Advice needed

Hi.
I've a huge advocate of MFP, having lost 4 stone 4 years ago.
After gaining most if the weight back, I have embarked on the journey again. I started in arpil and have lost 2 stone....now weight around 10 stone. Despite being vigilant in counting and logging absolitely everything that I eat and drink I cannot get below 10 stone. I have joined a gym and do 3 sessions a week of both cardio and strength but my scales will not budge. I've been the same for over 6 weeks and getting really disheartened. I have a stone to go and can't see the finishing post.
Any ideas great fully received.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    have you had a diet break since you started losing weight?

have you amended your calories as you have lost weight?

i went 11 weeks of being the same weight... if you're consistent in your deficit then the scales will move eventually.
  • torabelle79
    torabelle79 Posts: 63 Member

i went 11 weeks of being the same weight... if you're consistent in your deficit then the scales will move eventually.

Thank you. I allow myself one cheat day a fortnight. I have stopped drinking anything but water. Still only having 1200 calories a day and if I go over, I make sure I go the gym to work the extra off.
    Have been told I may be building up muscle which weighs more, but can't see the difference yet.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited August 2018

Thank you. I allow myself one cheat day a fortnight. I have stopped drinking anything but water. Still only having 1200 calories a day and if I go over, I make sure I go the gym to work the extra off.
    Have been told I may be building up muscle which weighs more, but can't see the difference yet.

doubtful that you're building much muscle.

i would look at a diet break and then recalculate your calories.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Are you doing measurements in addition to tracking scale weight? Sometimes I lose inches without the scale moving much at all, but I can still see the progress in the measurements, so I don't get discouraged.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited August 2018
    That cheat meal, do you count the calories that accounts for? you could be wiping out your two weeks calorie deficit in one swipe.

How are you tracking those 1200 calories ? do you use a food scale? your scale hasn't budged in 6 weeks means you are not in calorie deficit overall, which means you are eating more than you think or burning less than you think.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member

It is so hard to build muscle in a deficit that we can probably discount that as a factor.

Are you logging that cheat meal? I could easily wipe out a weekly deficit with one cheat meal. (Not sure about two week's worth of deficits, though.)

How new is the exercise? My scale went up 7 pounds when I started weight lifting. Took a few weeks for that water weight to come off.

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • torabelle79
    torabelle79 Posts: 63 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

It is so hard to build muscle in a deficit that we can probably discount that as a factor.

Are you logging that cheat meal? I could easily wipe out a weekly deficit with one cheat meal. (Not sure about two week's worth of deficits, though.)

How new is the exercise? My scale went up 7 pounds when I started weight lifting. Took a few weeks for that water weight to come off.

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Thank you. My cheat day is usually a Chinese takeaway and half a bottle of wine, so would be calorific!!
    Am loving exercising having been a couch potato for years. Teo weeks ago I could only manage 5 minutes on the cross trainer. Last night I did 20 minutes and then a further 20 minutes on both a bike and a rowing machine.