Breast implants after mastectomy advice

Options
Hi all,

I'm looking for fitness and lifestyle advice for post-implant reconstruction following a mastectomy... I could not find any recent discussions on this topic when i searched, forgive me if there was and please link me to it.

I realize my dr's would be the most reliable and proper persons to ask, but I wanted to get a survivor's advice, or from someone who has had augmentation with an implant.

I was expected to have DIEP surgery but am now not a good candidate for it. I'm pretty freaked out about having a foreign body inside me. I had looked at the cancer as an alien-being that had to be removed, but now that I can no longer have a lumpectomy or DIEP, an implant is my option or prosthesis. The dr's keep saying that i'm too young (36yo) to not have reconstruction. And, I agree for my mental well-being.

I'm really scared of lymphedema, & people (lab techs and nurses) keep on scaring me with their patient horror stories.

I have about 2 weeks until surgery and plan on exercise but not overdoing it in the meantime. I've been pretty depressed and haven't done much in the past 2 months. I'll be lucky to maintain my weight until surgery, hoping for no gains or losses.

When can i expect realistically to return to yoga or running?

They, the dr's and nurses, have not said to stay away from the gym due to germs, but others have advised me to do this. I don't want to put my membership on hold, I'd like to keep going as I don't get out much or socialize/see people often.

Please friend me if you'd like, I can use support. I've been logging daily for 580 some-odd days and have lost 30# since joining MFP.

Hope this message makes sense to someone. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 thought you might like to chime in.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I’m sorry for what you went through. I’ll share my experience. I had my BA in February of this year. I had wanted to do this surgery since my early 20’s but was too scared to. So I I finally got boobs this year. My recovery was pretty easy. I was able to shower and wash my own hair after 48 hours. The first three weeks post OP you shouldn’t get your heart rate up bc that can cause hematoma. I was cleared for cardio after 3 weeks, and weights after 1 month. I went on a run at my four week mark & was fine. No issues. It did feel weird, I think I was able to feel the implant move? Idk, I’m still getting used to having them. I held off on weights for 3 months bc I didn’t want to start off with 7.5lbs and 10lbs dumbbells. I was used to going heavy and just waited a full three months til I was all healed up. I did lose definition from the break but got it back within three weeks of consistency. Good luck. Sending positive thoughts your way.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    jlscherme wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking for fitness and lifestyle advice for post-implant reconstruction following a mastectomy... I could not find any recent discussions on this topic when i searched, forgive me if there was and please link me to it.

I realize my dr's would be the most reliable and proper persons to ask, but I wanted to get a survivor's advice, or from someone who has had augmentation with an implant.

I was expected to have DIEP surgery but am now not a good candidate for it. I'm pretty freaked out about having a foreign body inside me. I had looked at the cancer as an alien-being that had to be removed, but now that I can no longer have a lumpectomy or DIEP, an implant is my option or prosthesis. The dr's keep saying that i'm too young (36yo) to not have reconstruction. And, I agree for my mental well-being.

I'm really scared of lymphedema, & people (lab techs and nurses) keep on scaring me with their patient horror stories.

I have about 2 weeks until surgery and plan on exercise but not overdoing it in the meantime. I've been pretty depressed and haven't done much in the past 2 months. I'll be lucky to maintain my weight until surgery, hoping for no gains or losses.

When can i expect realistically to return to yoga or running?

They, the dr's and nurses, have not said to stay away from the gym due to germs, but others have advised me to do this. I don't want to put my membership on hold, I'd like to keep going as I don't get out much or socialize/see people often.

Please friend me if you'd like, I can use support. I've been logging daily for 580 some-odd days and have lost 30# since joining MFP.

Hope this message makes sense to someone. Thanks in advance.

My best friend went through it a while ago. I can tell you some of the pros and some of the cons, as I have seen them, based on this very limited personal experience from supporting her through this. Both her mother and sister are also cancer survivors and have decided not to proceed with reconstruction.
    The obvious pro: looking "normal", which plays a huge role in mental well-being. And I understand it is a huge factor and I know that for my friend, it was something that she really hated, looking "different". Her sister has the opposite attitude, is proud of surviving and ok with her body now, so I think it all is very personal.
    The big con (I consider recovery I minor issue in the big picture): it is a foreign body. It might trigger negative and not only positive feelings, which I have seen with my friend too. It might pose limitations in what further diagnostic tests can be done (has already happened to my friend when there was a scare after a slightly abnormal blood test and some of the recommended tests could not be done after having implants).

Since you mentioned lymphedema, this is something both my friend and her relatives have experienced, but it was explained to them by the drs as a common side effect of the lymph nodes removal, regardless of reconstruction therapy, that happens eventually to about half the women who have undergone mastectomy. From what my friend has experienced so far, physical therapy is a must, heat (e.g. sun bathing) makes it worse, and there are some limitations in physical activities, that her physical therapist told her will be for life (e.g. lifting weights, even as part of normal life, like carrying heavy grocery bags, makes swelling worse in her case). She was also told that controlling her weight helps.
    Exercise is recommended in general after all procedures are finished. For example prior to her cancer adventure, my friend was a swimmer and she was strongly encouraged by her dr to resume training (she was competing, swimmign marathons). She had limitations initially while the expanders where used to get the breast to stretch to desired size and up until the second final surgery, and then a couple more months, until drains were removed, swelling disappeared etc. During this period (I think it was about half a year or so in total) she had regular physical therapy and her therapist had recommended pilates.
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thank you @AnnPT77 and @LKArgh for your thoughts and advice.

Yes, my plastic surgeon has said the risk for lymphedema is 10-20% which seems like a lot and wide range. But in the scheme of things ain't half bad. And the 1st thing out of the Resident's mouth was "bigger, smaller or the same?" Lol. I hadn't given it a thought until that moment.

It'll be a unilateral boob job with a lift to the other boobie for symmetry at some point later on.

And yes, lymph node removal, i was told 10-15 nodes. The dr said they'd have me up and moving as soon as possible after surgery. As of now, no radiation but I will need another round of chemo after.

I guess I needed to hear from someone who is an athlete or active that they haven't had restrictions to their activities post surgery. Thanks again @AnnPT77.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    My mother has gone through double mastectomy and reconstruction(same surgery), they were able to reconstruct using a flap from her abdomen. This all happened about a year ago. She had minor repairs done just weeks ago and is healing well once again. Her lymphedema is moderate on the side where over 30 axillary nodes were removed and that is common according to her doctor, with the extent of the surgery she had and had little to do with the reconstruction and more to do with the number of nodes removed. She wears a compression sleeve while at work now and occasionally at night to help reduce the swelling but her activity keeps it at bay for the most part. Radiation seemed to have made the lymphedema worse, but that is hard to know as it was a progression of events that she went through while healing from surgery. She remained extremely active being fairly young(53yo), and just found as long as she rested when tired but before she was very tired her healing was not hindered and she did not seem any higher risk for viruses.

Your medical team is obviously the best place to ask about return to activity times. In my moms case after double mastectomy with same surgery reconstruction(tummy tuck flap relocation style) her healing went like this: first week in hospital, could not hold down food and fighting severe migraine. Second week home, refused pain meds and started to feel better. Third week still had drains in place but out in garden and walking a mile at a time. Week four, last drain removed, still tired easily but walking and biking normally, back to yard work with rest.

After a minor flap and “dog ear” revision earlier this month: day one again with the inability to keep food down. Day two refused pain meds and back to walking. Day three, drove an hour each direction and shopped for four hours in between. Day four, canning garden produce and holding the heavy garden hose to water everything once again.

Different surgeries than you will be having, but you can read tons of both horror and fast healing stories online. Your docs are the best people to speak to. Plan to be sore, plan to put essentials in easy to reach places, I pray that you can be a quick healer!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    jlscherme wrote: »
    Thank you @AnnPT77 and @LKArgh for your thoughts and advice.

Yes, my plastic surgeon has said the risk for lymphedema is 10-20% which seems like a lot and wide range. But in the scheme of things ain't half bad. And the 1st thing out of the Resident's mouth was "bigger, smaller or the same?" Lol. I hadn't given it a thought until that moment.

It'll be a unilateral boob job with a lift to the other boobie for symmetry at some point later on.

And yes, lymph node removal, i was told 10-15 nodes. The dr said they'd have me up and moving as soon as possible after surgery. As of now, no radiation but I will need another round of chemo after.

I guess I needed to hear from someone who is an athlete or active that they haven't had restrictions to their activities post surgery. Thanks again @AnnPT77.

More later, for realz. I hate finger typing. Real keyboard at home, and I touch type: Brace yourself for wordy. ;););)

(They took 9 nodes, for me, BTW. I know of up to 15 in lymphedema-free athletic friends, post-radiation).