anyone here with Rhematoid or oseto arthritis?

doceo
doceo Posts: 46 Member
edited August 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I've had a rough year. I had back surgery on l5 s1 for an extruding disc for which I was in pain almost 6 months. I know I have osteo in my back. I'm still not released from the doctor for that surgery, and I woke up this week with my 2 index fingers in pain and hard to bend. My right index is more painful than my left index.

It sounds like RA (sister has it) BUT I haven't been officially diagnosed. I'll set that up this week.

My hubby and I are in the process of considering a move from a northern PA to southern coastal GA (almost in FL). Now I'm worried that the coast may not be good for arthritis...humidity and all that.

Can anyone tell me if anything about weather and arthritis? Is the cold or humidity worse?

Replies

• kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    I have arthritis and I find the cold the worst. For me, the humidity helps.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    edited August 2018
    I have osteoarthritis, and WARM GOOD. COLD BAD.

I’ve never noticed that humidity makes any difference whatsoever, and I’m kind of curious as to how it could?
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    I have osteo in one shoulder - getting it cold is bad, warm is good.
  • doceo
    thanks, everyone. So a move to GA may be a good move. How do you all survive the cold? You all live in, what I assume, is cold weather areas?
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    I live in the UK, so I can expect a certain amount of cold in the winter. Mostly, I survive it by keepng the problem joint (my ankle) warm. I knit, so I made myself toeless socks that I can wear just on that one ankle. Microwaveable wheat bags are the best. And anti-inflammatory painkillers such as ibuprofen will help prevent the damage getting worse.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Same same - warm helps cold hurts. The humidity just makes smaller changes in the temperature have a bigger effect and bigger changes have a profound effect. 40 in FL is worse that 20 in CO. I also have a bulging disc at L5S1 and another at L4L5. 90% of diagnosed bulging/herniated discs are at those two locations. I have only had a lumbar MRI (the only accurate way to diagnose disc problems) and may have a couple of others. I also have spinal stenosis at L4L5, osteo and some squaring off. I have systemic osteo that may be rooted in something more rheumatic as I get bilateral symmetric flares. I tend to get them in the cold weather; very rarely in the warm weather.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I have osteo. Warm is good, storms, for me, are not. Like @CarvedTones I get symmetric symptoms, but all blood tests have been negative for RA.
  • doceo
    Looks like I need to seriously consider this move to GA. I need to check out storms and humidity there. I've never moved from my little town (little!) so this is stressful! I need to call a dr today and see about a RA test. My younger sister has it...poor soul put on 100 lbs from steroids and she is still in pain.
  • wyattjenniferl97
    wyattjenniferl97 Posts: 12 Member
    I have both. Dry heat is great for my joints. Dry cold takes a couple of days to adjust to and is fine afterwards. Wet heat is not fun. I lurk inside when the humidity is high. Wet cold is very bad.

• Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    I have AS and on humira. I try to do my best to walk. Walking helps a lot. Yes cold weather makes it worse but honest try to move when you can!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I'd have to agree with everyone, cold = bad for the most part, wet cold is worse for me. I have had an L4/L5 lamenectomy for a bulging disc which cut off my sciatic nerves about 15 years ago, I also had surgery on my right knee about 10 years ago, as well as multiple bone breaks, etc. over the years. I also have degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis (more or less arthritis of the spine), and arthritis (not sure which kind) in my knees. Some mornings waking up is worse than others but there are a few things that have helped me.

1) Losing weight. Keeping it off. On my 3rd year of maintenance, and I no longer wake up in pain in the middle of the night.
    2) Osteo BiFlex (Glucosamine MSM), Generic versions are ok too. I take this daily, it helps.
    3) Fish Oil, also taken daily.
    4) Regular exercise. I walk, run, and do bodyweight training, plus free weights several times a week.
    5) Yoga. Doesn't burn a lot of calories but the stretches really help. I do them both on days I work out and on days I don't.
    6) Staying hydrated. I drink near a gallon of water a day.

Combine all those things and I do fairly well with it all. I live in the mid-united states, so not too far north and not too far south. Stays pretty hot here and winters are fairly dry most of the time, but have their moments (Ice mostly). On cold, rainy days is when I hurt the most, in any season. So yea, somewhere hot and dry would be best, but a lot can be done right where you are with a combination of those things above.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    I have fibro as well as osteoarthritis in my knees and lower back. Warm is fine for me, but humidity irritates my fibro, as do approaching storms (change in barometric pressure). Cold doesn't really bother me, but it is all relative, because I live in Central Alabama - what is considered "cold" here is considered mild in other places. I have found that since I changed my diet and started exercising, I feel much better. I still have to get cortisone shots in my knees and back at least twice a year, but I haven't had a serious fibro flare since I started eating better and lost some weight.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    I've got RA, it's particularly bad in my hands. I've also got widespread autoimmune related pain & inflammation plus a back injury from my youth that never healed properly. Add to that a defect in one leg from birth that caused withered muscles and pain. Heat helps, I've got electric blankets and heating pads year round.

I'm incredibly sedentary, even as a child I was never been able to run; even standing or walking any sort distance causes the leg pain to spike to unbearable levels. Diet changes have helped with the inflammation - apparently my body doesn't like any carbs from things like pasta, breads, fruits, potatoes, etc. I'm actually able to type without being in agony for the first time in ages.

I've found dry heat to be the best. A number of years ago I spent some time in West Texas and New Mexico and I felt pretty decent there. I'm currently in the central FL area and it's not too bad but the humidity is killer and the rainy season is long. The winters are mild which is nice.

As others have said stay hydrated. I've also found that hot tubs/spas and massage therapy every so often help me.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    I have PA. I live in Texas in a humid region. Cold weather causes the PA to worsen. Other than a bad hair day I've never had any issues related to the humidity.
  • doceo
    I'd have to agree with everyone, cold = bad for the most part, wet cold is worse for me. I have had an L4/L5 lamenectomy for a bulging disc which cut off my sciatic nerves about 15 years ago, I also had surgery on my right knee about 10 years ago, as well as multiple bone breaks, etc. over the years. I also have degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis (more or less arthritis of the spine), and arthritis (not sure which kind) in my knees. Some mornings waking up is worse than others but there are a few things that have helped me.

1) Losing weight. Keeping it off. On my 3rd year of maintenance, and I no longer wake up in pain in the middle of the night.
    2) Osteo BiFlex (Glucosamine MSM), Generic versions are ok too. I take this daily, it helps.
    3) Fish Oil, also taken daily.
    4) Regular exercise. I walk, run, and do bodyweight training, plus free weights several times a week.
    5) Yoga. Doesn't burn a lot of calories but the stretches really help. I do them both on days I work out and on days I don't.
    6) Staying hydrated. I drink near a gallon of water a day.

Combine all those things and I do fairly well with it all. I live in the mid-united states, so not too far north and not too far south. Stays pretty hot here and winters are fairly dry most of the time, but have their moments (Ice mostly). On cold, rainy days is when I hurt the most, in any season. So yea, somewhere hot and dry would be best, but a lot can be done right where you are with a combination of those things above.

Spliner 1969
    Thanks for such detail. I retired 2 years ago and decided to focus on me. I hired a personal trainer and I lost 15 lbs and wanted to lose 5 more. According to my trainer, anymore and it would be too much; I was excited to be tone and fit ... then I had issues with my back and couldn't work out anymore. I'm still unable to lift more than 5lbs, bend, or twist for 2 more mos. sigh.

I do take fish oil, but was told to go off it prior to my surgery until my return check-up; I hope it kicks back in quickly! I'll have to get osteo biflex.

• doceo
    I've got RA, it's particularly bad in my hands. I've also got widespread autoimmune related pain & inflammation plus a back injury from my youth that never healed properly. Add to that a defect in one leg from birth that caused withered muscles and pain. Heat helps, I've got electric blankets and heating pads year round.

I'm incredibly sedentary, even as a child I was never been able to run; even standing or walking any sort distance causes the leg pain to spike to unbearable levels. Diet changes have helped with the inflammation - apparently my body doesn't like any carbs from things like pasta, breads, fruits, potatoes, etc. I'm actually able to type without being in agony for the first time in ages.

I've found dry heat to be the best. A number of years ago I spent some time in West Texas and New Mexico and I felt pretty decent there. I'm currently in the central FL area and it's not too bad but the humidity is killer and the rainy season is long. The winters are mild which is nice.

As others have said stay hydrated. I've also found that hot tubs/spas and massage therapy every so often help me.

I seriously have to change my diet to less fried foods and more antinflammatory foods.

I'm looking for a cookbook that uses easy to find ingredients; too many have items I would never find locally.
  • doceo
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    I have PA. I live in Texas in a humid region. Cold weather causes the PA to worsen. Other than a bad hair day I've never had any issues related to the humidity.

What is PA? I know what RA is.
    Feeling a little stupid, but willing to learn.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    I was diagnosed with OA 2 years ago and recently having a bad flare up it seems I wake up every day with a different joint in pain. It is in my fingers at the moment. We have just had a change in weather and it is a lot cooler now so I think that is what kicked it off.

I take Co-Codamol for the pain and Ibuprofen for the inflammation this combo sees me through the bad days.

I used to lift heavy things up and down but had to quit when the OA kicked in. I gained a lot of weight in the following year but am shifting that again now. Hoping to get back to lifting soon.

I would love to live somewhere warm all year but I am in the UK so rain and chilly is our default.