I am amazed that not many people train their legs

Options
Case point. I rarely, RARELY see anyone train legs other than about 5 bodybuilders I see in the morning, and 2 of the guys are juicers, 1 of them being a guy who always spots me on HEAVY lifts. I also one have seen 1 woman work legs on leg press, squats, and lunges.

Time to ramble a bit....

I weight train 4 days out of the week, do HIIT cardio 2 days, and take 1 day off completely. So another words, I am in the gym 6 days out of the week. I wake up every morning at 4:30am, I'm at the gym by 6:00am and I always see the usual morning crowd at my Gold's, and it's pretty crowded. Mostly it's the same men and women at the gym at that time. Occassionally you will see a new college student come in that thinks he's Jay Cutler and they either end up hurting themselves or they leave a bad impression with the rest of the normal crowd.

There are quite a few lifters in my gym in the morning, both men and women. There are a few women that even go on the barbell side of the gym where all the compound lifts are. They will put some weight on a bench press, military press, etc., and usually ask for a spot which is no problem. But I never see them train legs. I asked one woman if she does barbell squats, dumbell squats, or even lunges.

She said "No, I just run." I nodded and went back to my training. Couldn't believe it. Do people really have this misconception that running whether it's outside in 100% heat or on the treadmill works your legs enough? I mean seriously? How many marathon runners do you know out of the millions that there are have fabulous and porportioned legs? Probably less than 5%. Their legs look horrible. They may have great endurance but you can get endurance doing any HIIT training or sports.

(We'll get back to the entire "running" thing in a moment.)

Then I see quite a few men that don't train legs either, and these guys seem to be pretty serious about bodybuilding. You can always tell the guys that are serious versus the guys that aren't. It's pretty obvious. It's truely mind boggling to me how many people just neglect their leg workout but they bust their *kitten* on their upper body. Or worse, they'll spend 60 minutes doing nothing but crunches for their entire workout sweating up a storm. These guys know that doing that many crunches in your core is actually counter productive right? Apparently not.

Onto the running thing.

People love to run and I respect that. Everyone likes their own version of cardio. Some runners are also training for marathons or 10-15k runs, etc. Awesome.

What boggles my mind is when someone told me the other day that it's better to run outside than on a "stupid treadmill" as they called it. I laughed and asked him why and he said "because you get a better workout running outside in the heat". Needless to say I educated him a little bit by explaining to him that first of all, running out in 100% heat isn't brave, it's stupid. He got offended. Then I proceeded to explain to him that running on the treadmill requires more than DOUBLE the amount of coordination and balance in your entire body over running outside thus giving you more of a workout.

He shook my hand, scratched his head a few times, and then agreed.

Anyways, I'm done here my friends. Just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were on training legs. It's just as important as training upper body. And no, I don't mean just doing leg extensions. =)

Replies

• dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I run... and I work my legs at least 2x a week.... makes me a better runner!
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    yeah tell me about it. yesterday i saw some guy .. his upper body was hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee but u look a few inches down and his legs look like they belonged to a chicken!! lol
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    I see this all to much. There is like you said the occasional guy or woman that does a full out brutal workout on their legs. I hate doing legs. Mainly cause I'm so sore the next day I can barely sit in a chair without grasping something for assistance. But this is because I know I hate legs so I put more intensity into that workout then any other! Legs are very taxing and not really a show body part I guess that's why not many people do them. You can usually tell with male body builders. They look like they will topple over with there huge broad shoulders and teeny tiny stick legs. You need all around training. And as far as running goes it will improve your performance substantially! Do some squats dammit! Stay motivated mfp!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I run... and I work my legs at least 2x a week.... makes me a better runner!
    ^^^ This, and it prevents injuries.
  • rlawrimore
    rlawrimore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I see this a lot. Big guys with massive arms and toothpick legs. I always work legs at least once a week.
  • msblueyes5
    msblueyes5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I run all week and do squats...the squats are what makes my legs look great!! I feel running and squats is all I need right now at this age and health. Without squats I can totally see a difference!
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'm going to open myself up to criticism here, but I have lifted my legs in the past and they get bulky REALLY fast. People can say what they want to say about women not being able to get big muscles but I know how my body responds to weight lifting.

I get the leg shape I want I've been sprinting and doing yoga and yes I have seen a difference. Right now my legs are still covered in an unattractive layer of fat, but I'm happy with the results I'm getting.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I am surprised that more people don't, too. I do leg presses, squats, lunges, leg extensions, standing calf extensions, etc. along with my upper body workouts and cardio on the days in between and also take one day off. I cannot say I pay much attention to the others in the gym as I am usually in a zone, but I will definitely pay more attention now. Oh, and I don't run inside or out, but I do take full advantage of the treadmill and stationary bikes. :bigsmile:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I'd add you might not see women doing lower-body resistance training in the weights room, but you can bet they do far more squats, lunges, leg lift etc, that guys dream of in exercise classes, including with added resistance, such as Body Pump.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Great post.

I'm also a runner, but do strength training that always includes the legs, unless I'm particularly sore from a run the day before. I agree with dragonfly...it makes me run better. Hiking steep hills also helps running on hills. I'm striving to be strong and proportioned overall.

As far as running on the treadmill vs. outside, I prefer running outside because it takes less mental focus, cures boredom and the fresh air makes me happy. However, I live in Minnesota, so I get my fair share of treadmill time during the long, cold winters!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree that you need to train your legs, I don't so much agree on the Treadmill vs. running outside though. I think you can get a great workout with both equally you just have to set the treadmill right, but as far as the treadmill being hands down better I don't agree because there are too many factors that can come into play with running outside.
  • RippedNShredded
    Options
    I rarely see anyone do any leg training at my gym. There's a small percentage that do the leg presses, walking lunges but that's it.

I train heavy on Mondays doing mostly Sumo squats with xxx amount of weights for 6 sets. By the end of my workout my glutes are like an 8 cylinder engine on redline!

Leg workouts helps alot with weight lose.
  • starberi30
    Options
    hmmm... good info to know
  • BlueSkies_12
    BlueSkies_12 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my leg workout!! I have noticed the same thing though, many guys in my gym have legs smaller than my arms!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think Zumba gives me nice legs, but then I really dislike muscley legs. I like smooth firm legs, which I can get from Zumba or running. Maybe not a marathon, but when I used to run 3 miles a day I had nice legs. I have them again thanks to 7 months of Zumba. I think whether you "need" to add weight training for your legs really depends on what look you are going for.

But I think you're right about more coordination needed for running on a treadmill. Weather permitting I always ran outside whether it was hot or cold because when running on a treadmill I tend to run off the side and fall down. I wish that was a joke, but I really am that uncoordinated. :embarassed:
  • bjhadden
    bjhadden Posts: 120
    Options
    I was one of those people who never worked their legs and only ran last summer. Now I have realized that you must work your legs too, so I do leg press and leg extensions. I also have a butt and thigh workout that I do sometimes at home.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    From what I understand you need to work the leg muscles with weights to gain muscle in them. The only thing running (I only do sprint intervals on occasion) will do to your leg muscles is make them smaller. Strong? Sure. But not bigger. My brother was a cross country runner in his younger days (graduated in '90 and our high school still holds his record in the mile run) and the entire cross country track team had long, SKINNY legs.

Give me my lunges, squats and stuff.
  • ivette512
    ivette512 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This is interesting, but I often notice guys at the gym who are huge ontop but have measly little legs. For me, I prefer to work my legs than any other part of my body. I love squats, and lunges. They hurt like hell the next day but are trully worth it.

My husband once said my butt looks better now than when he met me. We've been togehter 18 years, that says alot!
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I guess I never really paid that much attention to what other people are doing at the gym. I do strength training, including my legs. I also try run about twice a week. Leg day is actually my favorite!
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I am surprised you don't see many people working their legs. I alternate working my legs and arms through the week. Usually Monday, Wednesday, Friday I do arms, and Tuesday, Thrusday I do my legs, plus I am doing the C25K program. Until I know I'm not going to hurt myself I don't want to do too much with my legs, but I do a lot of lunges and squats and a few other exercises that many people probably think aren't worth it, but if they make my muscles sore, then they must be doing something!!