Impossible to hit Protein without going over Fat

Options
I know this is all difficult, but I find it impossible to hit my protein goals without going over fat. If I stay under my fat I usually don’t have enough fiber . I’ve been barely reaching my caloric requirement while troubleshooting all of this. I’m female , 5’5 125 lbs. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    A couple questions - what is your fat goal? protein? & total calories ? OK 3 questions
  • dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have this trouble too. One thing that helps is protein bars from Costco. They have almost a days worth of fiber plus 21-22g protein for under 200 calories a piece.
  • Cascadae
    Cascadae Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Not all fats are bad in fact its important to function well and for body health
    Probably u r eating red meat and eggs

Try chicken breats and light tuna those are good alternatives

Try peanut butter, nuts, avocado for healthy fats
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I think of this starting with the calorie goal. Say you are shooting to eat 1100 kcals per day. At 125lbs, your minimum protein intake should be ~56g to 112 g per day. I don't like going too high on the protein when on a deficit because it just forces your body to metabolize it for fuel, which is inefficient and can affect performance. You can just go by how you feel.

Say you pick 60 g per day of protein. That will be 320 kcals, which is about 29%. The rest will come from carbs and fats. In my opinion, you can go heavy on the fats, such that up to 50% of your total calories come from fats, meaning that only 21% come from carbs. This is a good strategy if you don't do big cardio workouts.

You can get zero or low calorie fiber supplements, if you need them. I have found that just eating a serving of oatmeal plus an apple every day is enough for me.

If you do cardio (jogging, etc.), I think you should replace a high fraction of calories burned with carbs. This gives your body a good source of fuel for such workouts. It helps to keep a regular schedule, so you can eat more or less the same every day. It also helps to have a banana or something right before a hard cardio workout.

Your math is off. 60g of protein is 240 calories not 320. 80 grams would be 320.
  • jenlameo
    jenlameo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! i just NOW saw these replies, ( new to the Community section of this app). I have been able to find some low fat protein options. I think a lot of trial and error is a huge part of it. Sometimes I go way over my fiber. Usually getting my fiber in is no problem. I thought lean turkey breast was a good idea until my sodium skyrocketed. I try for low sodium tuna, etc. I think what I’m finding most difficult now is to reach my calories once my macros are hit. I’m left with almost 800 calories sometimes . This is hard!! haha
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    jenlameo wrote: »
    Thank you everyone! i just NOW saw these replies, ( new to the Community section of this app). I have been able to find some low fat protein options. I think a lot of trial and error is a huge part of it. Sometimes I go way over my fiber. Usually getting my fiber in is no problem. I thought lean turkey breast was a good idea until my sodium skyrocketed. I try for low sodium tuna, etc. I think what I’m finding most difficult now is to reach my calories once my macros are hit. I’m left with almost 800 calories sometimes . This is hard!! haha

You should be able to find low sodium turkey breast. Also, consider supplementing with whey. It is low carb and low fat. I add banana and sometimes peanut butter because sometimes i want more fats and I definitely want more carbs.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I think what I’m finding most difficult now is to reach my calories once my macros are hit. I’m left with almost 800 calories sometimes . This is hard!! haha
    What do you consider your macros? I know some people say "hit my macros" when referring to just protein or protein and fat.

If you hit all of the macros (carbs, protein, and fat), your calories should be very close (within 100 or so calories) to your goal. If they are 800 calories off then you need to double-check the accuracy of the database entries you are using.
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,911 Member
    Options
    protein powder or slimfast advanced nutrition (20 g protein) in almond milk.
  • KParrott1348
    KParrott1348 Posts: 14 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Beans! Quinoa! Lentils, split peas, tofu, tempeh, plant-based protein powders, edamame... Don’t add butter, oil, or cheese to anything. I’m vegan, and need to hit 140+ grams of protein per day, but my fat intake is around 20% of my calories. I never go over. And you’ll get tons of fiber that way. I usually get 50+ grams of fiber a day.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I know this is all difficult, but I find it impossible to hit my protein goals without going over fat. If I stay under my fat I usually don’t have enough fiber . I’ve been barely reaching my caloric requirement while troubleshooting all of this. I’m female , 5’5 125 lbs. Any suggestions?

Not impossible. Might be impossible with the food choices you are making. I hit 160-200g of protein a day on a regular basis and stay under or around my usual fat goal without any real effort. Just choose leaner meats or higher quality foods. Learn to try new things, like ground turkey, or more chicken in your diet. I also drink a protein isolate shake with my breakfast every morning that gives me a huge boost in protein.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Just choose sources of protein w/minimal fat content in it.

Chicken/turkey breast, pork loin and beef jerky are some natural food high protein/low fat choices.

However, whenever I'm low on protein, I just drink a bottle of a protein drink which contains 42g of protein with no fat and few carbs and/or eat a protein bar that has 20g protein and very little fat and few carbs.

Works to help me maintain my 1g/P/#BW/day goal.
  • TheMagicOneMikeD
    TheMagicOneMikeD Posts: 94 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I have the opposite situation... I hit my fats less than half the time.

Here's from a weightlifting day (two days ago) when I intend to eat a few extra calories.
    384b9bawo6id.png

Here's from yesterday, a non-weightlifting day.
    tvf6in4lhw8k.png

Maybe you just need to eat leaner meats. I'm all about boneless skinless chicken breast or tilapia... always grilled. I also use whey protein.

As far as the fiber goes, you can always supplement if you're not getting enough.
  • jenlameo
    jenlameo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! A lot of helpful strategies!
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    On hot summer days, I love eating enlightened or halo top ice cream.
    Today it is 92 out and my apartment has no AC, so I will be chowing down on the cold brew coffee "ice cream" which is 240 calories, 6g of fat, 24g of of protein, 20 grams of fiber

I also make yogurt bowls for lunch with fage nonfat greek yogurt with pumpkin seeds and pumpkin spread, which is about 283 calories, with 5g of fat, 44g of protein, sovery low in fat, which is why I happily eat tablespoons of almond butter and/or peanut butter otherwise I would never come close to the recommended amount.