Simple Steps

Options
GOSH Everyone - Thanks for the Love..... I love the feeling of feeling good.
So after many hours of research, I have learned... About 45 -60 grams of carbohydrate per meal, which adds up to 135 to 180 grams of carbohydrates per day. Ohh Man...How do I break these carb things up??? Where do I go from here? Thank God for Google. Meal Planning = Full Time Job the 1st two (2) weeks. Read Every Package of food, get out your measuring cup and scale if you have one, your gonna need it. Plate every meal 30% Carbs, 30% Fat and 40% Protein. Ok, I can do that.... Maybe...…Measure your servings. #1 Thing, Do Not Over Eat, Even Healthy Foods....

My 1st trip food shopping, I bought enough fresh fruits and veggies for a small village. Bad Move..... Fruits and Veggies go Bad Very Quickly if not consumed fast enough. So, throwing away food killed me..... then light bulb moment, homeless behind the Super Store were too Happy to have what could not be eaten.

Next trip, plan for three (3) days... Much Better, BUT... Impulse buying was my next hurdle. Sigh- This is Hard Work. SO back to the basics, Simple Steps. Plan the Meal, Buy the Meal, Cook the Meal.... Without spending Hours at the store. My Life Saving Moment was.... Food Delivery. For Free, from My Super Market. Thank The Lord. Sign up on line, choose your food, Check out, pick your delivery date and time... boom....food at my Door, when I want it!!!! Simple Steps.... No Impulse Buying.

More to Share another day.

D~

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That's not what I would call simple steps - sure you can't simplify? Focus on calories, not carbs, getting in all your calories but no more, every day, ditch the measuring cups, only use the scale. You don't have to plate eavery meal in any certain way, and that much protein seems excessive. No foods are healthy or unhealthy, it's over- or undereating over time that's unhealthy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    is there a reason for those macros? 40% protein is unnecessarily high, unless your calorie goal is very low?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options
    What I found far more simpler when starting to focus on macros was to plan my meals a week ahead, pre-log my days with those meals, adjusting portion sizes for my calorie intake and then tweak my sides/snacks to accommodate any variances to the macros I wanted to hit.

I have a shopping list on my food planner sheet and buy what I need from that.

Seems slightly simpler, have to agree with the previous posters too, 40% protein is quite excessive and that's coming from someone who sometimes gets as much as 170g Protein in over the course of a day.
  • turnthepagebookstore
    Options
    I don't know what Macros are? As a Diabetic, my Nutritionist did give me these %'s to go by. Now I need more research and call to the Nutritionist??? For me, she did say Protein should be high, to fill fuller and have more energy. Tinkerbellang83, how long have you been on your program?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't know what Macros are? As a Diabetic, my Nutritionist did give me these %'s to go by. Now I need more research and call to the Nutritionist??? For me, she did say Protein should be high, to fill fuller and have more energy. Tinkerbellang83, how long have you been on your program?

macros are protein, fat and carbs
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

Higher protein to feel full and have energy doesn't work for everyone. I feel fuller with more fat, and most people have more energy with higher carbs than protein.

Since you are diabetic, I can see spacing your carbs by meal/snack (otherwise I'd say that was also unnecessarily complicated).
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options

I am not on a program as such, I've just tweaked my macros to suit my satiety and fitness goals.

Are you seeing a nutritionist or a registered dietician, there can be a big difference in qualifications, depending on the country you're in (i.e. anyone with an online course done in a week or two can call themselves a nutritionist, but an RD must hold degree level qualifications).
  • turnthepagebookstore
    Options
    TY E1 - She is an RD.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    TY E1 - She is an RD.

Well that's something at least. Here's a helpful list for tweaking meals/snacks:
    q5g9yi1x7ij6.jpg