Any women out there over 40 with the metabolism of a speeding sloth?

Options
Hi there,

Would like to connect with anyone who has been able to make progress with their weight loss despite being over 40 and despite a slow metabolism.

And feel free to add me as a friend! :)

Replies

• evilruler
    evilruler Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I’m new here so I’m not sure if you’re still active on the boards. I’m turning 43 next month and was lucky enough to start having menopausal issues at 39. My metabolism pretty much laughs at me on a daily basis. I went from being skinny my whole life to, WTH. I have successfully lost 50lbs on a ketogenic diet. I gained it all back as soon as I stopped it. It doesn’t help that I love food. Being skinny my whole life, I never needed to learn self control when it came to food.

Thanks menopause.....

😊 Jessica
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Strength training has been key for me since turning 40, along with nutrition.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,063 Member
    Options
    Here's something that might be of some help ...

How Does Fat Leave the Body?
    Learn What Happens During Fat Metabolism

https://www.verywellfit.com/how-does-fat-leave-the-body-4165132
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Would like to connect with anyone who has been able to make progress with their weight loss despite being over 40 and despite a slow metabolism.

And feel free to add me as a friend! :)

Welcome :smile: I lost 20 lbs from 41-43. I thought I had been doing everything right and was destined to be dumpy. But once I started logging accurately and consistently and worked on becoming more active, I lost weight just like anyone else would.

When you get a moment, read the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each board - lots of great beginner info there. Most of the veterans who stick around here to help out others are in their 40s, 50s, and 60s and finally figured out the numbers by using the food log and a food scale. Good luck!
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Bachataera wrote: »
    No idea about "slow metabolism", never had it measured. But I do know that it is possible to lose weight, if in a calorie deficit.
    Age, in itself does not affect weight loss.

Using mfp as a tool it was designed for, I have successfully lost 52lb. Now entering maintenance, for life. So, well worth taking time to adjust my diet in a way that I can live with for ever. Eating fewer calories than your body burns will result in weight loss. Mfp helped me find that correct balance.

It's simple,although not always easy, but it works.

I am female, 50 years old, with a couple of health conditions. Plus I am physically disabled, unable to "exercise" and still lost weight through diet alone. It has taken hard work at times, consistency and patience, but it was definitely worth it!

Good for you but myself, I'm on a 1100 calorie diet and still struggle. I must fit in nutrition and energy so aside from starvation, I can't lose weight so maybe you could be a bit more open to the fact that not everyone is as awesome as you

Was trying to help OP, by explaining how mfp helped me. I now how hard it can be and was trying to help. The only reason I listed how much I lost was not to brag but show where I had started.

Yet

You state on this thread, how impossible it has been for you to lose weight. (Therefore understanding op better than me). Yet on your post a couple of days ago, you stated that you are not overweight, just use mfp to track and maintain a healthy diet.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I do not wish to derail this thread but would like to leave a response in reply to those who feel like I was attacking OP.
    @Wendyanneroberts, I am so sorry if you felt like I was attacking you in my rant. That was not what I intended, and I apologize if it seemed that way. Your post was not at all what inspired my rant.

I was writing out of a more general frustration with the apparent tone of the thread, with several other less-than-supportive postings I had just read here on MFP, and with the amount of criticism and insult I feel from the world at large regarding my weight and my my efforts to control it. And this thread may not have been the right place to let all that spill out, so my apologies for that as well.

Thank you for going into such detail about your struggle and your success. I am sorry to hear of your disability, delighted to hear of your weight loss success, and glad that you are posting here on these boards.
  • redhed1971
    redhed1971 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and started experiencing the symptoms of perimenopause about a year and a half ago, which seemed to make losing weight much harder than it had been. Around a year ago, I decided it was time to get very serious about weight loss (I have a young family I would like to be around for). I lost about 35 pounds on keto (but a much lower fat version than typical) over the next 4 months, just doing keto and maintaining my fairly sedentary lifestyle. After I had lost that 35 pounds, I recognized that it was becoming pretty difficult to maintain a loss of 1-2 pounds a week, even though I adjusted my macros for my new weight. I fought very hard for each pound (cals never over 1100/day; P approx 80, C < 20, F 30-80). I got myself a Fitbit for my birthday this past January, and since that time, have transformed my cardiac fitness and have lost another 30 pounds. I am still following the same basic eating plan, but the increased activity really has made a difference for me. My resting HR went from 80 to 61 and I have gotten off of my statin and antihypertensive. I don't go to the gym or have any kind of gym equipment at home. I just walk, run, Zumba, play volleyball with my kids, go for hikes, etc. Perhaps just working in more movement will help you as it did me. I am sure that CICO is part of the reason this has kept me losing.... I burn more calories now and don't eat them back. But beyond that, I do believe there are differences in people's metabolism that make weight loss much more complex individually than can be condensed into a simple formula. I wish you the very best of luck. Don't give up! What really matters is that you are moving forward, not the speed at which you are doing it.