Knee pain when squatting

Options
I have recently got to 45kg squat on SL 5x5 and noticed a pain right in the middle of my knee cap. Any ideas what this could be and how to ease it?

I am 79.5kg and have a height of 5'1 could I perhaps be putting to much strain on my knees (pain only in the left knee? Perhaps I need to lower body weight before upping squat again.

Thanks

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Could be "knee slide" dropping into the hole. Also might be you are not at parallel and stressing the knees more.

If it is KS, set your knees forward and out over toes in the first third of the decent and keep them there.

Losing body weight isn't the fix by itself more than likely. I would focus on finding a stance that allows you to squat comfortably and continue progressing with your squat.

• LJay89
    LJay89 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks both - I will look into that
  • RicoFit14
    RicoFit14 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're squatting to at least parallel, minimum requirement. Look for knee cave. I certainly would suggest a decent pair of knee sleeves.

If you have Instagram. Check out Squat University. Tons of amazing helpful advice. Pretty much all you knee to know about squatting in one place.
  • LJay89
    LJay89 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    RicoFit14 wrote: »
    Make sure you're squatting to at least parallel, minimum requirement. Look for knee cave. I certainly would suggest a decent pair of knee sleeves.

If you have Instagram. Check out Squat University. Tons of amazing helpful advice. Pretty much all you knee to know about squatting in one place.

Brilliant thank you