Hospital Weight Management program

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I think anyone who has yo-yo'd 100 pounds several times in five years has something that isn't getting resolved.

What that something is? Could be a lot of things. I lost my weight and have kept it off. I also quit smoking and drinking alcohol without any support groups or therapy but I know that isn't the way everyone succeeds.

This site was perfect for my weight loss. I do much better without advice from people or so-called professionals in my life to coach me, but I am amenable to reading forum posts and learning from them. That's what I did with my weight loss and with quitting alcohol. Read read read. Everything I could find. Books, websites, forums.

People talking at me overwhelms me, but if I can read about it I'm golden.

I say keep trying everything until something sticks. @earlnabby, maybe it's the fish oil. :wink:

LOL. Maybe that’s it!!!
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    That sounds a lot like the Duke University Program. Like any program, you have to be motivated and be committed to making a life style change. If you do the program and return to your old eating habits, you'll gain the weight back.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone can be helpful unless they have undergone the exact program (same location and staff) you are considering. Any medical program is only going to be as good as the people running it. The quality of healthcare professionals can vary greatly.

It really isn't for me to say what is good or bad on someone else's journey if it isn't unhealthy and doesn't appear to be a total sham.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Haven’t gone through one but I’ve worked at facilities that had programs like this. Ime quality and results varied wildly based on how engaging and knowledgeable the facilitators are. If this is something your pcp is recommending and you trust them and the hospital has a good reputation it might be a good idea if it sounds appealing to you.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    No personal insights, OP, but just wanted to say my heart goes out to you for keeping at it. It's hard for me to imagine losing 100 pounds *several times*. You obviously have the knowledge, perseverance and mental toughness to do this. I wish you nothing but the very best to discover that missing piece that has led to regain.

Can you ask for references for this specific program? Despite HIPPA, there may be people willing to talk about their experience. If they're a reference, they probably have positive things to say, but maybe you can get a sense of whether what worked for them would be of value to you or not.

Either way, best to you and press on!

I asked and yes, because of HIPAA they couldn't give me any names.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    No personal insights, OP, but just wanted to say my heart goes out to you for keeping at it. It's hard for me to imagine losing 100 pounds *several times*. You obviously have the knowledge, perseverance and mental toughness to do this. I wish you nothing but the very best to discover that missing piece that has led to regain.

Can you ask for references for this specific program? Despite HIPPA, there may be people willing to talk about their experience. If they're a reference, they probably have positive things to say, but maybe you can get a sense of whether what worked for them would be of value to you or not.

I don't think it's a good idea to press on in this case, but to take a step back. Knowing how to lose weight is not the same as knowing how to maintain healthy weight. Perserverance is a hindrance if it's in the form of an attitude that prevents somebody from opening up for new strategies.

What makes you think that the program wouldn't also incorporate strategies for maintenance? It sounds like a comprehensive program that will teach new (maybe new) strategies for diet as well as coping. At worst, it would be full of the bunk woo that we hear about here all the time. In which case, OP has been around long enough to know that it's bunk. Or maybe it will just reinforce things she already knows.

earlnabby wrote: »

I don't think it's a good idea to press on in this case, but to take a step back. Knowing how to lose weight is not the same as knowing how to maintain healthy weight. Perserverance is a hindrance if it's in the form of an attitude that prevents somebody from opening up for new strategies.

What on earth are you talking about, and how does this relate to a question about a comprehensive guided weight loss program (especially since you are so against learning new strategies)?

I personally don't have any experience with something like this, but I don't have any sense of "run away" that I get with a lot of the crap that's out there right now. Have you talked to the provider about cost and your insurance about coverage?

I have and it is not covered by insurance. One good thing is that it includes a free membership to the same fitness center I used to go to for my water aerobics and lap swimming along with sessions with a personal trainer/physical therapist (depending on needs and ability). I love the pools there and the water exercise instructors

I remember your love of the water. Is there a similar program nearby, so you can compare prices and programs? I'm guessing that a program like that isn't cheap, but if it makes the difference for you, it's worth considering.