Perspective

Options
2»

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    That's why a lot of people say maintenance is harder than losing the weight. It's easy to just have that little extra bit, and it adds up.

....I didn't have that issue, for better or for worse. I gained my weight back very quickly due to over-restriction (developed a nice little binge eating problem that I now cope with, but it hasn't been nearly as bad as it used to be).
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I really like this! I like it especially applied to the acceptance of inevitable weight gain as we age. Just expending 100 fewer calories a day by gradually becoming less active while eating the same number of calories will result in the 10 lb yearly gain. Being mindful of our NEAT and/or adding just 100 calories of intentional exercise to our day can prevent the weight creep - you really hit the nail on the head :)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    @mph323 Exactly! It doesn't take much to tip the scales one way or the other (literally).
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    THIS. <3<3<3 THANK YOU.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Great post OP :smile:
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Glad you bumped your own thread. Somehow missed this the first time round but today it has really spoken to me and helped put things into perspective. Thanks!
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Same here - thanks! Hope you’re “recovery” from the weekend is fast!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I think it's actually depressing that a single roll with dinner every day can have such an effect on one's weight over the years - a single lonely roll...like, c'mon! Who do I complain to? LOL

@TheFlyOnTheWall
    Well, think of the reverse. My best constantly asks how I keep the weight off and am still losing weight.

By doing the following:
    Skipping the bread roll with dinner
    Not scraping the sauce up from my meals
    Parking just a bit farther away
    Using a basket instead of a cart at the grocery store
    Leaving a spoonful of food on my plate: when I'm good, I'm good. No need to "clean off my plate"
    Leaving the 3 sad, burnt french fries on the plate.
    Skipping extra sauces, extra cheese, extra anything really (food wise).

Again, it's a bunch of little things that add up.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Glad it helps some of you as well :smile:

I, too, prefer to think of it in terms of the small positive changes that add up to good things, vs the small bad habits that add up to negative outcomes - but both points are perfectly valid.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    This thread was a huge eye-opener in terms of how easy it is to gain weight in ways you don't really think about. I have never been a huge food person. I was never driven by food (weird to say, I know). I was picky. I liked about 5 things (almost an exaggeration) in total. But it's easy to see exactly how all those calorie-laden drinks and extra large fries and sugary sodas added up. I might not have been a food-driven person, but without a clear education on how the body is fueled and how weight is gained or lost, I was lost. I wish I had learned in school what I learned when I finally reached my tipping point. Because then I would never have gained in the first place.

The "food pyramid" did nothing for me when I was out on my own. When I could get those giant frapps with extra whip because I could and I love coffee and college requires sleep sacrifice (because as a young adult, I had underdeveloped time management skills)! XD COFFEE IS LIFE. And in Dr. Pepper. SO MUCH DR. PEPPER. XD XD

Anyway, it's easy to see how small excesses can lead to weight gain over time. Knowledge is power, and I won't be making those choices ever again!