Best bang for your buck on meats

Options
Borrayo1287
Borrayo1287 Posts: 6 Member
edited August 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Some help on a good way to save money. Buying bulk meats? Where and what are some good protien sources that are more cost effective. Thanks

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,984 Member
    Options
    I can get uncut pork loin slabs for $2/# and chicken breasts for 99 cents/#. Both are excellent high protein/low fat meat sources.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Chicken thighs! Considerably less expensive than chicken breasts and still high protein. A lot of people think they taste better too.

If you know how to take apart a bird, you can buy a whole chicken/turkey and de-bone it yourself.

If you are local to farms, you can see if a local farm has a butcher on site who will sell you the meat at a wholesale cost.

When you do buy in bulk, freeze what you don't use and de frost when you're ready to eat it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Chicken breasts, skirt steak and canned tuna are some of my favorites - all relatively inexpensive. Tilapia is another economical alternative, if you can stand the taste/texture (I can't).
  • nancyvinci92
    nancyvinci92 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'd go with chicken breasts and fish- tasty and ++ protein
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Not just what, but how. Be open to fattier cuts, portion and freeze, and don't throw anything away.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Chicken thighs! Considerably less expensive than chicken breasts and still high protein. A lot of people think they taste better too.

If you know how to take apart a bird, you can buy a whole chicken/turkey and de-bone it yourself.

If you are local to farms, you can see if a local farm has a butcher on site who will sell you the meat at a wholesale cost.

When you do buy in bulk, freeze what you don't use and de frost when you're ready to eat it.

In Australia, it is the other way around and thighs are more expensive than the breast!
  • mrslynda
    mrslynda Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Cbean08 wrote: »

In Australia, it is the other way around and thighs are more expensive than the breast!

True. I was blaming to chefs, they've cause lamb shanks to go up as well..... But my husband said it's to do with filleting. It's one cut to get breast of a bone, and two cuts and more skill to fillet a thigh. He worked in a chicken processing factory at one point.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Some of my staples are
    Turkey and beef mince, I usually buy
    In bulk, separate into the portion size and freeze
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    my weekly meat purchases are determined by what is on sale when i shop around - i've previously bought in bulk and frozen (through like sam's club) - but in the long run is discovered i preferred my meat a bit fresher (although I tended to forget about stuff in the freezer)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Buy on sale.
    I just bought turkey breasts on sale for $.99/lb.
    High protein, low calorie and a lot of portions for one breast.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Some of my staples are
    Turkey and beef mince, I usually buy
    In bulk, separate into the portion size and freeze

I buy in bulk, cook in bulk, and freeze a few meals so I don't have to cook as much.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Bone in chicken thighs or leg quarters with skin or whole chicken are cheaper than boneless skinless chicken breasts
    Fattier ground beef is cheaper than the lower fat ground beef
    Sometimes ground turkey is cheaper than ground beef.
    Canned tuna is pretty cheap
    Eggs
    Beans, lentils, peas, edamame can be extremely cheap compared to meat.
    Tofu
    Milk
    Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt

Check what is on sale each week. The store I shop at periodically has different meats or yogurt on sale.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I buy meat from sams club, portion it out and put in the freezer.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
  • daltontf
    daltontf Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Costco and Sam's have already cooked rotisseries chickens for $5 here (St. Louis MO).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    daltontf wrote: »
    Costco and Sam's have already cooked rotisseries chickens for $5 here (St. Louis MO).

That's not exactly cheap, though. They are usually less than two pounds. The ones they use here are 1.5 lb birds. Much cheaper to buy and roast a whole chicken.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    My daughter gets off work at 8 AM and heads to our local limited-choice grocery store, as they put out the meats first thing that must sell that day for 1/2 price! (I just freeze what I'm not going to cook that day.) Whole chicken, chicken thights, and leg quarters are almost always a good buy, even at full price. Beef is just too expensive for me anytime, plus I don't eat it anyways, per my doctor's advice. Ground turkey is great for anything you might use ground beef for, and has the added benefit that it doesn't cook down as much as beef. Tuna is also very versatile.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    So this is not really advice if your budget is extremely tight, but more if you have the luxury of spending more at once and saving over time.

I don't eat much meat, but my husband does and we've found the best thing was to invest in a chest freezer and wait for sales. Whenever a meat he likes goes on special, we buy at least $100 worth, portion it into freezer bags, and freeze (using first-in, first-out when we take meat out to avoid waste with freezer burn.) My parents swear by their vacuum sealer for this reason too, but we never have anything get freezer burnt because we're pretty militant about rotating.

We buy him ground beef and turkey, boneless chicken thighs, occasional whole chickens, and I've been known to clear the store out of sirloin, t-bone, or strip cuts of steak if they go on clearance. I'll buy as much as they have if it's on a deep discount. Same with fish - he pretty much sticks to wild-caught salmon, which is pretty pricey in our landlocked area, so whenever there's a special on filets with a nearing expiry, I buy tons and freeze them.

It requires a little pre-planning since I have to keep track of what we have stored and what's running out, but I hardly ever buy him regular priced meat anymore since I have a stockpile. We are fairly frugal people in general but we like to eat well and varied, so groceries are a big expense with us and I do make a bit of an effort with expensive stuff like meat (and cheese) to buy it on sale. We do most of our shopping at Costco, so we're already getting a bit of a bulk discount compared to other grocery stores where we live, and we compound it by buying large amounts at discounted prices.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Buy on sale. Also, some stores have quantity discounts. My local store, for example, sells ground beef cheaper by the tube (10 lb.). That is how they get it, I think.

Beef I can usually get steaks or roasts at $3 per lb. and ground beef at $2.50 per lb. Sometimes at less, such as a sale this week for $1.88/lb. ground beef (but a limit of 4 lb.).

Pork and chicken are much cheaper, but that may vary by region. I can get pork cuts like bacon ends and pieces or other cutlets in boxes of 5 lb. for $8-$12. And usually can get fresh cuts of pork at $1-$2 per lb. on sale.

Chicken is often even less. Hind quarters are usually cheapest and sometimes 29 cents per lb.

If you have a freezer, use sales throughout the year. Turkey and ham sales at Nov and Dec., fish around lent (I get frozen pollock cheap then), pork and beef around grilling holidays - Memorial day, Independence day, Labor day.

Lastly, if you have equipment, time, land access, and knowledge; you can hunt or fish. Be careful because locker fees can be expensive. This really only works for big game if you skin and bone it yourself. I am hoping to get my garage clean enough this year to be willing to do that myself (for deer). Of course, squirrel and rabbit (and fish); I just take care of in my kitchen after leaving certain parts in the field anyway.

Ok, one more... may or may not be worth it. Depends on various factors: Buy an animal or part of an animal and butchering fees. I bought 1/4 cow recently and butcher fees, and it was cheaper than higher end steaks, but not cheaper than hamburger and cheap cuts. It was a good deal for the cuts I got, but not if I was looking to save money and buy mostly hamburger.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    It's Labor Day weekend right now in the US, which often mean big sales on meats for grilling & picnics. Most major US holidays are accompanied by sales on the meats expected to be consumed (e.g., Thanksgiving - turkey; Easter -ham; Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor day - steaks, burgers/ground beef, chicken; etc.)