Question on what to do at the gym....

Options
Being a big guy, 6'5 400LBS and looking to lose 150 lbs to hit my goal target weight, I want to join a gym and do that with calorie counting. My question is I like to lift weights, and don't mind stair climbers, elliptical, etc. Not a big fan of a boring treadmill. Any suggestions for someone of my size to start with and focus more on? Cardio, weight lifting, both? Just trying to get a feel for what might be a good plan since I have so much to lose. Thanks.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy lifting weights and don't like the dread mill, go to the weights. But finding some form of cardio you can enjoy will help your goal. Even just walking around the neighborhood burns calories.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    If you are joining the gym then ask them if you can get a free counseling with a trainer. Just one trip could show you proper form on some weightlifting and maybe you'll find some cardio you enjoy. It is all about finding what you enjoy and sticking with it. No one wants to dread going to the gym. You are paying for it, you should like it. I'd ask the manger or whomever signs you up if you can get some free/reduced rate training for a session or two.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    mjc8080 wrote: »
    Being a big guy, 6'5 400LBS and looking to lose 150 lbs to hit my goal target weight, I want to join a gym and do that with calorie counting. My question is I like to lift weights, and don't mind stair climbers, elliptical, etc. Not a big fan of a boring treadmill. Any suggestions for someone of my size to start with and focus more on? Cardio, weight lifting, both? Just trying to get a feel for what might be a good plan since I have so much to lose. Thanks.

For the gym-> weight lifting (see the bodybuilding forum sticky posts for a list of some good programs to follow). (Most basic will call for getting in a few sets each of a 'leg' (typically alternating squats with deadlifts), a 'push' (bench press/overhead press), and a 'pull' (chin/pull ups/lat pull down/rows/..).

F* the treadmill. There are a lot of fun things you can do to get cardio in - so best to find something you enjoy as a hobby. (walking/hiking/running/cycling/rollerblading/dancing/climbing/skateboarding/futbol/tennis/skiing/snowshoeing/..)
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Strongfitmama100412 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Does the gym offer spin class. You will get hooked! I would spin 2-3 times a week and then weight training 3-4 times a week.

Most gyms offer free counseling with a trainer or have some deals going on.

• GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Does the gym offer spin class. You will get hooked!

No not necessarily. Not everyone will get hooked. I personally hate it. But I do think that if the original poster has an opportunity to try he may really like it.

OP: Try all the things that you can because it has to be something you enjoy. It's much easier to go if it does not feel like a chore.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest weights and some form of cardio. Elliptical or stairclimber are great, also walking outdoors if you enjoy that. Swimming or water aerobics is another great option. I started at 300 and went down to 160. You start where you are, do what you are able to, and keep progressing from there.
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Strongfitmama100412 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

No not necessarily. Not everyone will get hooked. I personally hate it. But I do think that if the original poster has an opportunity to try he may really like it.

OP: Try all the things that you can because it has to be something you enjoy. It's much easier to go if it does not feel like a chore.

Oh no. Sorry you hated it. I would try a different teacher. When I took it all the time there was one teacher that bored me to dealth. Every teacher is different. The way I teach and many others I know current good music to get you going and each song a different drill.
    Alot of men like it because its dark, not like a group fitness class that usually has mostly women.
    And yes its not for everyone but its good to find something you like doing. Then you make friends and they encourage you to go.
    I love lifting, spinning, sprinting, yoga and tabata training. I would hate to run miles or do a zumba class. So i look forward to working out each day.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I suggest weights and some form of cardio. Elliptical or stairclimber are great, also walking outdoors if you enjoy that. Swimming or water aerobics is another great option. I started at 300 and went down to 160. You start where you are, do what you are able to, and keep progressing from there.

I was going to suggest swimming as well, or some sort of water exercise. It's very forgiving on your joints and it provides the resistance. As you lose weight you will probably find many many more cardio exercises that you will enjoy. Definitely do weigh lifting as well. Good luck!
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Oh no. Sorry you hated it. I would try a different teacher. When I took it all the time there was one teacher that bored me to dealth. Every teacher is different. The way I teach and many others I know current good music to get you going and each song a different drill.
    Alot of men like it because its dark, not like a group fitness class that usually has mostly women.
    And yes its not for everyone but its good to find something you like doing. Then you make friends and they encourage you to go.
    I love lifting, spinning, sprinting, yoga and tabata training. I would hate to run miles or do a zumba class. So i look forward to working out each day.

You know my friends were shocked I hated it. Lol. I tried 3 times with 2 different instructors. (Both of which are apparently "amazing")

I like group fitness typically but this was just boring. I was sweating buckets but the enjoyment factor was so not there.
    I like bootcamp and CrossFit because I get to move around and it's different each day.

I hope the OP finds his thing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options

You know my friends were shocked I hated it. Lol. I tried 3 times with 2 different instructors. (Both of which are apparently "amazing")

I like group fitness typically but this was just boring. I was sweating buckets but the enjoyment factor was so not there.
    I like bootcamp and CrossFit because I get to move around and it's different each day.

I hope the OP finds his thing.

I lasted 10 minutes in the one and only spin class I tried. It wasn't the instructor. I don't like group exercise classes in general. Or cardio inside. Unless it's in a pool (but one that is saline-cleaned rather than chlorine cleaned, and fairly empty - must have my own lane.)

OP - I agree with the recommendations for walking outside or swimming. I don't care for ellipticals/treadmills myself, but if you do - go for it!

And lift weights.