Coffee and a snack?

Options
After I finish my lunch, I like to finish with coffee and a snack. Lately I've been sliding back into the habit of a dessert type snack (cupcake, brownie, chocolate croissant etc.) since there is a great little bakery near my office. However, these 'snacks' have waaayyyy too many calories!

I'd appreciate any suggestions for healthy (50-200calorie, low added sugar) snack that go well with coffee and don't have to be baked by me.

Are there any fruits that pair well with coffee? Coffee and an apple or an orange is not working for me!

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    What about finding some packaged little baked items like granola bars, or those fiber one brownies, etc. only 90 calories. Or those little biscoff dunking biscuit thingies that they serve on airplanes lol.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Fiber One brownies or a couple of squares of dark chocolate. I personally like a banana or berries with coffee. Maybe grapes would work? I'm not sure. If you can moderate nuts, a weighed out portion of nuts goes well with coffee too, but can be just as many calories if you aren't careful.

It doesn't fit your low added sugar directive, but a couple of shortbread cookies or chocolate wafers would fit calorie wise.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Smart Cakes are 38 calories each and taste like little coffee cakes. (The cinnamon ones.)
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Maybe cookies but bring them from home so you can control the portion at work.
    You can also bake muffin for easily under 200 calories
  • Stellamom2018
    Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The fiber one brownies are awesome and 90 cals
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Graze has some nice things, also Kind bars. A measured portion of trail mix. A few dried apricots with a few nuts. A banana (with a little Hershey's syrup even). Chocolate covered strawberry. Measured portion of candy. Any of the 100 calorie packaged snacks.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I like to do a York Peppermint Patty with my afternoon coffee - around 100 cals I think.
  • Hyacinth_Hippo
    Hyacinth_Hippo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! I'll look for those fiber one brownies and smart cakes at the store! I'll have to see if I can resist the temptation to just eat them all while I'm at home lol.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I like rice krispie treats for a small, sweet snack. They aren't terrible in calories either. I think that would go well with coffee.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    thanks guys! I'll look for those fiber one brownies and smart cakes at the store! I'll have to see if I can resist the temptation to just eat them all while I'm at home lol.

Do you have a dedicated space at work? I leave my "work snacks" at work so I never have to exercise self-control with them at home.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Miniature candy bars are nice. Companies are coming out with a range of sizes that are sold in bags in the candy aisle in the grocery store. I just had a 40 calorie miniature Heath bar with my tea.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    "Whisps" parmasean cheese bites...... love them. <3
  • MyOtterSpace
    MyOtterSpace Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love York Peppermint Patties - frozen makes them take longer for me to indulge. I get the small ones - they pair nicely with coffee. The Belvita Orange Cranberry biscuits are nice as well - I like those with tea. I am also with Cheryl that I love Whisps (but not with coffee).
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned about your ability to stick to a controlled portion size, those 100 calorie packs are *great* for stuff like this. I've seen them for nuts, crackers, and cookies. I used them a lot when I was first starting out and struggled to stick to the portion size I knew would fit into my goals.

thats what i would do.

or make room in your calories for whatever snack it is you think you want
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options

Do you have a dedicated space at work? I leave my "work snacks" at work so I never have to exercise self-control with them at home.

I agree—leaving work snacks at work helps me avoid getting into them at home. Depending on what you like and where you work,, you can even order online and have some delivered to work—assuming you have a place to keep them. I’d recommend investing in glass containers with lids, though, to prevent attracting mice or insects. You could re-purpose jars from home. Depends on the size of the snacks, of course.
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I agree that work snacks should stay at work ... in a locked drawer. suggestions --

A two-cookie serving of Fig Newtons adds 110 calories and 2 g of fat
    Ghirardelli individual dark chocolate square -- 1 square is 50 cal and 4 g fat
    Jello sugar free chocolate pudding cup -- 1 cup is 60 cal and 1.5 g fat
    English muffin w/pnut butter -- 130 cal/1 g fat + pbtr, 1 T - 80 cal / 8 g fat
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Kay's naturals protein snacks...mocha, honey or cinnamon almond bites or the cinnamon toast pretzel sticks😀
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Do you have Alpen bars where you live? They have 70cals per bar. You can have two with your coffee.