OATMEAL lovers!! Please help! Need advice.

Options
What is the best oatmeal out there? (healthy) lol and of course low in sugar?!

I have the Quaker Oats instant and old fashioned. I would love to add oatmeal to my breakfast so I can switch it up a bit! I'm thinking of adding half of a banana or sliced up strawberries with almond milk & one tablespoon of almond butter!

What are your favorite ways to eat oatmeal?

Replies

• change_happens
    Options
    What is the best oatmeal out there? (healthy) lol and of course low in sugar?!

I have the Quaker Oats instant and old fashioned. I would love to add oatmeal to my breakfast so I can switch it up a bit! I'm thinking of adding half of a banana or sliced up strawberries with almond milk & one tablespoon of almond butter!

What are your favorite ways to eat oatmeal?

i love oatmeal and blueberries or just plain :)
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I looove oatmeal! So filling and yummy. :) I like mine with raisins, chopped apple and cinnamon. Dried cranberries taste good too. Sometimes I add brown sugar or maple syrup for sweetness, but not too much!

I also love that on my non-workout days, I can save calories by eating it plain and still be full.
  • Tivo8MyNeighbors
    Tivo8MyNeighbors Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    We eat oatmeal for breakfast a lot, because it's one of my four year-old's favorites, believe it or not :) We love it with a little milk and cinnamon, with fresh fruit cut up, especially bananas and strawberries. Sometimes, I add a bit of honey to my son's oatmeal, too, but I tend to skip that for myself. When we have bacon or sausage (either meat or soy) for breakfast, we also like to break that up and put it in the oatmeal with everything else. The mixture of sweet and savory is wonderful.
  • mmlkb4
    mmlkb4 Posts: 11
    Options
    I like flax seed and strawberries on my oatmeal!
  • kristofferbas
    kristofferbas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I eat it for breakfast every day and love it, but I don't like to put anything sweet in it (honey/fruit) so I have it with lingonberry jam and milk. Awesome breakfast and it keeps me full for a long time.

/k
  • HazelAngelstar
    Options
    i like the Quaker Oats so Simple with some frozen berries added while cooking. I can eat the plain oats, but I must admit I prefer the flavoured ones (apart from the golden syrup one - that's just too sweet).

if i do not have any frozen berries - i will add some dried fruit instead
  • EJanine
    EJanine Posts: 23
    Options
    My husband loves it when I prepare his oatmeal with raisins, slivered almonds and brown sugar. I think I'll have to try some of the suggestions above. Diced fresh apple sounds good!
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that instant oats are likely to have a higher Glycaemic Index than traditional/whole oats.
  • jamie117100
    Options
    I like the instant Quaker oatmeal. I like the strawberries n' cream and peaches n' cream. I also like the old fashion with a little sugar or brown sugar. It is also good with fruit, milk, honey, or plain. :smile:
  • negative187
    Options
    I'm often too lazy to make up oatmeal, I don't have much time in the morning. I absolutely love porridge oats mixed with soya yoghurt and a chopped banana. Sometimes I'll microwave some blackberries and apple pieces and have that on top. It tastes amazing and the addition of hot blackberries and apples or even hot raspberries turns the oatmeal into a fantastic pinky-purpley colour! I like colourful food.
  • SeatownJ
    SeatownJ Posts: 11
    Options
    I like John McCann's Steel Cut Oatmeal every morning. I find the texture of the steel cut oats to be much more enjoyable than the mushy texture of the rolled oats. I usually eat a quarter cup with one whole organic banana and non-fat milk. Sometimes I'll switch it up a bit with berries or minced pear or minced apples.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Always 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 9-10 chopped raw almonds and whatever fruit is lying around. Very filling and the cottage cheese makes it creamy and delish. I've been converted over to steel-cut oats as well.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Porridge, yeah? I make mine with whole oats and water, with 1/3 measure of chocolate protein powder. Comes to about 150cal.
  • fitnhealthyccthatsme
    fitnhealthyccthatsme Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    For years (pre-MFP) I've eaten oatmeal with butter, brown sugar & chocolate chips. Now that I'm 3 months into my new fit & healthy lifestyle, I've gotten away from the extra fat & sugars.

Recently I added 1/2 scoop chocolate protein and didn't really enjoy the flavor so I added about 1/4 tsp cocoa powder and it made it tolerable.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I like John McCann's Steel Cut Oatmeal every morning. I find the texture of the steel cut oats to be much more enjoyable than the mushy texture of the rolled oats. I usually eat a quarter cup with one whole organic banana and non-fat milk. Sometimes I'll switch it up a bit with berries or minced pear or minced apples.
    sounds good!

Anyone making Steel Cut in the Crockpot and can share how they do it? I'd like to make more than one serving at a time so it's not so time consuming each morning. Open to ideas, wanna get back into the oatmeal world:tongue:
  • turtleohs
    turtleohs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I use the quaker oats, I add cinnamon, raisins, strawberries, a little tiny bit of brown sugar. It's also good with apples, walnuts, cranberries, pretty much any fruit or nut :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Splenda, cinnamon and dried berries.
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Lot's of cinnamin and cut up fruit, either banana, apple, or prunes. Nothing else.
  • Darlis
    Darlis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Asst dried fruits....blueberries, cherries and cranberries....cooked with the oatmeal to make them plump up.....yummy!