I gave up (again)

Options
After I finally saw a weight loss (3lbs.) I feared getting on the scale again because I felt very strongly that I would see my weight go back up again and I just couldn't take it. I stopped trying and slipped right back into my old routine which consists of, not eating enough calories, small high carb meals, not drinking enough water...I feel awful. All the trying isn't getting me thin but not trying is making me feel like crap. I think I will try again but I have no hope of actually getting to my goal.

Replies

• kjanoudi
    kjanoudi Posts: 18
    Options
    After I finally saw a weight loss (3lbs.) I feared getting on the scale again because I felt very strongly that I would see my weight go back up again and I just couldn't take it. I stopped trying and slipped right back into my old routine which consists of, not eating enough calories, small high carb meals, not drinking enough water...I feel awful. All the trying isn't getting me thin but not trying is making me feel like crap. I think I will try again but I have no hope of actually getting to my goal.

Keep at it, you saw some progress and have to trust it'll keep coming if you commit. You definitely don't want to starve yourself, that will not help with the weight loss at all and will only confuse your body.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    How about forgetting the scales altogether?

Start small, set your goal to, for example, eating regularly, or drinking a glass of water when you wake up. Small steps to start you on the way and build you up slowly.
  • Tams297
    Tams297 Posts: 15
    Options
    Sounds like a sefl-fulfilling prohesy to me. If you secretly think you have no hope of getting to your goal you are letting yourself off the hook and allowing yourself to not even try.

i don't know you but I KNOW YOU CAN REACH YOUR GOAL. every sucess story on here tells you you can. Sit and read through a few.

it's not about seeing the huge end goal and going for it and never ever failing. it's about breaking it into smaller goals - going down one clothing size, not eating after a certain time of day, making sure x amount of meals in the week are really healthy and contain a lot of fruit or veg - whatever works for you really. Who says you have to change everything all at once?

Bettter to do it bit by bit and tell yourself you are allowed to have an off day now and then BUT one day only and then get the heck back in there and start trying again. don't tell yourself you can't do it - cause that's exactly what you'll hear. i believe in you and i believe you can do it - so you'd better start telling yourself that my friend and eventually i bet you'll start believing it too and i'll be reading your sucess story on here someday.
  • Scoochie1
    Scoochie1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I found this website very helpful in identifying the 'wrong' foods and making me focus on portions. There are lots of tips and tricks - its sad that after your 3lb 'win' you didn't feel the motivation to keep going. I hope you find the self belief to stick with it if it is truely something you want to achieve.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    There's some greAt advice here - I really agree with the idea to set ourself goals that aren't scale related.
    Maybe commit to a healthy breakfast every day, or so many minutes of exercise, or no junky snacks - these are actions that you can DO, whereas watching the scale is just depressing!
    Good luck, don't give up.
  • hstallings13
    Options
    Sounds like a sefl-fulfilling prohesy to me. If you secretly think you have no hope of getting to your goal you are letting yourself off the hook and allowing yourself to not even try.

i don't know you but I KNOW YOU CAN REACH YOUR GOAL. every sucess story on here tells you you can. Sit and read through a few.

it's not about seeing the huge end goal and going for it and never ever failing. it's about breaking it into smaller goals - going down one clothing size, not eating after a certain time of day, making sure x amount of meals in the week are really healthy and contain a lot of fruit or veg - whatever works for you really. Who says you have to change everything all at once?

Bettter to do it bit by bit and tell yourself you are allowed to have an off day now and then BUT one day only and then get the heck back in there and start trying again. don't tell yourself you can't do it - cause that's exactly what you'll hear. i believe in you and i believe you can do it - so you'd better start telling yourself that my friend and eventually i bet you'll start believing it too and i'll be reading your sucess story on here someday.

This right here.....you have to know you can do it.
  • mpetit269
    Options
    Look, it's going to be hard at times and though you slipped, think of everyday as a new opportunity. Tomorrow is a new day and a fresh start to kill those bad habits and get back on that weight loss wagon. Don't let a few minor set backs stop you. Don't give up. You're health and happiness aren't worth a few carb-ilicious meals.:smile:
  • rdrgzgem
    Options
    Set smaller goals & focus more on how you feel than how you look or what the scale says. If you have children, keep in mind you are teaching them how to take care of their bodies too. Good blessings!
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with staying away from the scales for a while. I started my process back in January, but I didnt get on the scales until sometime in May. At the beginning I just focused on changing my habits, eating correctly, starting an exercise program etc. I knew I was feeling better for it, and losing weight because my clothes were too big, but I wasnt concerned with specific gains or losses each week. It certainly worked for me, and now that I am into my routine, I can do my weekly weigh in, and tailor things to suit what I need.
    Good luck to you.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    i like to think of this as a life style change rather than a diet. I do want to loose weight but its really about taking control of what I eat and of my body. It is fristrating at time but keep at it!
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    Believe in yourself. Obviously you CAN lose weight because you did lose the 3 pounds. If you have that much fear of the scale then stay off of it. I personally think how you look and how your clothes fit is more important than a random number on the scale that can fluctuate a few pounds any given day anyway. Come up with goals to fit into a different size clothes, or to workout 5 days a week, or to eat within 100 calories of your daily goal for 10 days straight or something like that. You CAN do it, but if you continue to believe you can't then you won't. Simple as that.
  • vinkariz
    vinkariz Posts: 17
    Options
    thank you for taking the time to respond...lot's of good advice. I think I will stay away from the scale for a while and set non scale goals