Simple trick that took an embarrassingly long time for you to figure out...

Options

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I started off on another app and forum which had been hijacked by 'Dr' Fung (He is a Nephrologist with a practice helping obese diabetic patients in Ontario, Canada, so YES.... DR.) followers. Although deep down I knew much of what was being said was woo .....
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to figure out that moving throughout the day burns calories and it doesn't even feel like work. I used to do 30 minutes of exercise and agonize at the possibility that to get the calories I want I may at some point have to increase that to two or three hours. 30 minutes of exercise plus my day to day steps amounted to about 5k steps before introducing more movement. Started incorporating small walks here and there around the house while waiting for stuff, on the phone, taking the longest route, extra laundry trips, became the designated garbage person...etc and my steps jumped up to 7-10k without any exercise, so 10-15K on exercise days.That's about 90 minutes worth of extra walking every day that I don't even feel like I'm doing.

EXACTLY. All of this.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    vnb_208 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I missed this one the first time around.

It took me to forever to figure out that in the app I just needed to turn my phone sideways to see the macro breakdown for the foods in my diary, including a total by meal :lol:

YOU CHANGED SO MANY LIVES!!!

It's like MFP's best kept secret :laugh:
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    That maintenance calories are the total of your calories consumed during recent loss days (like 30 or 60 days) plus 3500 for each pound lost divided by # days. Why did I think it was more complicated????
  • squeaker87
    squeaker87 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Put bowl on scale. Tare. Add ingredient until desired weight is reached. Tare. Repeat.

I don't wanna talk about how long it took me to start doing this. And I have a Ph.D.

You just changed my life
  • bjess8411
    bjess8411 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    I don't need to kill myself working out. I just need to a little bit less than my body needs each day and maybe move a little bit more (this more due to the rampant cardiovascular problems rampant in the family than for weightloss)

I've lost 35kg following that and have maintained that loss for the past year (trying to get into the mindset to lose those last 10-15kg :wink: )

If only I had known it's that embarrassingly easy 20 years ago...

I actually like working out hard and for long periods of time.
  • bobbimrn
    bobbimrn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Crafty_camper123Crafty_camper123 Member
    August 28, 2018 11:44AM edited 11:57AM
    “I finally figured out the recipe importer.(Mobile) Have you tried copy/pasting a recipe website to it, for it to tell you the recipe won't parse ingredients? Instead of entering everything in manually, try this first.”

OMG thank you! Saves so much time!
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    vnb_208 wrote: »
    I missed this one the first time around.

It took me to forever to figure out that in the app I just needed to turn my phone sideways to see the macro breakdown for the foods in my diary, including a total by meal :lol:

YOU CHANGED SO MANY LIVES!!!

It's like MFP's best kept secret :laugh:

That's crazy.... Been here for a while and had no clue.
  • theknitpicker
    theknitpicker Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Eelkov wrote: »
    Fat doesnt turn into energy... it turns into carbon dioxide.....
    I put my hand up on this one too. I actually looked it up on Google. Seriously, I have no idea, before that point, that fat is converted into CO2. And I did university-level chemistry too....

Hahaha same. And as soon as I realised it, and if I felt like I was having a really off-plan day, I would try EXTRA hard to breathe out really enthusiastically :D
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You can't fix overeating with exercise!! Losing or maintaining is 90% food, 10% exercise.
  • DefinitelyDoingThis
    DefinitelyDoingThis Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Day 2 and I thank you for this thread and this great community. Anyone else tried intermittently fasting and light exercise for initial goals? Any tips would be great.💕💕
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Day 2 and I thank you for this thread and this great community. Anyone else tried intermittently fasting and light exercise for initial goals? Any tips would be great.💕💕

You'll get better answers by either searching the forums or starting your own thread.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Bulk weighing. I would weigh out every type of lettuce individually in my salads (most have exactly the same calorie densities).

Doing crazy math to figure out how much I'm eating. I used to weigh my bowl, pour cereal in weigh again, subtract for bowl then do some division and multiplication of fractions to figure out how much I'm eating. Now: bowl on scale, tare. Pour cereal in until 29g (1 serving), log!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Not weight change related:

Tucking my jeans into my socks so my jeans don't ride up under my boots and try to escape.

• anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I would say knowing I CAN eat what I want, it is simply a matter of watching the amount I eat. For the longest time, I thought losing weight meant eating food I did not like and just toughing through it. Praise da lordt that is not the case, because I am a major foodie. :D