Cheat Days... and the aftermath

Options
Well, I have lost a lot of weight in the past 4-5 months and it was going very well, even when I ate out, but then, my mum was getting upset saying I was going to die if I didn’t eat, she is a little bit of a drama queen but so am I lol. So then I ate so much food, way past my calorie goal,
I have never had a cheat day before and wanted to count it as one, but I dont really know what to do now. Should I water fast or just continue normally? I feel really bad about myself...

Replies

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    All great advice above.. I schedule a treat meal most weeks. ( I refuse to call it"cheat" meal) lol
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I have some uneven days, but I make the look even by shifting calories forward - see the last couple of days 8/25-26). I paddled a slow SUP 8.7 miles as a big overage eraser; if I hadn't done that, I would have rolled forward some into the next and the next...
  • theknitpicker
    theknitpicker Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yes, like @sarahbums said, you don't want to set yourself up on a binge-restrict-binge cycle, too easy to get stuck in it, even though your brain "knows better"...

I usually go with something like this formula:

1. Don't feel bad about yourself
    2. Eat when you're hungry. I normally find after a big/unplanned meal the night before, I'm not as hungry in the morning. I usually roll with it, have a coffee, a super light breafast, or none depending on how I feel, and then carry on with a normal day after my hunger signals go back to what they should be

And the other thing is if you know you're going to be seeing/eating with your mum, and food is one of those things to her, plan that into your week, maybe eat a little bit below your daily goal and "save up" to that special meal with her so you can feel a bit more in control. I have some friends who do that every time they go up to see their in-laws, as to them, not eating (or not eating like them) is a bit insulting.

Just remember, you've been succeeding - you've got all the tools you need! Now's all about finding the real-life and other-people balance :)
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I agree with all - just get on track. Yesterday is past and there isn't anything you can do about it. Every day is a new opportunity to eat healthy.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I just had a "cheat" four days because I had a relative in town. My weight is up a few pounds but I expect it will drop in the next day or two. If seeing your weight go up will really throw you off, wait a little while to weigh yourself. The gain will be mostly water weight so after a day or two of eating normally (maybe a little lower salt) it will go back down. No need to water fast. Long-term you are guaranteed to have larger than normal meals- holidays, birthdays, drunchies etc. so it's good practice to accept them and move on.
  • mathura06
    mathura06 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for replying and I am doing exactly what you said!! I continued as normal the next day, though I ate more fibrous foods, and I lost the extra weight the next day!! Thank you all for replying and have a great day!!
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    mathura06 wrote: »
    Well, I have lost a lot of weight in the past 4-5 months and it was going very well, even when I ate out, but then, my mum was getting upset saying I was going to die if I didn’t eat, she is a little bit of a drama queen but so am I lol. So then I ate so much food, way past my calorie goal,
    I have never had a cheat day before and wanted to count it as one, but I dont really know what to do now. Should I water fast or just continue normally? I feel really bad about myself...

How old are you OP. If your mom is getting worried you should see a doctor
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Everyone above is right, I'd like to suggest you ponder your feelings and circumstances that ended in a binge. There are probably triggers that you can plan to avoid or cope with differently. For me, two hours of food tv and I'm eating everything in sight.

Special occasions, like Mom made her special pie, are worth eating at or above maintenance. Logging it as best as I can helps me understand how it effected my loss for the week.