up my arms and chest. I’m 6’2” and 210lbs. A trainer at my gym tells me I should be consuming 210 grams of protein per day and I’m struggling to get it all in. Any easy way of consuming that amount. Trying to lose some fat and replace it with the muscle. What basic supplements should I use. Don’t wanna waste my time and money. Thanks guys

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Most protein recommendations are 0.8g per Lb of goal weight. This may be more manageable for you.
    I prelog my meals - adding a protein source for each meal first may help you get a sufficient intake. Once you've added a main protein source, add your other components in.

If you have fat to lose, working on losing this first may be a better option. This would require eating in a deficit. eating sufficient protein and weight training will help you maintain muscle as you lose fat.

Supplements aren't really necessary - you may want to invest in a protein powder if you struggle to get enough protein through food.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Most protein recommendations are 0.8g per Lb of goal weight. This may be more manageable for you.
    I prelog my meals - adding a protein source for each meal first may help you get a sufficient intake. Once you've added a main protein source, add your other components in.

If you have fat to lose, working on losing this first may be a better option. This would require eating in a deficit. eating sufficient protein and weight training will help you maintain muscle as you lose fat.

Supplements aren't really necessary - you may want to invest in a protein powder if you struggle to get enough protein through food.

Agree, with all the above. Also question for @alantran6725 , what about building up legs? Strong legs/core will help prevent the "help I've fallen and can't get up" situation as we age.

wvdsgeqb7go2.png

• alantran6725
    alantran6725 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. The legs are solid and I do spinning classes for them too. Abs classes too mainly to hel my core. Snapped all my quads a few years s back so lookin to muscle them up more as I get to that certain age. Is creatine worth using btw. Thanks
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...Is creatine worth using btw...

Creatine is one of the very few supplements that actually has a sound scientific basis for its use. It’s no magical miracle, but it can help.

With that said, some people are non-responders to it. I took creatine for a year and saw no benefits from it at all, so I stopped taking it. But it’s inexpensive, works for many people and is certainly worth a try.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    0.8g is recommended but, for an older person it can go higher.

This is based on lean body mass. Whey protein powder is an easy way to increase intake.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ...Is creatine worth using btw...

Creatine is one of the very few supplements that actually has a sound scientific basis for its use. It’s no magical miracle, but it can help.

With that said, some people are non-responders to it. I took creatine for a year and saw no benefits from it at all, so I stopped taking it. But it’s inexpensive, works for many people and is certainly worth a try.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10637410/beneficial-supplements-which-ones-are-right-for-you/p1

Too add, there are actually a few others.. some that support recovery (like L-Citrulline and Beta Alanine).
  • rebeccacornelius6439
    Options
    I would get a protein powder to help supplement. I have a really hard time as well. If I did not have my protein shake I would never get close. The general rule for building muscle is 1 g of protein pure 1 lb of weight. I know some people who actually do more. I have seen people take double their weight. I just cannot be consumed by eating all that but I do try for my body weight which is still hard at 130. My belly isn’t that big.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Hi guys Alan here. I am approaching 60 and decided to start taking more process to build up my arms and chest. I’m 6’2” and 210lbs. A trainer at my gym tells me I should be consuming 210 grams of protein per day and I’m struggling to get it all in. Any easy way of consuming that amount. Trying to lose some fat and replace it with the muscle. What basic supplements should I use. Don’t wanna waste my time and money. Thanks guys

Trainer might even be a touch low since you are of more advanced age but trainer is definitely in ballpark. Typically you want at least your body weight and a few grams more once over 50 years of age or so. I also recommend eating better quality protein source since we don't absorb the protein as efficiently as when we were younger and better quality is just that. We also want out leucine level high enough so by eating more of animal products with out meals this will ensure that. Nearly all Whey protein powder has plenty of what you will need and I would also suggest Monohydrate Creatine daily. Most respond to it some more than others and of course a chunk will not.

Do you know your estimated body fat percentage? At your height and weight your best route is undetermined without having a good idea. Sometimes a full body pic in shorts will help.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Hi im 48 and am doing a mass program meaning im trying to put on as much muscle on as i can. I know what your saying regarding the protein intake. I personally use creatine and protein powder. I also intake a minimum of 1g of protein per pound of body weight. Also here is a little advice, before your workout have a protein shake. After your workout have another protein shake right away along with creatine. This is what is working for me and works quite well. Also at dinner try to eat green salad as it helps blood circulation which means more nutrients to the muscles. One more thing eat 3 eggs at breakfast everyday.

While protein shakes are not a bad idea, meal timing isn't as relevant as once thought. Honestly one just needs to eat a sensible balanced meal(including carbs and protien) within a few hours of lifting. Also one can take their dose of creatine at any time, it makes no difference.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Trainer might even be a touch low since you are of more advanced age but trainer is definitely in ballpark. Typically you want at least your body weight and a few grams more once over 50 years of age or so. I also recommend eating better quality protein source since we don't absorb the protein as efficiently as when we were younger and better quality is just that. We also want out leucine level high enough so by eating more of animal products with out meals this will ensure that. Nearly all Whey protein powder has plenty of what you will need and I would also suggest Monohydrate Creatine daily. Most respond to it some more than others and of course a chunk will not.

Do you know your estimated body fat percentage? At your height and weight your best route is undetermined without having a good idea. Sometimes a full body pic in shorts will help.

As a 65 yo, I agree with what @chiieflrg has posted.

Personally I keep my protein at 80-100g for ~100lbs body weight. Which is a tad lower than the suggestion above.

What I do concentrate on is having my protein intake in larger chunks, 3 meals, split. This keeps the leucine levels high enough in an older individual for good synthesis.

My protein comes mainly from dairy and meat/seafood. Admitiy my breakfast if a protein bar, but that is because I am not a breakfast eater by nature, and this is a good way to fulfil that protein 'chunk'.

I keep whey powder on hand and will use it (just mixed with water) to top up if I am a little low on a particular day. I don't use it often, but it sure is handy.

Cheers, h.