Looking for chickpea recipies

Options

Replies

• psycopurpleterri
    psycopurpleterri Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Found this "Chickpea of the Sea" mock tuna salad recipe on Pinterest a couple of years ago. LOL at the name, but I love it.

https://www.thekitchn.com/vegetarian-lunch-chickpea-of-t-114022

zimb32iu6d6d.png

I’m allergic to fish so unfortunately I won’t be able to try this 😭😭😭
  • psycopurpleterri
    psycopurpleterri Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    divcara wrote: »
    Chickpea cookies :)

1 cup canned chickpeas, well-rinsed and patted dry with a paper towel
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/2 cup natural peanut butter or almond butter
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    ½ cup chocolate chips (I used 1 serving of lily's no sugar chocolate chips)
    - I added in 1 tbsp of vanilla protein and thought that gave it nice sweet flavor, but you don't have to. Or you could add in honey or (I like sugar free) maple syrup. Or agave.

Preheat your oven to 350°F / 175°C. Combine all the ingredients, except for the chocolate chips, in a food processor and process until very smooth. Make sure to scrape the sides and the top to get the little chunks of chickpeas and process again until they're combined.
    Stir in the chocolate chips.
    With wet hands, form into 1½" balls. Place onto a sprayed cookie sheet or a piece of parchment paper sprayed with coconut oil cooking spray.
    Bake for about 10 minutes. The dough balls will still be very soft when you take them out of the oven.

Ooh a different option, I never thought they could be used for cookies (also appreciate you put it in Fahrenheit and Celsius 👍)
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

There is no fish in it... or am I missing the joke?

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »

There is no fish in it... or am I missing the joke?

Or the OP is? :D
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I make a salad with cooked chickpeas and cucumber. The original recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of vinegar, 1 tablespoon of orange juice, a pinch of ground black pepper, a pinch of garlic granules and a pinch of powdered ginger per person (100g of chickpeas). I usually reduce the amount of oil to lower the calories, plus the idea is to prepare in advance and soak in the oil etc mixture but you don't really eat all the oil. I've made it up to a day ahead and it's best nice and cold

Hmmm sounds interesting, I do like cucumber and chickpeas, would you eat as a snack or lunch?

I usually either use it as the side dish/salad/veg part of a substantial meal or have it on its own or with some nice crusty bread (depending on calories available) for a light meal
  • DoubleUbea
    edited August 2018
    Options
    That Chickpea of the Sea recipe intrigued me, so I had to try it. I took a small amount of chickpeas and mixed it will some Hellman's and it wasn't too bad. Then I made a larger batch with some fat free Greek yogurt instead of mayo, added my own spices and enjoyed it. I ate it out of the bowl, no bread.
    I have fish allergies so I don't eat tuna but I do eat the canned chicken now and again. I don't think it is a replacement for a tuna/chicken sandwich but it was decent.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's green curry: https://www.traderjoes.com/recipes/appetizers-sides/green-curry-chickpeas
    You can also sub the Thai sauce for the TJ's Indian masala simmer sauce, or add reduced cal lite coconut milk to either and play around w/ flavors.
  • mjrc2
    mjrc2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    That Chickpea of the Sea recipe intrigued me, so I had to try it. I took a small amount of chickpeas and mixed it will some Hellman's and it wasn't too bad. Then I made a larger batch with some fat free Greek yogurt instead of mayo, added my own spices and enjoyed it. I ate it out of the bowl, no bread.
    I have fish allergies so I don't eat tuna but I do eat the canned chicken now and again. I don't think it is a replacement for a tuna/chicken sandwich but it was decent.

I think the umeboshi vinegar or ume plum vinegar is key to the Chickpea of the Sea recipe. I looked it up and it is made from a lacto-fermented type of plum, and is supposed to give a salty/sour flavor. It is now on my list of things I want. I have found that other cultures do wonderful things with food! I have been experimenting with tamarind concentrate, and am waiting for an order of miso paste-two things that are unheard of up here in hick-ville!
  • SelenaMariaStewart
    SelenaMariaStewart Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Chickpea Noodle soup.

2 cans chickpeas
    12 cups veg broth
    3 celery stalks, chopped
    3 large carrots, cut into thin rounds
    1 white or yellow onion, diced
    2 tbsp olive oil
    Small bunch of fresh parsley to taste
    1tbsp dried thyme
    Black pepper to taste
    Salt to taste (if broth is salt free!)
    3 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and diced
    2 cups noodles of choice (less if you want it more soupy)

Add oil to large stock pot and heat. Add celery, onion, and carrots. Sauté until softened. Add garlic, sauce 2 minutes more or until fragrant. Add broth, thyme, black pepper, and salt. Cook on medium high for 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Add noodles of choice and cook until tender (package directions). When soft, add parsley and chickpeas. Cook until desired texture reached. (For me about 10-15 minutes.) FYI, this makes A LOT. Great for leftovers for when you are lazy!

My whole family loves this!
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I used to make the chickpea "tuna" sandwiches, and also add chickpeas to bean/veggie chili (use 3 kinds of beans - one of them chickpeas.) Also a quick "chana masala" cheat is to just sautee onions, add jarred curry paste to taste (like Pataks), canned tomatoes and chickpeas - and simmer until ready.

Sadly I developed a nasty chickpea allergy and can no longer eat them - but I do love chickpeas.
  • Skeleton_Keys
    Skeleton_Keys Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I use a different mock tuna recipe that uses nutritional yeast and kelp, and that seems pretty near the actual tuna salad taste. But I digress, I wanted to share this eggless cookie dough recipe with -you guessed it- chickpeas. :)
    https://pin.it/j2vhrqdnuhp6de
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I make this regularly, and it is delicious. Fresh basil and feta are two of my favorite things. https://cookieandkate.com/2018/marinated-chickpeas-recipe/
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    A MFP friend shared this recipe with me, and it has become a favorite! Goes great with grilled chicken or shrimp!

https://www.budgetbytes.com/spinach-and-chickpea-rice-pilaf/
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!!!!!
  • DoubleUbea
    Options
    @psycopurpleterri Where have you been?
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I made this salad last week and it was seriously good!

Roast carrot and potato diced and a can of chickpeas. Drizzle a bit of oil, dried herbs like italian mix, oregano, basil, etc... 425 for for about 45-50 minutes
    Serve on top of kale and brown rice.
    Make a super easy pesto with all the basil you can find, a bit of oil, water, garlic, salt and pepper.

It's soooo tasty!
  • anon567
    anon567 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend trying this recipe - absolutely delicious

https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/healthy-sesame-orange-ginger-chickpea-stir-fry/

There is also a chickpea flour banana bread I made but you want the "pea" form of chickpeas I'm sure.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you are still looking for chickpea recipes, this Moroccan Chickpea Stew is amazing! I make it on a regular basis, and sometimes add chicken breast and chicken stock instead of vegetable stock. Either way it is superb.
    https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/moroccan-chickpea-stew
  • csykes1976
    csykes1976 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    https://cleanfoodcrush.com/clean-eating-greek-chickpea-salad/

I made this the other night, and it was sooo good!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    This is very easy, there is no reason to even count anything, it works without any need for accuracy, and you can easily adapt to your taste:
    Rinse dry chickpeas, let them soak overnight, boil in salted water for about an hour, under tender but not falling apart. Transfer to an oven proof dish, add tomato sauce or tomato paste and water (whichever you have/prefer), and make sure there is enough liquid to just cover the peas. Add a pinch of sugar and pepper and whatever other herbs and spices you like. In my experience, bay leaves work well, also red pepper, maybe a bit of cinammon, but I have also experimented with oreganon, marjoram, thyme and all were nice. Cover with a lid, or just tin foil if the dish does not have a lid, and cook at low to medium heat for at least an hour. If you want them softer, add more liquid and bake longer, if you like them to still hold their shape one hour is enough. The last 10 minutes or so, remove lid/foil and increase the heat to high.
    If you do not want a vegetarian meal, before baking you can mix in slices of sausage, or bacon, or even browned pieces of pork.
    Also depending on your taste preferences, you can mix in a finely chopped onion and/or a few pressed garlic cloves, sliced carrots and/or a couple of leeks.