Oh no 😭

Options
I'm a former college athlete who is trying to get back into top shape. I started about a month and a half ago after my vacation. I weighed in at 202 the most I've ever weighed. I started ordering meal prep from this guy drink green smoothies, drinking my water and I would start and end my day with apple cider vinegar, grapefruit juice and honey. My workout consisted of weightlifting, swimming, boxing, running. I took my before pics. I hate the scale first of all. But I would occasionally step on the scale and see that the scale would say I was only 2-3lbs down. I wasnt happy about that especially because I've been feeling great. I asked my friend who is a trainer and he told me to continue doing what I'm doing and to stay consistent because losing inches is much more important than what the scale says. Im cool with that. So I've took out boxing, added spin class, 2 mile run, boxing. Fast forward to the month of August. I went to Chicago a few weeks ago. This past weekend my college roommate came to town and it was literally nothing but eating and drinking. Now on the weekends I was still doing what I was supposed to do but I just started to hangout more. I stepped on the scale and wow, it says 206. So I decided to take a pic and forget what the scale says. Yes....it definitely looks like I picked up some weight. My stomach pokes out further now than before. Soooooo am I really a month and a half in and I have to start all over again because I decided to hangout some? WOW!

Replies

• dwills1507
    dwills1507 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    While you may have a little extra water weight going on right now from your weekend, the bottom line is that a month and a half ago you were 202 pounds and today you are 206. So what you've been doing isn't working.

In your post I don't see anything about calories or a calorie deficit. All the ACV in the world won't help you unless you are also in a calorie deficit.

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Explain calorie deficit in the most simple terms please?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Since MFP includes regular daily activity (the “sedentary,” “lightly active,” etc. setting) but not intentional exercise, you’ll want to log those boxing, lifting, swimming, etc.) and eat back a portion of those calories as well. You can log them by linking a fitness tracker (I link my Garmin) or by using the MFP exercise database. Just be aware, if you choose the latter, that many folks find it overestimates the calorie burn. For starters, many folks eat back about half of their exercise calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    dwills1507 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    While you may have a little extra water weight going on right now from your weekend, the bottom line is that a month and a half ago you were 202 pounds and today you are 206. So what you've been doing isn't working.

In your post I don't see anything about calories or a calorie deficit. All the ACV in the world won't help you unless you are also in a calorie deficit.

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Explain calorie deficit in the most simple terms please?

You create a calorie deficit when you eat fewer calories than you burn. Most people burn the majority of their daily calories just by being alive and moving around. If you exercise, you burn additional calories.

Say the amount of calories you need to maintain your weight is 2000 per day. In order to lose a pound a week, you need to create a daily calorie deficit of 500 calories. (500 calories x 7 days per week = 3500 calories = 1 pound.)

If you were to put in your stats into MFP and tell it you want to lose a pound a week, the number of calories it gives you to eat per day will be a 500 calorie deficit. You do this here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Since you didn't lose any weight, you weren't in a calorie deficit. Have you been tracking your food this past 6 weeks? If so, how were you measuring your food?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    It's all about the calories. Eat fewer than you burn, and you'll lose weight. You don't need smoothies, fancy prepped meals, or ACV.