Don’t believe the scales?

Options
Does anyone else get a good result at a weigh-in and immediately start wondering if the number is true? I’ve lost 10 pounds this month and feel quite proud of myself. After I weigh myself, I feel anxiety that the number is probably wrong, that it probably isn’t weight loss and next week when I weigh myself, the weight will have returned, etc.

Even as I type it, it seems kind of silly. I do realise that the number on the scales isn’t the full story and I only weigh myself once a week. I just wondered if anyone else experiences this.

Replies

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    RicoFit14 wrote: »
    As I have a hobby that requires me to bulk up then cut back down (up to 30lbs) to make weight. I completely understand not trusting the scale. It's happened to me where one scale said one thing, then the scale that counted said something else.

The way I deal with scale issues, I weigh every day. Same time of day, wearing the same thing. Most would say not to do that. But I find it helps me get a more accurate average of what I'll weigh on a daily basis.

Also, take measurements. Super important. I'll loose 2.5 inches on my waist and the scale not move an ounce. So like you said, scale isn't everything.

I weigh myself the same way. 2nd thing every morning, first thing is bladder relief. I wear the same thing to weigh myself every time. It's the only way to get consistency. I don't have hobbies or activities that require me to make weight, I just like to see the most accurate data possible.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    There seems to be something about weight loss and crediting our own success.

There are posts on this board all the time- I only lost X. But lost = success. And then there are attempts to explain away losses as water weight.

Don’t see any need to weigh daily if you don’t want to. It’s a bad idea for a lot of people. But if you’re using the same scale and the same conditions, you’re going to have to face the facts- you’re program is working.

Sometimes I think our brains hate weight loss. Keep a lookout for other ways your mind is trying to mess with you. The mind plays a lot of tricks.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I used to have a little nagging doubt that the numbers might be wrong, but my numbers fluctuated because I was being weighed on different scales in different rooms at the doctors. At home I took five readings in five different locations in the house so I could average the numbers out for a more accurate reading.

I don't weigh myself often, maybe once a month if that, because I don't want to get into a mindset of seeing small weight loss as not enough or no weight loss at all, which can be what leads people to feeling like they've failed completely. And since weight can fluctuate from week to week, using the scales weekly might set me off thinking I'm gaining fat when I've just got water retention or something.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I get like that too, but more with my food scale rather than my body scale. I'll sometimes think that even though I accurately weighed out 14 grams of cheese, that the scale is messing up and it's actually like 20 grams or something, and I'm eating up my deficit in cheese. I might change the batteries just to make sure...
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I was in the 190s for so long that no matter what the scale says my brain says “19...”, even when that means anxiety induced dyslexia. This morning I read “196”. Then I laughed at myself and realized I hadn’t magically regained all the weight, it actually said “169” :#B)
  • sarahlucindac
    sarahlucindac Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Almost every time I step on the scale, I expect it to lie to me!
    38 lbs later, I still sometimes question if it’s real. Like one day I’ll step on it and see that somehow 38 lbs was just water weight 😂