Is it ok to go over one of your macros as long as you hit the calorie goal for weight loss?

Options
For example if my carb goal is 108grams but if I go over this by like 20grams, will this affect my weight loss progress?

Replies

• elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Good question. Can't wait to hear the answers.
  • SparklesFer097
    SparklesFer097 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Good question. Can't wait to hear the answers.

Lol same, it scares me when I go over my carbs. So I wanna find out
  • SparklesFer097
    SparklesFer097 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For example if my carb goal is 108grams but if I go over this by like 20grams, will this affect my weight loss progress?

Yes its ok and no it wont if you're under your cals as a whole

Thank u!!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options

Weight loss is determined by Calorie Deficit. I don't even understand Macros.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    My carb count fluctuates wildly from day to day. It's never made any difference in my rate of loss, or maintenance.
  • BlueAlexx
    BlueAlexx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    They can affect satiety, and some health and fitness goals. Folks have lost weight here using all different types of macro ratios

^^ this.
    If you are one of us for whom refined carbs trigger cravings and hunger and lack of satiety...then over-eating carbs may make it harder to stick to your calorie goal because of insulin-driven hunger for the next couple days. At least, that’s my experience.
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    If you are specifically doing a low carb or keto plan, and you have a higher than normal carb day, it can have some short term water weight impact but calories are what matter for true fat loss.

^^ this.
    So just go back to your goals for low carb/keto and the water weight drops in a few days.

Most important— don’t panic.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Calories are king. Protein is second, and I try to hit my fat and carbs close, but when they fall where they may. I really don't care if I blow out my fat or carbs (usually if I'm under my calories, it's one or the other, not both), it all comes out in the wash. Protein is important because I lift weights.

I also track fiber, it's important because I've got hemorrhoids. Probably less important for other people, although I hear high fiber diets are good for weight loss. I'm not sure if it's the fiber, or the fact that fiber is usually found in healthier foods. All other things being equal (calories and what not) if your diet has more fiber foods it's got healthier foods.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Nope. Macros are just a suggestion. Unless you're going extremely high/low on certain nutrients, then you risk malnutrition and/or various illnesses.

It's all about the calories.
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Calories are the only thing that affects my weight loss.

I look at the sodium one though. I get bloated so easily, so I try to pay a little attention to it. I might lose but still look 3 months pregnant if I don't....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    It's about calories. Now if you have a HEALTH ISSUE (diabetes, insulin resistance), it may matter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Of course it's fine, unless you are diabetic and need to stay at a certain carb level. As long as you're keeping within your calorie allotment, it's fine.
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    If you don't have a major health issue (like diabetes for example) then you don't have to worry so much about macros. I personally try to stay within my macros as much as possible, but if I go over occasionally I don't worry about it. The only one I have a problem with is sodium in the summer months, because I swell easily from the heat and too much sodium makes it worse.