I quit artificial sweeteners!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    eimaj5575 wrote: »
    Ok so I quit consuming artificial sweeteners 6 days ago. I had some pretty bad headaches but they seem to have passed now. Today I have felt different! I am eating my normal food but feeling so full and for so long today even being about to cut out normal snacks today. Is this from stopping artificial sweetners or just a fluke day?

Maybe, maybe not. There has been some research done about artificial sweeteners and food reward pathways if you're interested in a read:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(16)30296-0?_returnURL=https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S1550413116302960?showall=true
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    bobbimrn wrote: »
    I don’t think I was clear, I only meant weight loss may not be a reason to use them. What I was really trying to say is how bad fake sweeteners are for you. A lot of “scientific studies” are funded by big food companies. What you don’t hear as often are the health problems they cause. Not scientific, but a personal observation; is that every time I have a patient who insists on Diet Pepsi (excluding diabetics) or mentions they drink it every day are the always the sickest with multiple problems .....DM, MS, bladder cancer, kidney cancer, etc. and it’s the same diseases over & over.

you also cant say that diet pepsi caused that. what if you werent told that they drink diet pepsi yet had it? would you link one thing to another? like I said I drink diet drinks every day and have had NO issues the last several years since Ive drank them. anyone can get those types of cancers even those who do not drink diet sodas or ingest artificial sweeteners. many can be caused by other factors including being hereditary.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Genetics has a lot more to do with cancer than any lifestyle choices, unless one chooses to do something ridiculous like sunbathing in a uranium bath.

...while smoking
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I don’t think I was clear, I only meant weight loss may not be a reason to use them. What I was really trying to say is how bad fake sweeteners are for you. A lot of “scientific studies” are funded by big food companies. What you don’t hear as often are the health problems they cause. Not scientific, but a personal observation; is that every time I have a patient who insists on Diet Pepsi (excluding diabetics) or mentions they drink it every day are the always the sickest with multiple problems .....DM, MS, bladder cancer, kidney cancer, etc. and it’s the same diseases over & over.

Correlation is not causation. Maybe you just see a lot of sick people in your job. And maybe a lot of people drink diet drinks. I don't really know what your job is.

Observing.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

repeating this doesn't make it any more true. why are you assuming it is the diet pepsi that caused their problems? probably lots of things they all do (i.e. drink water? watch television? own pets?) - as others said, correlation is not the same as causation.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    We all came to MFP to improve our health and the forums are for discussions. Everyone has made some excellent points and yes I could absolutely be wrong as these are Only my observations. Although I’m still not convinced our bodies know what to do with all these modern “foods”. I greatly admire all that medicine can do, but over time I’ve come to see what it can not do and have chosen augment with “Let Food be thy Medicine “. to help the body heal itself. Anyway, I seem to have accidentally high-jacked this thread, I’m just glad feels Elmaj5575 feels better.

“In Defense of Food”
    “The Blue Zones Solution”
    “ The China Study”
    “Eat to Live”
    “Crazy Sexy Diet”

If you're interested in discussing this you could always start a thread about it in the Debate forum. You might want to skim some of the threads in there to get an idea of how they roll, but that's always an option!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I clicked "Woo" and I didn't mean "woo-hoo".

Why did you quit them? Sugary drinks are bad for your teeth and no drinks is just sadness...

I know you didn't really mean that life is sad without diet soda, but that's how your words come across so I have to say that I don't find life without either kind of soda the least bit sad.

Studies have shown that for some people, artificial sweetener increases their appetite, so for these people, cutting that out can help them lose weight.
    Your Opinion, ksharma.... op... you do you..... though, I think the research does not back up what you are saying. We all have our own way of doing things.

Yes, it is my opinion that life is not sad without soda and if the person I quoted had said her life would be sad without soda I would have left it go unchallenged, but she made it a blanket statement "no drinks is just sadness".
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I so wish I could quit them just because drinking this much diet Pepsi isn't healthy for my gut. Its the acidity I'm worried about. I'm 3-4L a day type guy and that's just way too much. Sucks because I hate coffee but love caffeine!