So much food at work!

Options
During meetings this week there were bowls of mini-candy bars, bowls of jelly beans, three kinds of popcorn, individual bags of chips, and maple bars. The candy bars, jelly beans, and popcorn were all on the table right in front of us during the meeting.

I wish people didn't do that.

I didn't eat any of it but boy did it look yummy.

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Well if I was in an environment where there was always food available, I would just plan for it. I usually pack my lunch and an afternoon snack. I would just pack a little less for lunch and no snack, and then eat a couple things they had available (if I wanted, sometimes I would prefer to eat my own food)
  • corysmithsmail
    corysmithsmail Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My job does the same. If they can find a way to have a party, however small that reason they will. And party=potluck. We've had 5 full fledged parties and 3 smaller cake only parties in the past few months. It's like a catch 22, don't go and people think you're anti-social or go and torture/exercise your self control skills.

• 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    ejg1010 wrote: »
    Someone once commented in response to a similar thread that the way they deal with this situation is to not eat anything that they haven't brought into work themselves. I thought that was really useful for someone who really has to abstain and is an all or nothing kind of person. That way you can still treat yourself, but on your own terms and to something that you've chosen yourself rather than just because it's there and it looks tasty.

If you're disciplined enough to limit yourself, include it in your daily allowance and then just walk away, then all the better!

I also think the approach of only eating treats that you REALLY like is a good approach. Don't waste your calories on something 'meh'!

I like this. Next week I'll plan and bring in something I love that fits in my plan.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    7elizamae wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    7elizamae wrote: »
    During meetings this week there were bowls of mini-candy bars, bowls of jelly beans, three kinds of popcorn, individual bags of chips, and maple bars. The candy bars, jelly beans, and popcorn were all on the table right in front of us during the meeting.

I wish people didn't do that.

I didn't eat any of it but boy did it look yummy.

What do you care what ppl bring in and do? You do you.

Well, my point was that it was very tempting. It's not that I care what "they" do, it's the need to ignore treats that they placed right in front of me within arms reach during six hours of meetings.

Temptations are a part of life...

Personally, I would have just picked a couple of my favorites and enjoyed...or conversely, I often bring my own snacks to these kinds of things.
  • nataliecg926
    nataliecg926 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    As I'm reading this, someone just came in with a box of Timbits and offered them to me :D , I took one of course lol
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,795 Member
    Options
    My work has gone to the open work space type office. I honestly don't mind the treats on a spread type thing and rarely indulge.

But.... What drives me crazy is the guy who brings in fried chicken around 2 or 3 pm every day, and the the guy across from me who eats at strange hours and is a VERY noisy slurpy eater. I can go walk away from the noisy guy but the wafting smell of the chicken is difficult to get away from.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    My work has gone to the open work space type office. I honestly don't mind the treats on a spread type thing and rarely indulge.

But.... What drives me crazy is the guy who brings in fried chicken around 2 or 3 pm every day, and the the guy across from me who eats at strange hours and is a VERY noisy slurpy eater. I can go walk away from the noisy guy but the wafting smell of the chicken is difficult to get away from.

You don't have a break room or kitchen?? At my old job it was an open space type of environment and they had a rule where you could only eat in the break room. I hated the rule at first but came to like it. Coworkers are annoying enough as is without having to hear them chew and slurp etc.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    After years of being around co-workers who didn't bring in stuff and brought their lunches from home, I'm now around a group that brings in treats and wants to go out 3-4 times a week for lunch. Looking back, nobody in the former group had a weight issue. In the current group, its more like 50% (granted both sample sizes of about 10).

You just need to do you (as was suggested earlier) and decide what group you want to be in.