Best Compound Workouts to do on Vacation

Options
I'm going to the mountains for a few days, and I know I'll be doing a lot of hiking and be carrying weight on my back. But, I feel like I could go to the hotel gym and do extra lifting. They won't have barbells and will only have dumbbells, what would be some good full body compound workouts to do with them or is hiking with a heavy backpack good enough?

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    The same exercises you do with a barbell but with the dumbbells. Perhaps they won't have the size to match the weight, but for how long will you be away? A week or two shouldn't make that much of a difference overall.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Snatches which would be good if their weights aren't that large. Would do cardio and strength. You can always do pushups, pullups, 1 legged squats, and loaded carries.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    BlackPantherChick123 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'll b gone for 5 days, and should I use the same weight as I use for barbells? (Stupid question, or as much as I can handle for each hand?)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When I go somewhere and use the hotel gym for a work out I do the following (always with dumbbells, have never been to a hotel gym with barbells:

- bench
    - one arm rows
    - either bulgarian split squats or goblet squats
    - RDLs

As far as what weight to use, experiment a bit. You generally won't be able to just divide your barbell weight in half and use that. You'll usually have to go a bit lighter. Pick a light set of dumbbells for your first warm up set and then do a few other quick warm up sets, going up in weight, and you'll figure out a good weight.
  • pondee629
    Options
    I'll b gone for 5 days, and should I use the same weight as I use for barbells? (Stupid question, or as much as I can handle for each hand?)

Why wouldn't you (half the weight in each hand) if they have dumbbells in the proper weight? A benefit would be pointing out any imbalances that may have developed but hidden by using both hands in concert.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

Why wouldn't you (half the weight in each hand) if they have dumbbells in the proper weight? A benefit would be pointing out any imbalances that may have developed but hidden by using both hands in concert.

Usually db bench is lower than barbell bench because of having to balance each db separately. I believe that db bench is usually said to be something like 70-80% of barbell bench.
  • pondee629
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    pondee629 wrote: »

Usually db bench is lower than barbell bench because of having to balance each db separately. I believe that db bench is usually said to be something like 70-80% of barbell bench.

Good to know. Thanks
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I would deload for a week or rest for a week and just be active on your trip, then get back to the gym after vacation and you'll prob be stronger