That skin thing.

Options
So, I'm 30. Still young, but not as young as I should have been when I started this journey - but the past is in the past. As I start to lose, even with arm exercises and training, that flabby skin just hangs everywhere. How long did those of you with similar problems have to deal with it? What worked best to get that to snap back and tone up? NOT surgical, please!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    So, I'm 30. Still young, but not as young as I should have been when I started this journey - but the past is in the past. As I start to lose, even with arm exercises and training, that flabby skin just hangs everywhere. How long did those of you with similar problems have to deal with it? What worked best to get that to snap back and tone up? NOT surgical, please!

Time. Up to two years after you are done with weight loss.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Yeah, time.

It took about two years after the weight loss for me...and I'm twice your age.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yeah, time.

So you lost the loose skin at an older age? Did you do anything special? That's encouraging!
  • Nospingirl
    Nospingirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am going to try cryotherapy. It is a process of using cold wraps. It takes about two months to notice the change, tightens flabby skin and gets rid of cellulite.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Nospingirl wrote: »
    I am going to try cryotherapy. It is a process of using cold wraps. It takes about two months to notice the change, tightens flabby skin and gets rid of cellulite.

Third to last paragraph...

https://skeptoid.com/blog/2014/11/30/cryotherapy-what-works-and-what-doesnt/

qgp4byqgodbz.jpg
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Also, it's important to realize that the in-between stage is often the worst. True loose skin is very thin. Loose skin with fat still pulling it down (thanks to gravity) looks far worse than loose skin without much underlying fat to it.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    andielyn wrote: »
    Yeah, time.

So you lost the loose skin at an older age? Did you do anything special? That's encouraging!

I lost 80 pounds after age 55. And it was pretty awful at first; however I didn't carry weight in my arms, it was all in my middle. My back looked like I had melted for the first year. I swim and walk mostly for exercise.

It looks good enough now that I can wear anything I like without feeling self conscious. But to be fair, in my mid sixties I'm not wearing bikinis ever or strapless ball gowns all that often. Or tube tops. :wink: But I do wear spaghetti straps and tight tank tops/tees and one piece bathing suits all the time.

I didn't do anything in particular. I think a lot of it is genetic or maybe a past athletic background. I don't know.

Thank you! I was fit and thin up until about 10 years ago. I hope I have the same result as you, although I gained all over.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Yeah, time.

I lost 80 pounds after age 55. And it was pretty awful at first; however I didn't carry weight in my arms, it was all in my middle. My back looked like I had melted for the first year. I swim and walk mostly for exercise.

It looks good enough now that I can wear anything I like without feeling self conscious. But to be fair, in my mid sixties I'm not wearing bikinis ever or strapless ball gowns all that often. Or tube tops. :wink: But I do wear spaghetti straps and tight tank tops/tees and one piece bathing suits all the time.

I didn't do anything in particular. I think a lot of it is genetic or maybe a past athletic background. I don't know.

Thank you! I was fit and thin up until about 10 years ago. I hope I have the same result as you, although I gained all over.

Yeah, that was me too. I gained a bunch of weight in my mid-forties, but hadn't been overweight for the rest of my life. I don't know if that means anything.

Just know that it is worth it, even if there is some loose skin or whatever the after-effects may be. It's worth it times ten thousand to get the weight off.