Having hard time eating calorie intake

Options
2»

Replies

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I had 32 grams of peanut butter last night for dessert because I was short on calories and fats. There's always something you can do.

I supplemented today with some Walker's shortbread cookies. Easy way to get 200 calories!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Definitely do things like using higher fat versions of the foods you're already eating.

A couple of ideas based on food you mentioned you eat:

Coffee (add whole or 2% milk if you like it)
    Oats (add milk and/or nuts and/or a banana)
    Eggs (eat 2 instead of 1 or scramble/fry the egg--I fry 2-3 eggs in 1/2 T [7 grams] of coconut oil every morning and it's plenty enough to prevent sticking)
    Salad (add dressing AND/OR pumpkin or sunflower seeds AND/OR nuts)
    Sandwich (make with higher calorie bread or more toppings)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about hair loss, watch that you hit your protein macro. The most efficient protein source for a vegetarian would be tofu.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    As someone mentioned before, together is a great way to get vegetarian protein. If you get silken tofu you can throw it in a smoothie with some spinach, cocoa powder, a date or two, and some almond milk. Really tasty and gives you some healthy calories, fats, and protein. Also, as someone else said, if you're having a hard time eating in the morning, wait. Or have a protein shake or smoothie to hold you over and have a big lunch. Also, you don't have to only have breakfast foods for breakfast. You can eat any good at any meal. Feel free to make a sandwich for breakfast.

You could also do rice bowls. They are my favorite vegetarian meal. Make rice. While that's doing it's thing, saute any veggies you want. Onions, tomatoes, and carrots are a great addition. If you want to add spinach, which I recommend, wait until later since it cools really fast. Once the veggies are almost done, add an undrained can of black beans in a pot with lime juice and seasonings. I usually do chili powder, garlic, and a little Cayenne. Let that cook known. I'm the last 3-5 minutes add spinach. One that's done and the rice is done, combine the two, add salsa, and enjoy. You can add protein if you like.
  • jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Gotta find something you can be consistent with. Watch TV, you'll see 600-pound folk losing 50 per month. And naked and afraid ppl losing 25 pounds in a couple weeks. I wish I could drop weight like that, and I don't ev n need to come down that much!
    That doc in 600-lb life tells em no pasta, no bread, no fruit, and I'm thinking THEN WHAT DO YOU EAT?1!
  • ADeCapua
    ADeCapua Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If your appetite doesn't return soon, in the next few weeks, consider seeing a GI doctor. You might have gastroparesis, or paralysis of the stomach. There is a test they can do that is time consuming in a day, but easy to do. You just eat an irradiated meal of eggs and toast, after fasting the night before, and they take x-ray pictures of your stomach to see how fast it is emptying. If it is too slow, you can take medication to help. I suffer from the condition, but with medication, have no problems eating most foods normally. Just something to consider.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    OP, here is a list of calorie dense foods. It will help you hit your calorie target without feeling over full:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Hey, if you weigh 300 lbs, Considering an average 5 ft 10 inches, 20 something years female, 2200 is your BMR. (BMR means the calories your body burns even if you do absolutely nothing throughout the day). You have to eat less than that or burn some calories to lose weight.
    avskk wrote: »
    ^^ No. You do not need to eat below your BMR to lose weight. You need to eat a deficit from your TDEE, which is a different number, and you need to do it accurately by weighing and logging your food. Please don't attempt to consistently eat less than your BMR.
    This. Eating very much less than your BMR on any regular basis is not a healthy idea.

We're similar: I'm 5'9", weigh 310 lbs, and my BMR is 2061. I've been aiming for 2100 calories/day, and averaging 2075 (although I do have a significant advantage regarding calorie density in that I still eat meat).

Looking at your example daily menu, I wonder if you're getting enough fat. There are vitamins that your body needs to function that can only be absorbed through fat, and fat also plays an important role in neurological (i.e. brain) health. I find that I need about 3 servings/45 grams/405 calories worth of fat per day; or I start to feel sick, hungry, and extremely irritable. Maybe a deficiency of fat (or some other nutrient) could be depressing your appetite somehow?

• imxnianne
    imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Same boat. I'm struggling to eat 1000! I'm losing appetite even though I'm hungry. It sucks!