What activity tracker are you using with MFP?

Options
Mine, a mifit doesn’t link up. Don’t want to make the same mistake again. Grateful for any help

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Will yours link to Google Health, Samsung Health or Apple Health? If so the work around would be to have your device send activity to one of the above apps and link that app to MFP.

Other trackers that will work with MFP are:

Fitbit
    Garmin
    Misfit
  • johnnyou78
    johnnyou78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to invest in a new heart rate monitor, any suggestions? I'm currently using the polar ft7 which doesn't sync with mfp
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I use Apple Watch. Like all of them you have to remember it's a tool and not an infallible oracle. I love it, though.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    None. I have the Garmin Fenix 5X. But I do not sync it. I'd rather use the more conservative MFP swim Cal number. And I don't want my "step" calories counted.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    johnnyou78 wrote: »
    I'm looking to invest in a new heart rate monitor, any suggestions? I'm currently using the polar ft7 which doesn't sync with mfp

What sort of activities are you involved in? If you do many sports of even just swimming, it is worth it to get something rugged like the Garmin Fenix series.
    I swim primarily. Only Garmin can survive the abuse I give it in the pool, particularly when I swim in China.
    The phone maker watches tend to have glass dome faces that would shatter under my use.
    Plus the Garmin display is big enough that I can read it without my glasses on. I'll never by another "just a watch" or Just an HRM again.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    +1 for Garmin devices.

I have an older 920xt. The device captures chest strap HR monitor inputs, bike power meter inputs, etc, and syncs to MFP and my training peaks account automatically. It may be more than you want, but it does everything needed. Battery life with the GPS on continuously is just about 12-13 hours. Battery charge lasts for days during normal activities.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    None, I think linking trackers with MFP makes things harder than they need to be. IMO, the benefit just isn't there.
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin forerunner 235, it is excellent. Before that I had a Fitbit charge HR which was also very good, I kbly upgraded due to wanting better watch for running. Would recommend both
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    None, I think linking trackers with MFP makes things harder than they need to be. IMO, the benefit just isn't there.

Can I ask why that is? I find linking my Garmin very useful as I do a lot of running and need the extra calories. Am I missing something?
  • dhemp11
    dhemp11 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Mine, a mifit doesn’t link up. Don’t want to make the same mistake again. Grateful for any help

Garmin Forerunner 235
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    What activity tracker are you using with MFP?

I enter my information manually.

But I use Strava to track some of my activity.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I wear a misfit ray to track general activity levels.

When I'm doing Cardio I use a TICKR Run HRM which syncs with Strava. Strava then syncs with this app.

I've also got an old Garmin Forerunner 310XT I only really use for mud runs and OCR races but again that syncs with Strava and then with this.

AS someone said earlier if your kit doesn't sync directly with this site you can often do it via another App.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

Can I ask why that is? I find linking my Garmin very useful as I do a lot of running and need the extra calories. Am I missing something?

To be clear, I have no issues using a device to sync workouts. IMO, that's not the same as a tracker that is linked with MFP to sync steps/general activity.

For me personally, MFP works just fine all by itself. Linking a step/activity counter that I don't always use just complicates a process that doesn't need to be complicated. MFP knows my numbers, I log my workouts... it just works. I don't feel the need to get bogged down questioning accuracy or whatever else. I just do what MFP tells me to do.

Bigger picture...
    Far too often people don't understand what the numbers and adjustments mean, so linking an activity tracker just causes more problems. Not to mention the frequent sync issues.
  • tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,568 Member
    Options
    Garmin 35 and a Garmin chest strap. Just upgraded from a Garmin vivoactive, which I really Like as well!
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options

To be clear, I have no issues using a device to sync workouts. IMO, that's not the same as a tracker that is linked with MFP to sync steps/general activity.

For me personally, MFP works just fine all by itself. Linking a step/activity counter that I don't always use just complicates a process that doesn't need to be complicated. MFP knows my numbers, I log my workouts... it just works. I don't feel the need to get bogged down questioning accuracy or whatever else. I just do what MFP tells me to do.

Bigger picture...
    Far too often people don't understand what the numbers and adjustments mean, so linking an activity tracker just causes more problems. Not to mention the frequent sync issues.

Disregarding the sync issues that are real and Annoying, this is very different from my experience. I ended up losing a whole pound per week faster than I wanted without steps adjustment. I find using one uncomplicates the process. Now mine is lost, going without is making more guesswork for me.
  • duncan04
    duncan04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Garmin fan here. Went from Vivofits to Vivoactive HR and now wearing the latest Vivoactive 3 and loving it! Heart rate tracker-waterproof-al the fitness activities and it’s a really attractive device. This one is by far my favorite.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    duncan04 wrote: »
    Garmin fan here. Went from Vivofits to Vivoactive HR and now wearing the latest Vivoactive 3 and loving it! Heart rate tracker-waterproof-al the fitness activities and it’s a really attractive device. This one is by far my favorite.

Do you find it durable? I was interested in that one but it looked fragile haha.