Throwing away my scales for a better life

Options
Good morning, community friends!

Today I decided to hibernate my scales for a while.

I have a training plan, I've learned everything there is to learn about my body and how I can keep it healthy... Now I need to focus on my brain.

I am tired of waking up and wandering over to the bathroom scales and wincing at an apparent gain, only to go to my PT and get my measurements that say that my body has stayed the same or even lost some fat!

If I saw a high number, I couldn't look at myself as anything other than that number.

Now it's time to look at myself as the strong, healthy person I have become physically and mentally.

It's going to be tough... but I am ready!

Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Great awakening! There are so many people who focus their entire well being on a number, graphs and trends according to their "number" !
    Good for you for working it another more sane way which benefits you!!! <3
  • CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am strength training and consistently avg 1200 daily so I have decided not to buy a scale for my new home. I feel my body changing I don’t need to get obsessed and frustrated with the scale again. I’m going to weigh myself in December. Gives me something to work toward. Around that time, I should be at my goal weight but even if the scale doesn’t say what I want, I’ll have had 4 months I sculpting muscle either way!
  • Mom2ATM
    Mom2ATM Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I too have packed my scale and tape measure away for a while! I tend to give up when I don't see a lost or see a gain. Haven't touched either in a week so far. Keep with it, I know it'll pay off to stick with this app!
  • gafia14
    gafia14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I found weighing myself more once a month became counterproductive. I was still connecting food to feelings so If I’d lost I’d celebrate with extra treats, if I’d not lost I’d cheer myself up with extra treats. 😁
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    It is tricky.. because I can gain a lot of weight and still fit into my clothes. I'd rather know if I'm going up over 5 pounds. However.. I go for periods of time without weighing. I don't agree with the obsession of counting calories and weighing and graphing your life. Food is just an aspect of life. .there is so much more.
  • MrsRachaelFisk1
    MrsRachaelFisk1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    gafia14 wrote: »
    I found weighing myself more once a month became counterproductive. I was still connecting food to feelings so If I’d lost I’d celebrate with extra treats, if I’d not lost I’d cheer myself up with extra treats. 😁

This happened to me all the time! Although sometimes loss meant treats, and gain also meant treats! Haha!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Good for you! At one point when I was losing weight I started lifting heavier weights. I lost 2 dress sizes but only about 4 pounds on the scale. Very frustrating, but I could see good things were happening.

It was then I decided to shift my focus to losing fat/inches and improving my fitness and it worked very well for me.

I'm maintaining now, but I step on the scale once in a while to make sure that I'm still in my maintenance range.

Good luck!
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    One day I hope to reach that stage :( I weigh around 69kg so I know I still have another 11-12 kg left. My period fluctuations get in the way as well. Maybe I should ditch the scale and use it once a month?
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Monday, using an ordinary electronic scale. But then I go every three months to a non profit organisation where I not only get weight in one of those electronic scales that tells you the percentage of fat, muscle, etc. but measures as well. I know Fitibt and other brands sell those, but I would rather not have one at home, I would rather go there every three months, have a chat with a doctor about my progress and give a donation for the great work they do. That works for me, but each to their own.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I am strength training and consistently avg 1200 daily so I have decided not to buy a scale for my new home. I feel my body changing I don’t need to get obsessed and frustrated with the scale again. I’m going to weigh myself in December. Gives me something to work toward. Around that time, I should be at my goal weight but even if the scale doesn’t say what I want, I’ll have had 4 months I sculpting muscle either way!

I love this! But you're gonna need more than 1200 calories a day for strength training... otherwise your body will go into starvation. You wont sculpt muscle unless you feed it!

xxx

there is no such thing as starvation mode...but you won't build muscle in a deficit
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    @MrsRachealFisk1 appears to have left the room???
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    nice.

when my old digital scales died I replaced with a set of analogue scales because a) no batteries and b) I am not interested in obsessing over fractions. A rough ball park figure will work for me.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    @MrsRachealFisk1 appears to have left the room???

Either that or she drug out her scale and went into a dark solitude :D
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great perspectives on both sides!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!