Why do some people don’t eat much carbs when losing weight?

Options

Replies

• FireVixen_Fayth
    FireVixen_Fayth Posts: 154 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I do it because of my keto diet. But I was also told it was a good idea by my nutritionist.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    COGypsy wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Because it's a huge fad right now (along with intermittent fasting) and people mistakenly believe that weight loss is faster on a low-carb diet. Which has repeatedly been scientifically disproved.

Low carb/keto has been around for over 80 years. It is not a fad. It has science behind it and is useful in treating epilepsy. People need to know the facts before making judgements.

Yes it has been around since the 1920's to treat seizure disorders. Eating according to the keto diet to lose weight IS a fad because it is new-ish (last 10 years or so), it is not what the diet was designed to do, and people are jumping on the bandwagon without really understanding it.

I swear Atkins has been around a lot more then 10 years.

I remember my father putting us on the Atkins and South Beach diets when I was in high school. I can confirm that was definitely more than 10 years ago.

And that's all I'm going to say about that. B)

My first (and last) Keto diet was in 1995. Of course, it also involved phen-Fen, 500 cals a day and $50 a week to the diet doctor.

Those were the days!

The good old days when aggressive dieting caused you to lose weight from your body *and* your pocketbook.

(If only the pocketbook gained it back as quickly and certainly.)
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call my diet low-carb. Probably lower carb than the traditional US diet at 30-40% carbs. I have a hard limit, imposed by my Diabetes coach/dietitian of 40% or 203g carbs/day.

But I'm not about to tell you that my weight loss was due to lower carbs. My weight loss was due to eating under 2250 calories most days and burning 2500-3000+ depending on the day.

If you do that over the course of 6 months, you will lose weight if you are eating kale or pork rinds.

I've had a bit of both.

Heck, I even had a Denny's grand slam this AM for Brunch. But it was part of a plan. Because, due to a Dr visit and potential blood draw, I hadn't eaten anything in the previous 15 hours. So I could consume 1/2 my daily calories in one sitting without much danger.

I won't eat again until after 7pm tonight, other than a small snack (banana) before I return to the gym this evening.

Low Carb/High Fat may be more satisfying, helping people eat less. But it's just a tool, not the work. The work is done by consuming fewer calories than you burn.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Because they hate them??? Lol I really love mine!
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    We need carbs, but many people might be eating more than they need. So when they reduce them it will likely result in some weight loss, because they're taking in less calories from carbs than they previously were. Reducing carbs is beneficial for diabetes related issues, but for normal weight management in non-diabetics it's not a must, although some people do feel reducing carbs makes them more energetic or 'clearer' mentally.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    We need carbs, but many people might be eating more than they need. So when they reduce them it will likely result in some weight loss, because they're taking in less calories from carbs than they previously were. Reducing carbs is beneficial for diabetes related issues, but for normal weight management in non-diabetics it's not a must, although some people do feel reducing carbs makes them more energetic or 'clearer' mentally.

Technically, we do not need carbs - the body can make all the glucose that it needs from protein and fat.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    Options
    Because it's a huge fad right now (along with intermittent fasting) and people mistakenly believe that weight loss is faster on a low-carb diet. Which has repeatedly been scientifically disproved.

Low carb/keto has been around for over 80 years. It is not a fad. It has science behind it and is useful in treating epilepsy. People need to know the facts before making judgements.

Yes it has been around since the 1920's to treat seizure disorders. Eating according to the keto diet to lose weight IS a fad because it is new-ish (last 10 years or so), it is not what the diet was designed to do, and people are jumping on the bandwagon without really understanding it.

I remember my father putting us on the Atkins and South Beach diets when I was in high school. I can confirm that was definitely more than 10 years ago.

My first (and last) Keto diet was in 1995. Of course, it also involved phen-Fen, 500 cals a day and $50 a week to the diet doctor.

Those were the days!

Ah, Phen-Fen, a real magic bullet!

Shame about that pesky heart valve thing...
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Those were the days!

Ah, Phen-Fen, a real magic bullet!

Shame about that pesky heart valve thing...

Yeah, luckily I didn’t take much of the Fen because it was expensive. I think I only did it for about 2 months - it was because my younger sister was getting married that I went to such an extreme. Of course, after I hit my low weight (which is my current goal weight), I weighed that for exactly 1 day before starting to gain again.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Technically, we do not need carbs - the body can make all the glucose that it needs from protein and fat.

You may be right. Bill Tilden won Wimbledon and he only ate steak and ice cream, apparently. He did die young, mind you. But the body needs fibre, too, and that comes from complex carbohydrates. Plus a carb free diet wouldn't be very interesting, unless you were Bill Tilden, or a hyena or something.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

I'd say technically you MAY not need carbs, depending on what you do.

I know that if I'm on a hours long bike ride, if I don't refuel with some carbs during the ride, I'm going to bonk at some point and not perform as well. If I need a burst of energy to sprint or climb a hill, and I've depleted my glycogen stores, I'm not able to provide that energy. The anaerobic metabolic mechanism depends on glycogen (IIRC) when it cannot get enough oxygen to create the ATP needed by the muscles during the effort.

So if you lift to your maximums, or sprint, or climb, or any short term efforts that require you to use those anaerobic pathways, if you are short of glycogen, you will not be able to perform.

A fueling strategy that replenishes those stores by consuming say 100-300 calories in carbs/hour is usually sufficient to keep glycogen in place when needed.

So I'm not sure I'd say no one needs carbs. There are circumstances where you cannot manufacture glycogen fast enough or because available oxygen is being used for other purposes in the body at the moment.

There are several keto based ultramarathoners. What you say is true initially but the body can adapt to ketogenesis. In fact, being keto adapted can be a viable strategy for sports like endurance running exactly because it doesn't rely on glycogen stores so there is no bonking - as long as the body has any fat stores it can keep fueling. On the other hand, it appears to be a disadvantage for sports which require quick bursts of energy, because ketogenesis is slower.